Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I dropped my bike tonight. Scratched the bar end, and bent the clutch lever some. It was all my fault. Like a fool I tried to dismount without putting the side stand down, and got my foot caught on the tail bag. Down she went. It pretty much slid down my body into the dirt and gravel. But now that it's out of the way, no need to worry about it anymore. I hope every one gets a good laugh from this. I know my wife and I did. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Too bad 865GreenV. It's a terrible feeling when it's happening. Sounds like you're keeping it in perspective. At least you weren't moving :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dropped mine too... so embarrasing.. I was lucky I had the givi bags on... they took the brunt of the fall.. and the bar end.. otherwise no damage... I was parked on a sidehill and was used to my cruiser with a very low center of gravity. I got on... straightened up and she started to lean and before I knew it she was over. Fortunately the bike is light and I was able to pick it up and drive home. If my cruiser ever went over I'd be calling for help. Just some scrapes on the givi hard bag and scrapes on the bar end.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Everyone keeps saying you need to get a bike drop out of the way, you guys make me nervous as still waiting after 12 months. Glad you have a sense of homour about it and my wife would probably laugh at me to as I have teased her the last 12 months for droping her bike 3 times.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Don't worry about it! It's always good to get that first scratch, dent, or drop out of the way. It's the bike (and yours) commencment into manhood...or some such nonsense.

Kiwi, I haven't done it with this bike either....kinda nervous about it. Maybe I should just go kick it over and be done with it! :)

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I did my drop three bikes ago. Didn't even put the kickstand down & walked away.....Crash :eek: Learned from it and haven't since. Now I pay attention to angle, stand, orientation & give it a little shake each time I park.

Glad you didn't do more damage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Could do it the KLR way!

Do it like a experienced KLR rider. Buy your new KLR, dealer has it in the parking lot in front of the dealership waiting for you to pick it up; walk up to it, kick it over :eek:, then pick it up ;) and ride off.

P.S., I'm a former KLR rider with over 130,000 miles under my belt :guilty:, and I've also 'spin-dropped' my V:D

·
Registered
357 Posts
I almost dropped mine once. In the garage moving it. My foot slipped and it started going down - I couldnt save it it just kept going... until it came to rest on my daughter's mountain bike. The mountain bike kickstand snapped off half way up... The versys ended up resting on the mountain bike with half a kickstand. No damage!

·
Registered
27 Posts
dropped mine a month ago...and i was standing right next to it!!!!! seems i have a faulty kickstand...and thats the story im sticking with!!!!;)...1k in damage...ouch!:mad:

·
Registered
901 Posts
When I bought my first bike back in 1994, a Suzuki GS500E, I drove it home from the dealer on a Friday night Memorial Day weekend. Parked in the garage and went to bed dreaming of my ride the next day.
Morning came and I pulled the bike into the driveway which has a slight downhill grade. Knowing the GS needs about 5-10 minutes to warm up I started the bike and let it run while I geared up...well you might have guessed what happened. Nooby mistake, with the bike in neutral facing downhill it slowly rolled forward and flipped the kickstand up...from about 20 feet away I watched my brand new bike fall onto the concrete....

My neighbor was outside and helped me pick it up. He, a seasoned rider and motor cop, told me it happens to everyone....now the real kicker. Aside from a few scratches, the clutch lever was badly bent and broken...the bike was unusable.... :( so much for my weekend. I scoured every motorcycle shop to find a clutch lever. Finally found a hole in the wall place that had one for an older model in black (mine was silver). Who cares I was back in business.
So I hope that was my one and only drop.....

Don't feel bad happens to everyone.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
IS dropping the bike a ritual or some kind of act to get rid of bad luck.:D

I haven't dropped it yet and trust will not,.

·
Registered
27 Posts
IS dropping the bike a ritual or some kind of act to get rid of bad luck.:D

I haven't dropped it yet and trust will not,.
...well, they say that there are 2 kinds of riders, those who have dropped there bike & those who havent...yet.

take it as u want...got mine out of the way at least!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I put my bike down once. No I did not drop, I was holding it while it was going down. So there was not a scratch on it. This is how it happened. Over a year ago now going up my drive way which happens to be longer and steeper than most. I pull the front breaks a little to hard, the sudden stop made we lean right and backwards. When I tried to put my leg down I pulled and teared my hamstring badly. As you all that practice sports know the pain was too much so I had to put the bike down. With a teared hamstring I had to get the bike up get on it backit onto a flat surface to stabilize it and ride it into the garage. The worse part, I was walking with a cane and could not ride for about a month.

Yes it happened to everyone.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I can't count how many dirt bikes I have had but every one of them has been crashed, dumped, and dropped. Never gave it a second thought.

If I drop the Versys though I'm sure there will be tears. Right after all the swearing.:guilty:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts