Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I had a good ride with a KLR buddy (tried the KVR with him till he had a flat a few weeks ago, written up here:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16442 ).
Met him in Peachland on Okanagan Lake, and almost immediately I followed him onto dirt and gravel, headed WSW on Princeton Ave which, I guess, is the old road to Princeton. Lots of washboard which was NOT fun, and dusty, heading up-and-over, then we were into the woods on a semi-gnarly 2-track. I stayed back out of the worst of the dust, up-on-my-footpegs and tentative on the corners due my OEM Dunlops, but Ray said I was keeping up to his '09 KLR pretty well. Going over a particularly nasty bump I saw something 'departing' the Green Hornet, realized it was my GPS, so I stopped to go back and retrieve it. :huh:

That was my opportunity to "stop the dust" on a small portion of the trail, so then I did up my riding pants, re-mounted and forged on west. Ray was waiting at a crossroad, told me we could ride the KVR (Kettle Valley Railroad) ahead and to the right, and motioned for me to lead instead of eating his dust, which I did. After around 50 kms the gravel ended and we rode a really NICE twisty paved road to the town of Princeton, where we had lunch. :goodidea:

We suited-up again, then turned east, and onto the OLD Crowsnest Pass Hwy 3 - usually within visual range just north of the present Hwy 3. Paved and VERY scenic with lots of corners, but too soon it "tee'd" into Hwy 3, which took us into Hedley, scene of an old, rich gold-mine, some of which is built high above the valley on a ridge-line - check my pictures. Several kms east on 3 brought us to a sign pointing north "Corkscrew Road", dirt, and I followed Ray up a rapidly rising series of switch-backs as we climbed out of the valley we were in, over top of the mountain (ALL dirt! :yeahsmile:), then down into the Apex Mountain ski area from ABOVE, where the road became paved, again nice, twisty, lots of switch-backs heading down to the town of Penticton. :D

From there Hwy 97 is about 50 or 60 kms to my place passing thru Summerland and Peachland before reaching Kelowna. The ride was 326 kms (202 miles) of which I estimate 100 (62 miles) was dirt and gravel, taking 7 hours on a GRAND day. :thumb:

All in all - a pretty good day on my 'street only' Versys...! :thanx:

(The map showing Hedley shows the "Corkscrew" just east of town. The 5th picture shows the ridge with buildings in #4, to show how high they are!)

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've done that road from Hedley to Penticton a few times (although I always thought it was called "Nickle Plate Road") including the last time in 2009:

It's a blast and I reccomend it to anyone in the Penticton area. Good times, good times :thumb:

-Whitey Jr

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whitey -
Wish I'd taken a picture of the road sign, so I'm PRETTY sure it said "Corkscrew", but the road DEFINITELY goes by the Nickel Plate Mine up at the top.

Helluva road! :thumb: :yeahsmile: :clap:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts