Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

241 - 260 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
it wasn't the first time that has happened.

from the Khronicles...Starbucks.

Helmet off, gloves off, and I thought about taking the key, naw, if any of these folks were going to steal the bike, heck, they’d want to read a pdf of the owner’s manual on their Iphone first, by that time I’d be back. I walked to the door behind a young gal who looked pretty spectacular from that viewpoint in her not-for-Sunday-church attire, and she looked over her shoulder as she opened the door, “After you”. I must have looked like her feeble grandpappy’s grandpappy. Great smile, a high-order natural beauty, except for dyed raven hair, and two dozen piercings on her face and ears, man, it looked like shrapnel, but her choice, too bad none the less.

·
Registered
769 Posts
i've never had a problem with clips, but i also secure the clip with red RTV so it's easy to inspect.
Thats using the old noggin! I use clips too but I like to give it a look when I take a break. Not that easy to find that link at a quick glance..

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Thats using the old noggin! I use clips too but I like to give it a look when I take a break. Not that easy to find that link at a quick glance..
any color RTV will secure the clip, but as you say it can be hard to see, especially if the chain is dirty. that's why i like red, easy to check as often as you like.

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
I use nail-polish to color the "master-link" on my riveted chains, to be able to easily find it, as well as to have a place to lube FROM and back TO.

DSC01432 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
girls open the door for you just to find out what brand and shade of nail polish you're wearing.
Dave - when something WORKS, you just gotta keep doin' it...!

;)

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Dave - when something WORKS, you just gotta keep doin' it...!

;)
you should stay away from certain bars with those nails of yours, bad things could happen.

bike running great, all i've done to it lately is re-clamp the front brake hose, adjust the throttle cable, and reset the idle rpm. i still need to add auxiliary lights, and i'll go tubeless on those spokes, but i'll do that when i have time.

for some reason, the ECU i'm running with the 2012 cop motor seems to be producing a little higher mpg. i came all the way back from western Virginia at 80 cruise, bypassed my regular fuel stop without getting a fuel warning. got to be a different fuel map in there. this particular setup is giving me a low fuel warning at 1 gallon, while other ER6 instrument panels came on with less.

this might be the last iteration, i haven't found anything yet that needs improvement.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
that didn't take long...

250 mile ride Sunday morning, and at the mid-point stop, a guy asked if the bike was a BMW. nope, and pointed to the green anodized front brake line clip i had intentionally installed. "This can't be a Kawasaki.", yeah, i know, it's kinda complicated.

not the first time that BMW mis-identification has happened. here's one from the Kronicles at a fuel stop just south of the Grand Canyon, if you happen to have read that series, you might remember...

There was a fuel stop at Valle, I’d buy some water too, but I wanted to sit down somewhere to eat a whole menu of food, maybe the menu too if it had nice photos of food. I was at the pumps when a guy walked past and said "Is that a BMW?", and I replied "Home-made". He was looking the bike over, and said "A BMW Hommemaadee, I don’t recognize the model", oh brother. "No, h-o-m-e-m-a-d-e, I built it myself", and he replied "Only BMW builds BMWs, I drive their cars, have for thirty years". Whooda thunk that, by gosh, but it wasn’t a shot in the dark, he’d put gas in his bimmer over on the other island.

behind an Amazon Prime delivery truck, the first i'd seen way out in BFE. the guy was rolling about 45mph on a twisty road, double yellow for miles and miles, no opportunity to pass. finally a short stretch of legal passing, helloooooo, that Leo Vince will wake the dead at 10,000rpm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
that didn't take long...

250 mile ride Sunday morning, and at the mid-point stop, a guy asked if the bike was a BMW. nope, and pointed to the green anodized front brake line clip i had intentionally installed. "This can't be a Kawasaki.", yeah, i know, it's kinda complicated.

not the first time that BMW mis-identification has happened. here's one from the Kronicles at a fuel stop just south of the Grand Canyon, if you happen to have read that series, you might remember...

