Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered this the other day. I was riding to catch a Ferry to take me to the main land, as I live on an island. The f car decided to turn right when I was passing it. This is very common here in Thailand, but it is even more common in India. I lived in Asia most of my life. So what these guys do is that they signal the turn at the very moment when they turn, or even after the fact. It defeats the very purpose. It does not serve anymore as a warning, obviously. And that pick up truck hit my bike, even though I did all I could to get out of the way. but because of my plastic top box that was hit, the car did not knock me out. Just saying.

I am now getting H&B side cases for my 650. I usually just put a bag on the rear seat, but fitting stuff in boxes is just more convenient. So based on my recent experience, I opted for plastic cases (journey is the name) ones. Anyone has experience with them? Anyway, my point is that if you hit something with these plastic cases, they just fall off, instead of the bike falling, and you ending up in hospital. I am one of those guys who do not have insurance :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
In my mind there is very little difference other than metal ones will take more of a hit before they break. The end result is the same. If somebody hits you hard enough you are going down. In a lot of cases soft luggage is a better way to go as it won't trap your feet and they have some give to them. Soft luggage is lighter but not always pretty.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in SW Motech, the metal cases will maybe be bent but they will remain in place. With H&B the side cases will just disengage from the bike. I was hit on the top case, but because it is softer so it did not resit the hit but rather took it in like a rubber which did not upset the bike so much.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
In a lot of cases soft luggage is a better way to go as it won't trap your feet and they have some give to them.
soft luggage can trap your leg or foot just like any other, but usually it won't break any bones. hard luggage, plastic or aluminum, will break bones, and that's why i don't use them. soft luggage generally has a lot of give in the mounting system, and tends to stay mounted if the bike flops.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
soft luggage is another option assuming that it is good quality and holds its shape, and not flopping around. I am riding the bike mostly on highways, so I cannot see how the side boxes can break your bones. in fact, should you drop the bike, the size cases can protect your body from the bike falling on you at certain angle. the only danger is the one can forget how wide the bike has become and hit something in the traffic. I need to remind myself this often when I am overtaking other vehicles. However, with the [email protected] plastic cases, the case would just fall off from the rack rather than dragging the bike. I had this funny experience long time ago when I was taking the Tiger 800 out from the showroom and hit the exist door :). I did not hit it strongly just ever slightly, and the case dropped from the bike. I think that this does provide some kind of security in situations like this. There is actually a person who makes safe-hinges system for the Pelican side boxes so that they disengage during accident.

I have heavy duty sw motech cases on Versys 1000. but one more reason why I chose plastic cases for 650 is that they are much lighter.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm not a fan of cars turning suddenly... as happens a lot here as well. So I follow at an appropriate distance.
I AM a fan of soft bags for luggage. The only possible drawback as I see it is security. Other than that they are much more flexible (physically and in usage) than hard.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, but here with lots of rain hard cases are very convenient.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, now, I fitted HB side boxes. Junior they are called. they are really nice looking on the bike. regarding the safety, if you hit the car or anything, they will absorb the hit, and it if the hit is too strong, they will just fall off instead of dragging the bike. they are so much more convenient than side soft bags or a top soft bag on a seat. This is what I think at least. and they have two hatches which is nice and can be closed without a key. I usually do not use a key; it is not that anyone is going to steel my clothes:}
Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle
Plant Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Luggage and bags

1 - 8 of 8 Posts