Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking of enlarging my hole :yeahsmile:

The hole I'm talking about is the drain hole in the left swingarm, make it say 5-6 mm, or maybe 8 mm which would be even better for the function.

Will an operation like this mean structural damage to the swing?

Do we have any engineers on this forum or other people who really know what they are talking about in this respect?

There is photo of the hole here (scroll down) : http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20359&page=2

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts
Just a thought... IF you enlarge the hole, not only will it drain better, but LARGER things might get lodged in it (mine needed a probe to remove junk).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fasteddiecopeman: Nothing is going in that way. IMHO, 110 percent of the dirt comes from the large hole in the front of the swing, sprayed in there from the rear tire..

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I'd be very careful about modding the swingarm or frame. Lots of stresses there and you drill and hammering on it can cause all kinds of sress risers and other things you DON'T want to have happen.

Ever hear the story of the Comet Airliner, 1st jet airliner. they blew the cabin apart in flight, not a good thing as everyone dies, because the rivit holes where not quite round and smooth causing stress cracks to the point the skin failed.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I'd be very careful about modding the swingarm or frame. Lots of stresses there and you drill and hammering on it can cause all kinds of sress risers and other things you DON'T want to have happen.

Ever hear the story of the Comet Airliner, 1st jet airliner. they blew the cabin apart in flight, not a good thing as everyone dies, because the rivit holes where not quite round and smooth causing stress cracks to the point the skin failed.
the comet also had square cornered windows
they learned not to to do that as soon as they started building ships with steel

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
the comet also had square cornered windows
they learned not to to do that as soon as they started building ships with steel
Had the same effect though. Stress risers and BOOM then the pieces of your plane crash.

They found the problems after filling a plane with water in a large tank and putting pressure to it the metel blew out at the corners and rivit holes, ripped it to bits. There was a good show one it I saw, and learned about it in school.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts