Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
361 - 380 of 405 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm a fan of hot chocolate; it's my drink of choice actually. The real stuff, as you'd find in Europe... dark chocolate melted down with just enough cream or milk to make it drinkable. A bit of salt, vanilla, and some cayenne on the top is a beautiful thing.

Whiskey enjoyed by a fire... after a ride... is another one of life's simple pleasures.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #365 ·
bike broke just as i turned up the gravel in West Virginia, story to follow when i determine the cause. bike is back in the shop, and ready to run up on the lift for a tear down.14 hour travel day, full of frustration, but i made it back.

i got parked by a bad wheel bearing last season in West Virginia. technically i didn't get parked this time, but it was enough of an issue that it was prudent to change direction, the road i was on ran me 25 miles to camp, all gravel, and i couldn't take a chance on getting stuck back in there. my bikes are always well prepped, at least that's what i say, maybe it's not quite that absolute. even when run hard, they shouldn't break.

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #368 ·
Ugh... sorry to hear that.

Did you have the petcock in the proper position?
maybe, but the problem is more likely related to:

wrong oil, wrong oil filter, wrong air filter, wrong front sprocket, wrong tires, wrong battery, wrong chain, wrong regulator, wrong fuel pump, wrong exhaust, wrong handlebars, no ECU flash, no throttle body sync, no brake fluid flush, no coolant flush, no pre-trip dealer inspection...and i ate the wrong popcorn the night before. gotta be somethin' on the list, i'll narrow it down, let ya know.

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
the guy is not asking about the angle of your pet cock, he's asking about the location of your pet rooster, at least i hope so.
Is that 'similar' to a pee-cock...?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
671 Posts
You guys are a mess 😂

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
from two weeks ago, bike all loaded up for another camp off the bike trip in West Virginia.

250 transit miles, then 100' up the first gravel road the V649 quit, stopped dead without a spit or sputter, WTF. main fuse, pulled the seat, lifted the tank, nothing obvious, all good. replaced the 30A fuse with the spare on the bike, it started right up, then went over to the little hole-in-the-wall auto parts store and bought all their 30A blade fuses, a total of 3. the second attempt on the same road got me a mile farther, same thing, blown main.

camp was 24 miles of gravel into BFE, and i wasn't about to take the bike apart back in there, better turn for the barn. a few more blown fuses, and 14 hours later, i was back to the starting line, bike on the lift. i was so disgusted with the whole thing that i haven't even bothered to look at it since, but a new ride is coming up, so i need to get it fixed...as soon as i figure out what needs fixin'. all kinds of custom wiring on these bikes, the only previous problem was a defective relay, and in this instance there were no other blown fuses, OEM or those in aftermarket fuse holders.

i'll let ya know what i find.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
671 Posts
Good luck 👍🏻

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #377 · (Edited)
Can never have enough of those main fuses!
i bought all the 30A fuses in the whole county, then i crossed back over the line into Virginia and bought all the 30A fuses in that county. there's way more to the story, it was a long frustrating day, that's why they call it adventure riding.

so the corollary is...ya can't have enough 30A blade fuses when you find yourself in the wilds of BFE.

when i got home i parked the bike, screw it, but did take a minute to grab a ziplock full of old full size blade fuses, sorted out ten 30A fuses and stuck them in the tank bag. i had more standard blade fuses in all sizes than the two little auto parts stores combined.

the next trip will have two V649HP bikes on the gravel, each built to a slightly different spec, should be interesting.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #378 ·
Good luck 👍🏻
luck is nice, but i'd rather be both lucky and good.

i always say my shit doesn't break, but i guess anything can. this is the second season with a bike problem. last season i had a front wheel bearing disintegrate, never have seen one worse, then a main fuse issue already this season. crazy, usually a bike gets parked because ya flop it.

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·
IF it can happen to Dave.... My God!

o_O (n)
holy cow, now there's going to be a worldwide run on 30A fuses, supply chain problems beyond description, the moto world equivalent of the baby formula crisis.

i wonder if them euro folks have a good supply, we'll need to fly in plane loads of fuses, i mean like millions, possibly bazillions.

361 - 380 of 405 Posts