Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I went on a three hour, 100 mile, journey through the hill country of Southwest Indiana. While on my ride I learned some important tips that I'm sure all of you experienced riders already knew, but since I only have 1000 miles on my V (my first bike) I hadn't thought of before.

- Don't forget you have a full face helmet on (with visor closed) and attempt to spit. :eek:

- Don't forget you have a full face helmet on (with visor closed) and attempt to sneeze (20 mins after learning the above item :nono: )

- The stock horn does NOTHING to scare off the two deer standing on the side of the road waiting to jump out in front of you. :forgetit:

- Fresh Chip N' Seal on back county roads was invented by the devil, or at least someone that has never ridden a motorcycle. I never went over 20mph and stopped twice to look at my tires thinking I had a flat. :devil:

- Third gear is my very bestest friend in twisties! :yeahsmile:

- The Versys was built to be ridden in the 6-8k rpm range. :D

- Slide forward in the seat two inches, lock your knees into the tank, and proceed to demolish those twisties with a vengeance. :loveeyes:

Just some stuff I learned today!

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
And no matter what, keep your cool if or when a wasp flies up under the helmet lip and gets tangled up in your beard (beard is optional). I wonder how I know that? :D

Part two goes as follows: if you wear a modular helmet, know precisely where the chin bar release is located. Open same and turn head hard right or left to send wasp on its way - preferrably with stinger intact. :thumb:

Wasps apparently don't like motorcycles and become pretty irate when trapped on one.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Sounds like a good day at school. :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh thought of another.

- With a quick twist of the wrist you really don't need much distance at all in the passing zone to get around slower moving traffic. Keep the revs around 6k and you have an instant 30mph boost of speed waiting in the wings to be called into service at a moment's notice.

·
Super Moderator
19,602 Posts
Done the sneeze in the helmet but never the spit haha.
MANY years ago a bunch of us were at an A&W for a burger, after an evening drinking beer and telling lies. Fellow who's car we were in had washed and detailed it to a HIGH standard, so the glass was transparent. Guy in the front right seat cleared his throat, turned right and "horbed" a 'greenie' through what he thought was the open window....
:badidea:

:D

·
Premium Member
16,218 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
few things I have learned while riding:

burping while wearing a closed full face helmet, very very bad thing, especially after eating something with a strong return odor :eek:

the smell of a dead skunk is bad in a car, on a motorcycle, it's horrendous:eek:

waste water treatment plants, bad things on hot days on a motorcycle :(

trash trucks, bad things to follow on a hot day on motorcycle :(

asphalt snakes, very very bad creatures :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
- Slide forward in the seat two inches, lock your knees into the tank, and proceed to demolish those twisties with a vengeance. :loveeyes:
Funny you mention that, but I recently discovered too(on my 4500 mile trip I just finished) that the Versys is very nicely built for that sliding forward and then jamming your knee into the tank which in turn pushes your feet on the pegs. It's a riding posture that enables you to feel absolutely EVERYTHING the bike does!

(Also, I got a Stebel Nautilus and I love it. Deer and soccer mom alike notice it very very much).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's a few-
It's not always a good idea to try to keep up with your buddy's ZX1000. Bad things can happen...
If you see deer, speed up, it gives them less time to try to run into you.
Always carry some TP or paper towel under the seat. ALWAYS...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quick Tip

Rocks, gravel, dirt, sand, whatever in the oncoming lane can help indicate the road surface on the other side of a blind hill before reaching the top of the hill.

Ill post a pic later- pavement up to the top of the hill, train track at the top, then ggravel on the other side.

Ride safe fellas and ladies

·
Registered
403 Posts
Oh thought of another.

- With a quick twist of the wrist you really don't need much distance at all in the passing zone to get around slower moving traffic. Keep the revs around 6k and you have an instant 30mph boost of speed waiting in the wings to be called into service at a moment's notice.
dude, do you live in orange county, NY? that picture in your sig is rt 218, better known as, "the old mountain" if that's a random find of some twisties, then that's pretty damn cool...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dude, do you live in orange county, NY? that picture in your sig is rt 218, better known as, "the old mountain" if that's a random find of some twisties, then that's pretty damn cool...
Random google image I found. Thanks for letting me know where it is. I've been pretty curious about that!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Slide forward in the seat two inches, lock your knees into the tank, and proceed to demolish those twisties with a vengeance. :loveeyes:
Interesting, I do the exact opposite. I tend to slight my butt backwards so I can turn my hips into the corner which helps turn my shoulders and my knee just drops into the corner.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts