Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
It has my attention. I like what. Know of it. We will see after I get a good look up close.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
there are so many great bikes there. but here is the forum of people who love Versys 650, so that post makes no sense.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
there are so many great bikes there. but here is the forum of people who love Versys 650, so that post makes no sense.
Kris, this is in "Other motorcycle Make and Model Discussion" sub-Forum. You don't have to participate in it if you don't want to.

Some of us love all bikes, and are open to new experiences. The only reason I stay on this forum is because my '11 Versys 650 will go down as one of my favorite motorcycles. It replaced my '07 Ninja 650. I am seriously considering buying the new Z650RS when it comes to the states.

·
Registered
MK3 Versys 650
47 Posts
The only thing I don't like about that bike is that just got a brand new V650 :(

I'm one of those who found the MKII V650 vibes annoying, not enough to be a deal breaker though. I've always wanted a bit more power from the 650 and I've never been thrilled by its engine sound.

I had a Daytona 675R and for an engine that could rev up to 15k it made "good" torque down low, felt more or less like a GSXR 750; it is not torquey by any means but it is much more usable than 600s. Vibes on the Daytona were not bad unless you were doing highly illegal speeds, keep it under 10k and it was silky smooth. I can't recall exact MPG figures, but I do recall that it had the same range as my prior GSXR 750 (2013), must have been around 17km/lt under "spirited" riding. Then there is the sound... It was beautiful!

The MKIII Versys... Vibes are better than on the MKII, thats for sure. I also lusted for the bigger tank on the MKIII as sometimes in US/Mexico I found the range with the 19 liter tank a bit tight, but now that I'm in Europe that's irrelevant.

So, 14 extra hp, silky smooth engine that sounds beautifully and a bit less weight; similarly crappy suspension & brakes. On pictures it looks tiny, I bet the MKIII Versys has better wind protection for touring. Really can't justify in my mind selling my 3 month old 650 to buy a new Tiger 660, but if I were buying now I might have gone with the Triumph.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am seriously considering buying the new Z650RS when it comes to the states.
About a month ago I went to a Kawasaki demo day to try the Ninja 1000, it was fine, liked it but did not love. Also tried the Z900RS and it was fantastic. Not sure if you’ve given that one a try but I recommend, it has gobs of characters, great sound and a very torquey motor for an inline four. I told the Kawasaki rep that I would love a small touring bike based on that platform. If I came rigged like an R1250R I would be all over it.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About a month ago I went to a Kawasaki demo day to try the Ninja 1000, it was fine, liked it but did not love. Also tried the Z900RS and it was fantastic. Not sure if you’ve given that one a try but I recommend, it has gobs of characters, great sound and a very torquey motor for an inline four. I told the Kawasaki rep that I would love a small touring bike based on that platform. If I came rigged like an R1250R I would be all over it.
I like the look, and could have actually bought a used cafe for about $7k, but am not really an Inline 4 guy. The Voyager XII had hydraulic valve lash adjusters so the only hassle was syncing the carbs, but after performing open heart surgery on the Concours 1400 to check the 16 valves I vowed never to own an I-4 bike again unless it had hydraulic valve lash adjusters.

I am also over chasing power. I very rarely tap into the full power of the 52 HP Moto Guzzi I own. I do tap into the full power on the Van Van and KLX300SM about 20 percent of the time, and never even come close on the Road Glide.

I'm in the mode of lower maintenance, easier maintenance, lower cost to own but still loads of fun. I just ride narrower, tighter roads these days for the most part.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm getting too long in the tooth to get all excited about new bikes that mostly are simply a new idea on an old theme. But I do have a soft spot for 3-cylinder machines.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am personally excited to see the new Tiger 660. Spoke with one of the sales folks this afternoon. They are now taking deposits and expect to have a couple of them on the showroom floor in December. I have no desire to leave my Tiger 900 at any time. That bike is the perfect sweet spot for me in terms of both size and power. I only wish the cost of ownership was lower. Valve checks every 12K miles is my only gripe. But a price i am willing to live with for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts