Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been to two shops within 100 miles of home and neither of them had the 650 Versys on display. Each had the 1000, but not the 650. The sales guy at the second shop thought that maybe they didn't make them anymore.

Have people noticed this anywhere else - or have I missed some big news?

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you were at dealerships, then I would have to say they are ill informed dealerships. They are very much still making the 650. From what have read, many people still prefer the 650 over the 1000 due to size and weight.

They may be hard to come by due to popularity and difficulty for dealerships to get them and keep them in stock.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
739 Posts
More or less on topic, but I have seen in recent years some dealerships in my area (Minn.) begin to have notably less enthusiasm for the Kawasaki brand. I am speaking of dealers that carry more than one brand to begin with. There are at least two near me that dropped Kawi all together in the last two years. I never heard why.

One of the remaining Kawi dealers I thought I could always count on to be around, I found out lately has sold out to a different dealer whom primarily sells Polaris products, sleds and Victory bikes. I already have an odd feeling that they might drop the Kawi flag too, and run Polaris/Victory from the location of what was my favorite "remaining" Kawi shop.

Back to the OP's topic more directly, the Versy I think has had a history of some 'misunderstanding' by the public, as many don't quite know what it's for, including sales personnel at a dealer. Somewhat like the KLR, the Versys is one of those bikes often made better by it's owner, in terms of touring and other uses..... sadly I think the casual on-looker does not see a Versys for what it could be, or is capable of. I don't see that enthusiasm much relayed on a Kawasaki sales floor. I think awareness is half their problem, they have a great product that does not get promoted as well as it could.

That and they would rather sell you a CONCOURS. :grin2:

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Some of the dealers out here in the country make there money selling side by sides and ATVs. They might have 4 New bikes, and a handful of used on the floor. They don't even bother offering a competitive price on the bikes either.

They rely on folks who don't research bikes that walk in and ask how much a month.

Those of us that research know where the consistent deals are around the country.

My next bike may be an Indian, and I will search out the best deal within 500 miles when I am ready to buy. I am waiting until they mature, and am happy there are early adopters out there who are willing to be the beta testers of the new products.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The guy at the second dealership that said "maybe they don't make it anymore" is an idiot and you should avoid that place at all costs. Most of the Kawi dealers around me have at least one. That is except for the dealership closest to my house, because I bought it. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Two of the three dealers around here had one 650 each. One 650abs, the other dealer a 650LT. But its small potatoes around here, so I'm sure they're being conservative in overhead.

Any dealer can order you a 650, but ya I'd skip over that one place with the salesman said they might not make them anymore :D

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have been to two shops within 100 miles of home and neither of them had the 650 Versys on display. Each had the 1000, but not the 650. The sales guy at the second shop thought that maybe they didn't make them anymore.

It could be bad experience. The first couple go rounds of the 650 had questionable styling. Many sat on floors for years and were likely sold for less than the dealer paid for them just to move them.
The newer more conventional styling seems to be well received, but dealers who were stuck with the older ones may not want to risk it.
Hell, my dealer had 2 V1ks. Mine was sold before it hit their floor, but the other sat around and was sold the following year at a BIG discount.
It's really surprising to me, but like Twowheeladdict said, the off road stuff is what's hot these days. I see the same bikes time after time I visit my dealer. I don't pay attention to the 4x4 stuff as a near 4 decade rider, the extra wheels are never gonna be my thang.
I was talking to the service lady who was swamped. She said she had 160 customers who had their 4x4 recalled that needed parts and appointments. And that's just 1 model sold by that store. They have many more people who need the recall done who didn't buy them at that store too.
Not sure they've sold 160 new bikes in the 10 years they've been in business...
Harley seems to be hurting too. In the 90s, every one that rolled out of the truck had a sold tag on it. Now, they've got hundreds collecting dust on the floors with the new models coming out next month.
I've seen the markups on those bikes and they can range from about 4k on the ~$20k bikes into double digits on the top end stuff. Be interested to see what kind of discounts (if any) they apply to move this year's stuff.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
So you didn't hear the News???

All Versys 650 sales in NM have been withdrawn because of nuclear fallout still present around Los Alamos!!

:wink2:

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's the same situation down here. I live in BFE, the land of 4x4's, SxS's and cruisers. The dealership in West Monroe has every form of Can Am Spyder, 4 wheeler and cruiser you can think off. Over in the corner are a ZX6, ZX10, Ninja650, VulcanS and a new V1K. I talked to the manager one day and he says cruisers and 4X4's are what sells and they don't promote other bikes, he almost seemed like he didn't want to talk about anything but, kinda of an Ahole IMO.On the other hand, the dealership 25 miles north I ordered my new V650 from does have a descent spread of sportbikes/sport tour bikes though. The sales guy was knowledgeable about the Versys and they did have a 2015 on the floor. I asked him how the sales of their sportbikes were, he said surprisingly well. As far as the Versys popularity, I agree with what others on here opinion seems to be, unless you're a real bike person that understands all the different genres of MC's, you just don't get it. I partly blame that on Kawasaki as far as the promotion in the states goes. I can't tell you how many commercials I've seen (recently)for the FZ09 or the "Honda get out and ride event', the new Indian's and even the new BMW scrambler. I've seen notta on the Kawasaki sales event celebrating 50 Years in the US, or ads for the Versys. I have though seen ads for the new VulcanS but just a few and plenty for the Teryx and Mule SxS's. That's not going to change my opinion of their bikes though, just disappointing. On a positive note, I'm glad to see what the Versys platform has become and the improvements made through the years.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you were at dealerships, then I would have to say they are ill informed dealerships.
It was most likely just one uninformed salesperson, but I still have not seen a recent Versys 650 in person. They had a blue '09 on sale out front.

