Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a Pyramid Hugger from Amotostuff and finally got around to the install with a new chain at the same time.

It all went swimmingly until I noticed a wierd grinding noise which ended up being the chain grinding again the Pyramid Huggers Figreglass... see attached pic.

It's certainly nothing half an hour with a dremel or file didn't solve but still it worth looking out for! Before you set off on your post hugger install ride, flex the chain up and down to make sure you have more than a couple inches of play between the plastic and links. :yeahsmile:

Paz,
CC

·
Registered
268 Posts
Can we get a full picture of what your hugger looks like?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be happy to but will wait for a nice day to take a pic. I don't think garage shots give a very flattering imageg of bikes and their lines...

C

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
Check out Skidmarx in previous posts, chain guard is part of hugger, IMO it is the best for the money, will also work with Speedy's lowering kit with minor modifications.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THe hugger itself is not bad at all. The fibreglass is good and the paint job is consistent. It's simply a problem with the shape they used not taking into consideration enough chain clearance and the problem can be fixed very easily.

CC

·
Registered
813 Posts
THe hugger itself is not bad at all. The fibreglass is good and the paint job is consistent. It's simply a problem with the shape they used not taking into consideration enough chain clearance and the problem can be fixed very easily.

CC
If the shape of the hugger is the problem, then I would consider the Hugger itself the problem... that's just me though. When I pay extra to have a custom fit piece (this is made specifically to fit the V, yes?) then I excepect it to properly fit...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting. When you buy a new bike do you expect it to have no problems?

I had a Pyramid hugger on a Bandit1200S which was a perfect fit and quite affordable to boot. Maybe they'll change it for the V but maybe not and if you feel the extra hundred bucks is worth 20-30 minutes of your time then you're obviously a richer man than I!

:D
CC

·
Registered
813 Posts
New bikes have their issues, it's true. But I would excpect it to run!

Just like I would excpect the hugger to fit.

I mean, how can they sell a hugger, claiming it fits the V,when it obviously does not. Sure it does with modification, but that's not how they advertise it... nor is that what they (those who bought it) paid for.

·
Registered
959 Posts
But the Versys is not a "new" bike to Pyramid, they have had since 2007 to sort this out, bearing in mind they are a UK company and the Versys was launched in Europe in late 2006

as their hugger is GRP or Carbon Fibre Im guessing its going to be hand layup, or at least on a fairly easy to modify plug. That they haven't chosen to correct the problems indicates (to me) one or more of
they don't know about the problem
they don't care about the problem
there aren't enough sales to make them think its worthwhile to change the design
or possibly their production control & QC isn't good enough tomake sure they produce a consistent product.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If you go to the UK Versys site , a lot of people there have had this problem with Pyramid,its the main reason I didn't buy one, and its been going on for a couple of years.I think Pyramid should consider redesigning the hugger if the current one doesn't work.Reguardless of any past experiance with Pyramid,this is shoddy service,not responding to a known problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts