Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here it is guys. I am wanting the advise of my fellow V riders. I will soon be able to start putting some more fun into my V (gigady). What would be my best start on fine tuning my Versys. I want to up the ponies but it will still be my daily commuter. Should I be looking at a PC unit or help it breath better with a header set like the Arrow full racing exhuast. Help feed my obsession:thanx:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess this is literally the opposite of your intentions, but I'd consider throwing some steel braided brake lines on there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
easy to see after reading your replys there is not much you can do to up the ponys. im willing to bet an upgraded black box does almost nothing. there are alot of ways to upgrade the way the bike sounds and looks and youll have fun doing it. ive had lots and lots of bikes and can tell you from my point of view the versys is right at the top as far as fun factor.

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
+1 to what the others have said...it's more about personalizing her 'cause you aren't going to get significant gains but maybe enough improvements to make you love her even more. For me it was a different exhaust, ss lines, different pads, better tires..... :clap:

This vid is pretty much legendary as far as the V goes and it's pretty much a stock bike with a great rider........

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hey, where's that "Skizzo" guy when we need him? :devil:

You could try tightening the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
A nice slipon is a good start. :) Ive got a leovince underbody can, and i can recomend it. Heres a link to a comparison video i made:

No Video

Allso, it would help to go on a diet. Atleast for me it would. :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That muffler sounds great. I think that may be my first purchase. I think letting it breath better will be key, plus the sound sold me. Trust me I ride this bike like it should be ridden but if I can tune this bike up a bit more I will.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Replace your air filter with a DNA high flow rate. Would feel better throttle response. The stock tires, they are scary stuff. I find I had to lean more to make the turn as the tires are slipping and are taking away the fun.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If you are really above 7k Rpm in every gear and still want more power then a stronger motor is a good option.
You could always try to shave as much wight of the bike as possible.
Aftermarket muffler will be 3-5kg lighter. Remove the rear trellis frame (it does affect structure of the bike, but it depends on your use of the bike) and grab handles.
Aftermarket aluminum handlebars. Stock bars are very heavy.
Use OEM wind screen instead of big aftermarket ones.
Theoretically, if you change the headlight bulbs to HID and posi-lights to LED less power will be wasted on making electricity.
If you can afford it, consider replacing the wheels with lighter ones from sport bikes.
Consider new suspension all around or at least new springs for a maximum feedback.
Good brakes will make you go faster.

What I consider most important: spend big money on a sticky race tires. Corner speed and grip is where the fun is and good tires will give you this.

I never seen a report about an aftermarket air filter making a difference for the Versys. On the contrary.

Or,
Go to the dealer and trade in your Versys for a Versys1000 or KTM SMT and hold on to your pants. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you really want more power, save your money until you have enough to buy a faster bike. Ride the Versys and enjoy it, in a few years you will have enough cash to trade it for a faster bike. I don't need more speed and am happy with my bike but I bought it knowing it wasn't too quick or fast.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you are really above 7k Rpm in every gear and still want more power then a stronger motor is a good option.
You could always try to shave as much wight of the bike as possible.
Aftermarket muffler will be 3-5kg lighter. Remove the rear trellis frame (it does affect structure of the bike, but it depends on your use of the bike) and grab handles.
Aftermarket aluminum handlebars. Stock bars are very heavy.
Use OEM wind screen instead of big aftermarket ones.
Theoretically, if you change the headlight bulbs to HID and posi-lights to LED less power will be wasted on making electricity.
If you can afford it, consider replacing the wheels with lighter ones from sport bikes.
Consider new suspension all around or at least new springs for a maximum feedback.
Good brakes will make you go faster.

What I consider most important: spend big money on a sticky race tires. Corner speed and grip is where the fun is and good tires will give you this.

I never seen a report about an aftermarket air filter making a difference for the Versys. On the contrary.

Or,
Go to the dealer and trade in your Versys for a Versys1000 or KTM SMT and hold on to your pants. :)

I will not part with my V yet... Thanks for these tips guys...:goodidea:

Also will drop a few pounds myself for my V. Its so much fun I just want the best out of it. So muffler, tires and new brakelines and then the air filter. But first the 24,000km service.

·
Registered
59 Posts
:thumb: Wish you the beste of luck, and i hope you have a lot of fun with it. :) I allmost forgot.. If you are tired of allways trying to find the "7th gear" there is a thing called GIPRO GEAR INDICATOR" that is a easy install and well worth a look. :cheers:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Just my 2 cents. This is probably not what you want to hear but I think sage advice. After market exhausts have very low benefit/cost ratio on the Versys. They also add $0 to the resale value. This is because:
a) exhaust mounted below center of gravity so ~5lb weight saving has negligible effect
b) 3-5% max increase in horse power occurs only at top end of rev scale. At mid range power the performance improvement is negligible. After market exhaust reduce back pressure mostly at the top end of the rev scale. The Versys has an engine optimized for low to mid range power delivery. In reality the power increase would only be detectable in doing 1/4 mile runs and timing to tenths of a second accuracy and not noticeable in street riding situations.

By the time you invest in an aftermarket exhaust and power commander you would have been better off getting a bike with a bigger engine if HP is the goal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree, the hp gain isnt worth the cost. But for me, and i expect a lot of others, the sound is worth the cost. It makes my rides even a little more fun, and that is worth some money. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts