Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I'm Tyson in Milwaukie, OR. My wife rides a 2012 Versys (3000 miles on it) and I've come here for some technical help!

I've read many posts about how the Versys has a troublesome clutch. I'm trying to figure out if it's just me, the bikes normal behavior or if there is actually something wrong.

When I release the clutch the bike seems to start rolling smoothly at first then as I reach the end of the clutch lever travel it kind of jerks forward. It doesn't jerk hard but it's not normal compared to other bikes that I've ridden - including her old Ninja 500R. It's like a delay before the power transfers to the rear wheel. It seems to only effect it noticeably in 1st and a little in 2nd gear.

I've spent hours adjusting the cable, rerouting the cable, lubing the cable, loosening the cable clamp near the steering head, and I even pulled the clutch cover off and inspected/measured the springs, steel plates and friction plates. I also looked at the inner clutch basket (the part I could see externally) and everything looked new.

Keep in mind I'm extremely anal. My wife doesn't notice it, but I'm not sure she knows the difference as there as a large time gap between her Ninja 500R and this bike.

I even took it to a local small dealer/mechanic and he road it around and said he noticed it but that it "its not something that should raise a red flag or anything."

Does your bike feel like this? Arghhh....:mad:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Roxzor,

I kind of know what you mean, but hadn't given it a second thought 'till now.......

Tend to notice it most when taking off from lights with a little enthusiasm.

Changed my oil Monday, so I'll pay a little more attention to it on my way home tonight.

doesn't strike me as a problem, but I'm no mechanic.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Mine doesn't do that. Maybe an oil change would help. Maybe not. Try a different brand. Or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:(

OK. Hmmm. Does the bike just have poor clutch feel? Confusion remains. Does anyone have any idea what kind of feel an upgraded Barnett (or similar) feels like in this bike?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I've never heard of clutch issue on the V.

I've found that using Full Synthetic Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 oil (dark blue bottle at Wallmart, etc.) has made my V shifting a little smoother.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cracked the clutch back open. Apparently the last time I measured I mixed up the lower limit or something. The friction plates were worn out, and a few notches in the clutch basket that I filed down. Whew, glad I wasn't nuts... well not all the way nuts.

Who would have thunk it at a mere 3000 miles. The PO said it was a demo bike. Note to self: Never again buy a demo bike. :)

I'll be putting Rotella T6 in the bike.

Thanks for the moral support.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I was about to suggest checking for notches in the clutch basket. I'm glad you found it out.

I have restored a few vintage bikes (made in the '70's) that had that issue, they had a fair amount of use/abuse before restoring. I initially dismissed the thought that it would apply to a newer bike, but now knowing that it was a demo bike, I suppose it makes more sense.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
sounds like a burnt clutch to me glad you got it fixed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts