Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Do You Become Emotionally Attached to Your Bike(s)?

• Yes

• No

• Sometimes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, my beloved V1k has sold. If there is any comfort to be found here, it‘s that it was sold to a very nice guy who is planning some epic adventures. I’m sure they will both be happy.

When I put my V1k up for sale, I turned down quite a few offers. I know, it sounds pedantic, but I’m not a guy who compromises on things I care about deeply. Some were low-ball offers. A few wanted the bike for parts. Never figured that one out. A few guys were just schmarmy - I didn’t trust them for whatever reason. I listen to my gut. In the end, a new owner who really wanted her to ride distances and explore new adventures appeared. This is exactly what the V1k was designed for and wants to do. I just know these things about her.

Once all the details were in order, I delivered the bike from my house to that of its new owner - roughly an eight mile ride in and out of traffic. As I navigated, ducked and dodged, I was reminded of all of the things I enjoyed about her. She is quick, fun, predictable, playful and has very few design flaws - and it shows. We laughed as we played amongst those oh so distractible cagers. It was a bittersweet final ride for us. We were together once again - and we were happy.

I named her Moxie Bug-buster soon after I’d purchased her. She’s indeed agile - if not flickable. She looks great, is always ready for what’s next, and has never given me a moment‘s trouble. Never knew a woman like her - which brings me to the point of this post. Why do we become so attached to motorcycles and cars and other things we tend to anthropomorphize? I‘ve never developed attachments to my mailbox, television, or blender for that matter. So, why did I to my bike?

It may be things like bikes let us escape from our humdrum everyday lives and represent a last bastion of freedom in an otherwise formulaic and staid world - but I’m not sure. Maybe I’m just nuts. My admin considers that idea routinely. All I know is that I tend to become attached to my bikes and cars and boats for reasons unknown. They may be formed of plastic and metal, but somewhere amongst all those clattering parts, I find a soul of sorts that speaks to me in ways I understand. For now, I’m good with the explanation that they bring me joy and allow me to connect with the world outside of my office like nothing else does - and perhaps a bit of my more playful and unconstrained self that used to manifest itself far more often than today. These are simply happiness machines. Need I say more?

So, do you become attached and why do you think we do this?

Reactions: weljo2001

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
I always get attached to my bikes. Thats the reason i don't really care if my V-1K sells. Even though I'm not riding it i can still go out to the garage and look at it and think about the good times we shared.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
I teared up when I left my first bike behind and rode off on my second bike. I don't know why, but I think it's because of memories made with it. I like to think each of my previous bikes went to someone who deserved it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great question. I thought about it and concluded that I do become attached to my bikes, but I don't anthropomorphise them. It's more that I become attached in the same way I value any other tool in my garage that works well.
But, the wife insists on naming them so maybe I'm not as rational as I think I am😏

Reactions: Shibumik
1 - 4 of 4 Posts