1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had a feeling Erik Buell would be back. He is still building and selling race spec. bikes. Cant see the video but can go the his site and maybe see whats up?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
He bought 200 of his engines from H-D and will start selling bikes built around them as soon as his contract with H-D expires.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you cant see the vid just go on youtube and search for "EBR 1190RS Teaser"

He is releasing a street version of one of the racing modles he sells, the 1190R.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He bought 200 of his engines from H-D and will start selling bikes built around them as soon as his contract with H-D expires.
Word is the contract is up and he needs funding and investors to go balls out. I have already made a donation to his racing team. Anything I can do to get the brand back on the map.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think a lot of us wish him great success. It would be great if he and Mike Czysz could collaborate on something (although Czysz wouldn't need him.) I would dearly love to see a beautiful american bike come to market. Something that isn't a tired-ass overrated piss of **** harley. The problem with the buell is they are uglier than a Baboon's ass. The Ulysses is a hideous bike.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its time we get this country back on the map in many ways and this would be great comeback story.

America needs to have its own sportbike back in the ring, give asia a run for its money..

·
Registered
434 Posts
Its time we get this country back on the map in many ways and this would be great comeback story.

America needs to have its own sportbike back in the ring, give asia a run for its money..
+1, However, unless the economy is allowed to grow, it likely won't happen any time soon. Would YOU invest money in anything right now? Me neither.

V-Zee

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1, However, unless the economy is allowed to grow, it likely won't happen any time soon. Would YOU invest money in anything right now? Me neither.

V-Zee
If I had the money to invest, yes I would invest in certain things. Someone has got to start somewhere.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I tried to buy a Buell. Trouble is, he's got to build a street bike that fits normal sized people. That Rotax is a hoot and a half to ride. I demo'd the cafe bike. What a blast, ear to ear grin but the whole time I knew I wouldn't buy it. Too small.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The trouble with Erik and Czysz both is that they try to go to far to fast with inadequate funding. They both have far out ideas that need to be explored but in order to make money you first have to build something that you know will both work and sell. I think they both just build for themselves. It is the same when we farkle our bikes, that personalizes them exactly the way we want but when we go to sell we find it isn't many others peoples cup of tea so we either remove everything and sell them separately or take a big loss. Firstly, designing, creating, and selling a new sport bike is probably the hardest motorcycle to do, the big factories have too large a head start, I was amazed that even BMW was able to do it straight out of the box.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If I had the money to invest, yes I would invest in certain things. Someone has got to start somewhere.
However, pissing investment money down a hole is not prudent.

Business starts WILL occur, but only when the tax climate becomes predictable and reasonable for small businessmen and women to have an even chance to prosper and develop jobs. The political climate in America MUST change for this to happen.

At some point in time, maybe a "modern" American motorcycle will come to market. I certainly hope it happens in my lifetime, but I'm not holding my breath. In my opinion, too large a number of American motorcyclists are pure "romantics" living in a different social universe and could care less about sophisticated, well engineered, fast, motorcycles of any type.

V-Zee

·
Registered
959 Posts
At some point in time, maybe a "modern" American motorcycle will come to market. I certainly hope it happens in my lifetime, but I'm not holding my breath. In my opinion, too large a number of American motorcyclists are pure "romantics" living in a different social universe and could care less about sophisticated, well engineered, fast, motorcycles of any type.

V-Zee
...aint that the truth, god knows how many HD riders demonstrate that every year (sorry time) they get the bike out and ride it.

the US has a sports bike marketplace, so providing someone has the interest and the cash behind them it can be doen. look at the resurrection of Triumph and Norton. of the two Triumph have been at it for longer and seemingly are doing well. whether they are making money, or even enough money to justify the original investment is a different thing.

Norton are going about the smae process in a different manner. personally I'd be much more worried about Norton as to whether they will last the distance, they are goiong for the high end niche player market, attempting to produce a bike that is evocative of the previous marque's design.. similar to Triumph have done with their retro classics. but the killer in my books is they don't have a dealer network. In the UK you can only buy from the factory, you can only get it serviced from the factory. OK the factory is placed in central England so its not a pain to get to unless you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland. its understandable when you consider they are expecting to make is it 600 of the original 3 designs. no doubt theres more to come but right now its a brave move.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I think a lot of us wish him great success. It would be great if he and Mike Czysz could collaborate on something (although Czysz wouldn't need him.) I would dearly love to see a beautiful american bike come to market. Something that isn't a tired-ass overrated piss of **** harley. The problem with the buell is they are uglier than a Baboon's ass. The Ulysses is a hideous bike.
I met Czysz last week. He was the lead instructor at the Skip Barber Superbike School that I attended. Very cool guy with a true passion for motorcycles. But is really into how to ride better, faster and safer. Really looks at the physics of riding fast. He can really ride!!!

The class was at Laguna Seca and he was tearing it up, as were the other instructors. They finally got me hanging off the seat. Just need to practice more.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Fischer Motorcycles USA

Here's a nice american made sport bike for only Eight Grand.
Hyosung of South Korea is supplying the engine.
Olins....brembo...USD fork...etc.
Mikuni carbs....fuel injection in the pipe line.

I'd buy one!
http://www.fischer1.com/Fischer_Motorcycle.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
hummmm, the site says for price contact your local dealer. If you click on dealers all you get is a page with an application to become a dealer. If you click on "Parts" all you get is page with a rotating bike. Seems they have a LONG rode ahead of them.

·
Registered
434 Posts
...aint that the truth, god knows how many HD riders demonstrate that every year (sorry time) they get the bike out and ride it.

the US has a sports bike marketplace, so providing someone has the interest and the cash behind them it can be doen. look at the resurrection of Triumph and Norton. of the two Triumph have been at it for longer and seemingly are doing well. whether they are making money, or even enough money to justify the original investment is a different thing.

Norton are going about the smae process in a different manner. personally I'd be much more worried about Norton as to whether they will last the distance, they are goiong for the high end niche player market, attempting to produce a bike that is evocative of the previous marque's design.. similar to Triumph have done with their retro classics. but the killer in my books is they don't have a dealer network. In the UK you can only buy from the factory, you can only get it serviced from the factory. OK the factory is placed in central England so its not a pain to get to unless you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland. its understandable when you consider they are expecting to make is it 600 of the original 3 designs. no doubt theres more to come but right now its a brave move.
+1

I'm pretty sure most people don't understand the amount of capital required to produce even one motorcycle and bring it to market. It's stunning. America DOES have a growing sportbike market, but it's still young. It needs to mature. As much as I would like Fischer to succeed, it seems to have much of the same issues as Norton. I'd guess they're undercapitalized. Best luck to them, as well.

Both Triumph and Norton faced many of the same issues, maybe more. However, they had an established recognizable name to market upon. The products changed, but the name is the same. Triumph has seemed to make it over the top, but Norton has had fits and starts. Hopefully, being based once again in UK will give them the ability for success. I think your point about Norton targeting the high end market is valid. Even MB and BMW build lower end cars. GM builds many cars other than Corvettes. It's a fact that entry vehicles supply the money needed to support the high end vehicles. One hand helps the other. Norton has my best wishes.

Just to be clear, I'm not hammering the cruiser riders. They definitely have their sport and social group. I respect it for what it is. I'll never be a part of it, and that's just the way it will be. I just feel that segment is so large that any new company or investor coming into the motorcycle market is justifiably intimidated with the task of developing enough interest in a new American sportbike product and making a profit.

V-Zee

1 - 20 of 22 Posts