381 - 400 of 405 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
let's see, where were we, some delayed bike prep and trip check, fix a fuse issue, that sort of thing.

one item that's been on the list for quite awhile is to swap in a non-OEM thermostat, specifically a Stant.

no, i didn't dream the whole thing up on my own this time around, it comes courtesy of that mystery man residing in the great white north, ya know, the same guy who claims to have a 650 engine in his Versys. i kinda looked at it this way, if this Stant worked in his 650 engine, it sure as heck should work in my 650 cop motor.

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
what kind of prepper/hoarder are you anyway? you're supposed to bury them in the backyard and not tell anyone.
Dave - I SAID that I've got THREE or FOUR, but failed to mention that you gotta use a shovel to get them.

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts
all i can say is that the ship has now sailed, expect uninvited guests with metal detectors.
I find it hard to believe that you haven't solved the issue. I recall photos of yours with miles of Kawasaki wiring. First place I would look is the regulator positive wiring. Second place would be the harness to the key switch and kill switch.
They make 40 amp fuses-- not a fix but eventually the magic smoke should give you hints.

Reactions: Exiled2earth

·
Registered
09 v650, 00'r1150gs, 83' r80rt
254 Posts
I find it hard to believe that you haven't solved the issue. I recall photos of yours with miles of Kawasaki wiring. First place I would look is the regulator positive wiring. Second place would be the harness to the key switch and kill switch.
They make 40 amp fuses-- not a fix but eventually the magic smoke should give you hints.
magic smoke.....what are you uh..toking?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
magic smoke.....what are you uh..toking?
i can't say for sure whether all these Canucks have been on the bong since 2018 when they legalized weed up there, but in certain instances, it sure sounds like it. ya know, the PUI posts, can't miss 'em.

let's see, add a 40A fuse to the circuit with all them big wires, the ones right next to all the...gaaaaz-oh-leeeena.

i do know what the problem is with the circuit, i just haven't taken photos with added narrative yet. the fix is on the schedule, the bike needs to be on the road pronto.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #392 ·
Recreational retail locations available in Michigan, not that I’d know 😁
i think you once knew, but have forgotten, no surprise there.

the retail dispensaries in Michigan are there to take the residents' attention away from the predicted brownouts and blackouts this summer...the stoners won't notice.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #395 ·
headed back to West Virginia, and while i had identified the problem with the blown 30A main fuse, i hadn't done the fix, no available time but now some minor bike prep. the bike had been gone over before the last trip out there, that little electrical thing was all that was needed.

when the bike blew the 30A mains the last time out there, i took the seat off, raised the tank, couldn't see any issues, put it all back together, and blew up more fuses on the way home. i did make it all the way back, but maybe i should have looked a little harder when i was parked on the side of the road.

the leg of the main between the regulator and the shock contacts the line from the rear brake reservoir to the rear master. somehow during assembly, one of those small three ear low pressure clips was left mid way down that line between the harness and the frame. the clip was behind the harness, out of sight, and the ears on the clip wore through the paint on the frame and dug a nice little hole into the harness...dead short, a small error during assembly that came back to bite me in the butt.

both the hose and the harness have been pulled out in the open to get a photo and make the repair, otherwise they're tucked back in there behind the shock, no way to see the damn clip.

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Dave - a LOT of guys would NOT admit that they'd 'made a little owee' when fixing something.
Good on you for doing so!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #399 ·
Dave - a LOT of guys would NOT admit that they'd 'made a little owee' when fixing something.
Good on you for doing so!
not the first time i've documented a mistake. this one killed a trip near the start, but others ate up a bunch of valuable time in the shop...been a bunch of those.

i have no idea how that clip came to be there, it served no function.

bike took a pounding on some of those roads, but ran great, plus it stayed right side up. there are some stories from this trip that will wait for another day.

i have to say, riding this V649 across the mountains on challenging roads is exhilarating. for the most part, there's simply no one else out there, it's a unique experience in this increasingly crowded world.

381 - 400 of 405 Posts