...I will search out the best deal within 500 miles when I am ready to buy.
The problem is that 500 miles will get me to Denver or to El Paso. Even Phoenix is out of reach. There are precious few dealerships around here. Are there well-known dealerships that I should consider here in the southwest?

The first couple go rounds of the 650 had questionable styling.
I resemble that remark. If anything, I have decided that I do not like the new styling as much as the old, but then again, I have not seen a new 650 in person.

All Versys 650 sales in NM have been withdrawn because of nuclear fallout still present around Los Alamos!!
That is a popular misconception. :wink2: Most of the tests were done in Nevada, not New Mexico. Perhaps I should consider irradiating a new 650 Versys with some protons and see if I can get a hybrid 3-headlight beast out of the deal.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
That is a popular misconception. :wink2: Most of the tests were done in Nevada, not New Mexico. Perhaps I should consider irradiating a new 650 Versys with some protons and see if I can get a hybrid 3-headlight beast out of the deal.
The NM V could be a hybrid/hybrid but you'd look quite at home on it with your ET sized head & 11 fingered gloves!!!!:wink2:

PS, for those that are having a problem with my humour me'n'Mursili
are having a joke with each other so l don't need reporting to the mod's or given any more unjustified fking warnings!!!!Rant over....:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
It could be bad experience. The first couple go rounds of the 650 had questionable styling. Many sat on floors for years and were likely sold for less than the dealer paid for them just to move them.
The newer more conventional styling seems to be well received,
Just my two pennies also... If you had asked me what a Versys was before December of last year I would have shrugged my shoulders. Then some dude rounded the corner at BPS on the yellow 2015 and I just stopped in front of him in awe. He kindly asked if I had a problem and my answer was "Yes I'm in love"... Not with him but the style of the bike. He went as far as to offer the chance to take it for a spin. Really nice guy. Probably would have wanted to hold the keys to my Jeep. Have always been partial to the KLR but knew the big thumper was just lacking in perkiness. Researched them for a week and the wife went in for a minor surgery which gave me a chance to take a closer look as I had taken time off also. My local dealer had a white one and the dealer 30 miles away had the green...

I love my white 2015... Next day a fellow was in the dealer and eyeing the bike on the floor. Got to talking to him and he said it sucked that it sold yesterday. He had driven a 100 or so miles to check it out. I told him were the green one was!:grin2:

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Kawasaki has 10.7% of the American market share from what I've read. Adv. bikes are the fastest growing category of bikes right now and the Versys is a popular bike in the Kawasaki lineup. The FJ-09 and Africa Twin are on the top ten sellers list for instance. I'm sure however there are probably differences in regional tastes that may account for your experience. My local dealers cannot keep bikes like the Versys, FJ-09s, and similar models in stock they sell so fast. Kinda surprised adventure bikes are not hot sellers in a place like NM because of the abundant places to ride them. Also if you look at the motorcycle media you will see the Versys gets a lot of coverage because of it's popularity. Still if a sales person is unaware of what bikes are in the lineup I would expect they are somewhat poor at their job.

As a general rule you will get better prices in a larger market like a city and probably more knowledgeable sales staff. You can rent a motorcycle trailer to bring home your purchase for less than $20 a day from UHaul.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kinda surprised adventure bikes are not hot sellers in a place like NM because of the abundant places to ride them.
I would not go that far. It seems that half of the bikes parked at work are BMW R1xxxGS machines, but then Los Alamos is not typical of really anywhere else.

Each of the dealers I looked at had the 1000 Versys present, just not the 650. The dealership in Albuquerque also had the 1000 VStrom and a Super Tenere (if I remember correctly) next to the Versys.

It was the salesman in Albuquerque - as much of a city as New Mexico gets - who was ill informed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The newer more conventional styling seems to be well received, but dealers who were stuck with the older ones may not want to risk it.
Hell, my dealer had 2 V1ks. Mine was sold before it hit their floor, but the other sat around and was sold the following year at a BIG discount.
It's really surprising to me, but like Twowheeladdict said, the off road stuff is what's hot these days. I see the same bikes time after time I visit my dealer. I don't pay attention to the 4x4 stuff as a near 4 decade rider, the extra wheels are never gonna be my thang.
I was talking to the service lady who was swamped. She said she had 160 customers who had their 4x4 recalled that needed parts and appointments. And that's just 1 model sold by that store. They have many more people who need the recall done who didn't buy them at that store too.
Not sure they've sold 160 new bikes in the 10 years they've been in business...
Harley seems to be hurting too. In the 90s, every one that rolled out of the truck had a sold tag on it. Now, they've got hundreds collecting dust on the floors with the new models coming out next month.
I've seen the markups on those bikes and they can range from about 4k on the ~$20k bikes into double digits on the top end stuff. Be interested to see what kind of discounts (if any) they apply to move this year's stuff.
Montgomeryville Cycle in eastern Pa has a sale on 2014s. $4999 which means out the door at $6000. Why they have 2014s I have no idea.

·
Registered
2013 v650
243 Posts
The dealer in Newport News VA had 3 2013 v650 plus 2016 650lt. All 3 of the 2013's sold in two weeks. I got the last one, and someone was looking at it while the paperwork was in work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cycle Trader has 25 dealers selling the 2016

I just purchased a 2016 Versys 650LT based on the average price of Versys on Cycle Trader.

If the dealers aren't nearby, buy a one way train, bus or airplane ticket to a dealer with a low price and ride the bike home. The savings will pay for your trip >:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts