Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have this problem? It happened to me already 3 times, for no apparent reason. The top bolt with the plastic washer was tightened very light. It starts to piss me off. This time, I did not get a new panel, but fixed it with superglue mixed with washing powder (something that I learnt from my mechanic), and added some rubber on top. The panel not only had a crack, but the top part completely separated from the rest.
viber_image_2021-02-20_08-45-00.jpg
broken fairing.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Right next to the tank? Touchwood, mine is OK.
There cannot be much stress there? With Allen keys tighten up holding the short end, unscrew holding the long end.

BTW Superglue and baking soda.(As a filler)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I agree the plastics are thin on the VX-300, but man, you have the worst luck with this bike. If I was in your shoes, I'd be getting me something else.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right next to the tank? Touchwood, mine is OK.
There cannot be much stress there? With Allen keys tighten up holding the short end, unscrew holding the long end.

BTW Superglue and baking soda.(As a filler)
there is some stress coming from how the panel is attached to the side. and yes, baking soda should work just as well.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree the plastics are thin on the VX-300, but man, you have the worst luck with this bike. If I was in your shoes, I'd be getting me something else.
you mean a different bike? I put too much money into modifying it in all kind of ways ,,,,

·
Registered
2 Posts
So that fastener is obviously pulling down too hard. Have you tried loosening all the other ones, tightening up this one first, and then snugging down the others? Is the tab it mounts to bent?

Something seems really wrong there and abnormal. Shouldn't need to do this but maybe a thick spacer or washer of some sort to keep it from pulling down so hard?

If it happened 3 times I'd be p!$$ed too. But letting the same mistake happen 3 times kind of starts to sound like an assembly error. Have you got a second opinion? Has this been happening to anyone else?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So that fastener is obviously pulling down too hard. Have you tried loosening all the other ones, tightening up this one first, and then snugging down the others? Is the tab it mounts to bent?

Something seems really wrong there and abnormal. Shouldn't need to do this but maybe a thick spacer or washer of some sort to keep it from pulling down so hard?

If it happened 3 times I'd be p!$$ed too. But letting the same mistake happen 3 times kind of starts to sound like an assembly error. Have you got a second opinion? Has this been happening to anyone else?
yes, you are right. the panel enters the holes with rubbers and it does not enter deep/snug enough. i don't think there any bolts there, not sure

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
Looks like right throttle side. What model year is this? If a MK-2, I think you should do a real close inspection of the engine mounting bolts, particularly the throttle / right side. On the MK-1 many had to add a couple washers on the right side. Also check your rubber mounts for the gas tank!! ( Which I think is the root cause) .Have you modified the front of the seat mounting bracket which supports the gas tank?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like right throttle side. What model year is this? If a MK-2, I think you should do a real close inspection of the engine mounting bolts, particularly the throttle / right side. On the MK-1 many had to add a couple washers on the right side. Also check your rubber mounts for the gas tank!! ( Which I think is the root cause) .Have you modified the front of the seat mounting bracket which supports the gas tank?
I have the new model. I don't know, is it MK-2? I did not modified the seat mounting bracket. How would engine bolts relate to this issue? the rubber mounts for the gas tank or the rubbers into which the side panel enters? thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a look at mine while drinking a coffee. It doesn't look like an easy fix because the broken bit is not flat so not easy to reinforce from the backside. Using, say, aluminium self-adhesive tape found in all Thai hardware shops. Except for the cracks that spread out from the hole, they can be reinforced to stop propagation.
Then remove the old one and use the super glue/baking soda powder trick and finish with gold paint like Japanese Kintsugi.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
OK That is a MK-3 , 2015 or newer. Now I see that is taken from front left facing rear. Several things to observe, the plastic closest to the seat has two push in rubber mounts. Also at the top , a bolt goes directly into the tank bracket, that tank flexes on the rubber mounts, also the seat shares the same flexibility.Also have a real close look at the rad hose coming out of the T stat. The front of that plastic needs to be fitted into the upper plastic from the headlight, the push pin found at the bottom front should go in real easy.

Note the two rubber mount locations at the front, it is vital that all this fits in correctly.

Not easy to see but this is what your left side should look like, there is also a push in rubber mount on the lower plastic that tends to pop out due to the rad hose

·
Registered
88 Posts
The push in studs need some silicone lubricant on them when installing. Otherwise they may not seat properly, causing misalignment and excess strain is when tightening the screw attachments.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you guys for all the input! much appreciated!!! I order a new panel (it is cheap here, like 30usd), so I will pay attention to all the details mentioned, so that it will not crack again!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts