Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
261 - 271 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
69 Posts
Pressure washers are fine if you be smart about it...... just don't go sticking a high pressure jet anywhere..... but, I use it only to get the big pieces off, hand wash after.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Pressure washers are fine if you be smart about it...... just don't go sticking a high pressure jet anywhere..... but, I use it only to get the big pieces off, hand wash after.
now i can say i've heard everything, a Canuck saying go easy with a pressure washer. Canuckistan is the place where they use an ocean of calcium chloride on their gravel roads, the same stuff that becomes pig poop silt when applied. as we all know, it dries to concrete hardness, not mud, and will be found covering your entire bike. it doesn't rinse off, in fact, you can barely get it all with a pressure washer.

that's why any Canuck with a pressure washer car wash charging a loonie per minute at the ends of those roads can retire in style to Baja, maybe join our forum moderator in Arizona, or buy a cute rancher in south Florida painted all those Bahamian colors. if you add hot water and then charge a toonie per minute you can get down there a little quicker. it's a track meet at the pressure washer joint if you want to get anything clean for less than $10cd.

let me bottom line the whole deal...

i pressure wash, lately with a foam cannon. period.

if you don't want to pressure wash, that's ok with me. period.

oh yeah, don't be like Eduardo and shoot body parts with that cannon...keep it aimed where you want to shoot, like a real cannon.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
out riding sections of the MABDR, a combination of pavement and gravel along the route. the gravel roads went from routine to very challenging, but no extreme hero stuff.

bike did real well, i had a 450 hike just to get to the start, rode 400 miles of the route, and then 250 miles home. riding those transit miles at 80 cruise, and being able to perform on the gravel, is an advantageous aspect of these bikes.

right side up...

[IMG]

right side down...

[IMG]

i didn't flop the bike just to get a photo of the subframe, but it shows that all the miscellaneous OEM components on the underside of the subframe have been removed, there's an aluminum plate instead. now there's room for all the wheel travel that you can get out of the R1 shock.

i put the bike on the ground several times, all low speed operator error events, didn't break anything.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
no way of saying for sure whether the rocks would have taken out the clutch cover, but i'm glad i fabbed up an extra lower hoop for the engine guards...

[IMG]

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
i need to be way west for some scheduled riding days, but who knew, along comes Elsa with tropical storm wind and rain...ain't going to ride through that, no fun at all.

circumstances turn the V649 into a hitch hiker, literally.

[IMG]

i felt that the gear load on the bike was too heavy on the recent BDR ride, even though i was carrying the same or less than past multi day rides. i wanted to decrease both weight and volume for this trip, so i emptied all the luggage and started over, then weighed the results. right now the panniers/cross bag with contents weigh 55#, with the weight being nearly evenly distributed between the three.

there are two FoodSaver meals in there, two 1L fuel bottles, a large spray can of WD40, and 1L of water, so i'm thinking not too bad for a big bike. i got rid of some things that took up too much space, like my Jetboil and coffee press, and now the panniers are visibly more trim. next up, get the load down to 50#. start weighing stuff, you become incentivized to improve.

once you get the gear selection and packing system down pat, 3 days or 3 months on the bike, it's all the same.

·
Super Moderator
20,438 Posts
On my first LONG ride, to Alaska w/ a friend from Arkansas, he advised me that he just considers a long ride as SEVERAL three-day rides tied together. So I start looking for a grocery store on "Day 3", always carrying a three-day supply.

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
20,438 Posts
3 twelve packs of Labatt Blue Light seems like a lot of weight to carry around, takes up a lot of space too.
It's MUCH WORSE if you get the "Labatt Blue Heavy", and you'll 'burp' MORE...!

:cool:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
riding out in West Virginia over the weekend, same roads i've been on in previous years, but with 10X or more traffic. maybe because it was the tail end of the 4th, not sure.

great riding out there...

i was camped at a Forest Service campground with about 25 miles of gravel to get there, but that didn't prevent people from bringing in some surprisingly large trailers. i left at 0700 Sunday, didn't care about that Leo Vince racket, some of the trailer owners had been running generators. had a fun ride out there, now i'm looking at the calendar again.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
mid july, summer half gone, how the hell did that happen? i've been trying to get out every other week, and it's time to head west again, probably about 1500 miles including a bunch of gravel. i took a few minutes to organize my camp-off-the-bike cooking setup, it looks a lot different now than previous years.

i used to carry a Jetboil, large coffee press, plate, bowl, cup, fork, spoon, and miscellaneous whatever. that setup was just too big for the modest size Wolfmans i use, so i've gone smaller, more compact. it's not ultra light, just way smaller overall.

now this...MSR Pocket Rocket with MSR canister support, MSR stainless pot with handle clamp lid, insulated stainless bowl, insulated stainless mug, folding spork. it's possible to get by with less, it all depends on an individual's food prep practices.

nests together like this, compact. if you're using a mini stove, get the canister support, or it will be an unsafe struggle to use the pot on the stove. plastic or stainless, cheap. chineseum butane mini stoves have been around forever, look closely at the design before purchase, cheap prices, but they ain't all equal.

i'm also carrying a 12' Kelty Noah's Tarp on this trip, a recent purchase from another rider. i've carried good quality silnylon tarps previously, but not this model, so we'll see how that works out.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
recent ride out to West Virginia for 3 days, i was hoping for some cooler riding weather, anything less than 90 would be better...gravel roads too.

last fuel stop in western Virginia, my destination is seven mountains yonder, and there's no fuel without going off route. that little spot under the bike is gasolina, the tank was filled to the top of the neck.

first mountain up at Flag Pole Knob, i stopped and drank up a liter of water, and i also found out that i'd lost a liter somewhere when it escaped from under the strap. hope no one was tailgating. now i had to crank it up, i was supposed to meet up with another rider out there by 1230. the road ahead of me was gravel until recently, now paved, but already showing some big problem areas. it was easier to fix when gravel, and also kept speeds down on the cages, or so i thought until i found a pair of ricers coming up the mountain in my lane at the exit of a sharp left hand curve. exercise lane discipline, or you die out there.

i'd been smelling smoke from the west coast fires since i left the house in eastern Virginia, and the smoke got worse all the way west. smokey haze over West Virginia, but a weather front was supposed to push it out.

there are three distinct locations in this riding area that remind me of both western and northern roads, here's one. note the 8-strand fencing, maybe because this pasture is remote and doesn't get checked very often. i have seen both livestock guard dogs and loose cattle on this road.

i was trying out a Kelty Noah's Tarp on this trip, and the very second i had it set and tied down it rained for 30 minutes. glad i had it along, i need to work on the rigging a little so things go faster, but i'm thinking it will become part of the kit.

bike ran great all the way, i'll be on the way back out there soon. plenty of roads, i'm going to load up some of my old gpx files.

261 - 271 of 271 Posts