There was a fuel stop at Valle, I’d buy some water too, but I wanted to sit down somewhere to eat a whole menu of food, maybe the menu too if it had nice photos of food. I was at the pumps when a guy walked past and said "Is that a BMW?", and I replied "Home-made". He was looking the bike over, and said "A BMW Hommemaadee, I don’t recognize the model", oh brother. "No, h-o-m-e-m-a-d-e, I built it myself", and he replied "Only BMW builds BMWs, I drive their cars, have for thirty years". Whooda thunk that, by gosh, but it wasn’t a shot in the dark, he’d put gas in his bimmer over on the other island.

behind an Amazon Prime delivery truck, the first i'd seen way out in BFE. the guy was rolling about 45mph on a twisty road, double yellow for miles and miles, no opportunity to pass. finally a short stretch of legal passing, helloooooo, that Leo Vince will wake the dead at 10,000rpm.
What is the difficulty in believing that someone can assemble a bike with their own hands? This is not a spaceship, which is unrealistic to make alone. A bike is possible if you have the necessary skills.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
What is the difficulty in believing that someone can assemble a bike with their own hands? This is not a spaceship, which is unrealistic to make alone. A bike is possible if you have the necessary skills.
what a coincidence, now that this bike is off the lift i was going to start on my spaceship, but then i realized that even a single man spaceship is too big for my garage. can you imagine the embarrassment, build your own spaceship, but then it's to big to get out through the garage door.

then i decided to build something smaller, like a Tesla, but after a closer look realized i was not all that keen on the coachwork and took a pass. i could have redesigned that car and beat the pants off those folks out at the Musk studio, but by that time i had lost interest.

i need to start a new project, i'm gettin' sorta fidgety. any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
How about a "beer-fridge" UNLESS you already got one...!

I
beer fridge? nothing new here and no fab work required. i had a beer fridge out in the garage during high school, the football coach said i was losing weight and needed to drink beer and eat bananas, so my father kept the beer fridge stocked with Stroh's Behemian and a boat load of bananas. i was a pretty smart kid and did any homework from one class while paying little attention in the next class. in the evening i'd sit around watching TV, drinking beer, and eating bananas, 3-4 of each. it was an interesting experiment that went on for quite awhile, i didn't mind being the lab rat, but it finally ended when i couldn't seem to gain an ounce of weight on that evening diet. after that i was on a 5000 calorie/day diet, that didn't help much either, and i still drank quite a bit of beer on the side. Stroh's Boho was a really good beer and cheap, i'm reminded of it by some kraft brew lagers.

times change, that coach would have been fired the same day he told a student athlete to drink beer. my parent's were probably wondering "What the hell?" when i'd say during an intriguing TV program "Hey mom, can you get me another cold beer...and a banana?"

as for Eduardo's beer fridge, i see that he's still pouring Labatts Blue on his cornflakes.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
damn, i just got this thing together, now i'm already back modifying the modifications...

no big deal, i just need to shorten the sidestand, but even that required some thought. the KLR 650 sidestand on this bike had been lengthened 85-90mm just like the previous bikes, but with a different suspension under this one it doesn't work out the same way. too tall, and although i don't like a bike laying over too far, this bike was standing so straight up that once in the saddle the bike had to be leaned right a little to park the sidestand. i'm about to get the panniers mounted for a trip and that weight would only make the problem worse.

yank it off and cut the SOB down. i did a little mock up and decided that 20mm was about right, plus another 5mm for the addition of a larger foot, so 25mm on the cut.

index the tube to the foot so it lands correctly when reassembled.

[IMG]

then cut off the foot. capture the angle of the cut, then make another cut at 25mm.

[IMG]

position the tube on the foot using the index marks, weld it up, remount the side stand, verify that the foot lands flat, paint it.

[IMG]

ready to go, out the door for my weekly 250 mile neighborhood ride. my XO claims that these rides are scheduled to escape diet enforcement personnel. somebody must have looked at the GPS, every 5 star ice cream shop in 10 counties is waypointed.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
can't be a gravel runner without the gravel, figured i better get out there for a test drive, new bike and all. gravel road trip coming up, one i'm looking forward to, but i didn't want to touch gravel for the first time on a trip. went back out to some gravel roads i'd been on years ago, they were still there, felt good. folks think of Virginia as wall to wall people, and eastern Virginia as northern flatistan. coastal Virginia is both populated and flat, but go west only a few miles, the population thins, and the topography/roads get much better for bike travel. plenty of history around here, and while riding west of the Mississippi can be much better, this area was settled 250-300 years before western states were admitted to the Union. that's a lot of freakin' years.

maybe an unusual circumstance, but i didn't see another vehicle in 30 miles of gravel, can't say i minded.

new bike more in it's normal surroundings...

[IMG]

[IMG]

i came up on a bridge, not the old wooden one i remembered that had the load rating reduced to 3 tons, an empty pickup truck max.

old bridge...

[IMG]

new bridge...

[IMG]

[IMG]

until recently, the big swamps in the area were considered impenetrable. covering many tens of square miles, anyone who didn't want to be found would seek refuge back in there. runaway slaves in the colonial era, bootleggers more recently. swamp rats who know where to look find artifacts that are centuries old.

the Shinko tires on the bike have over 2500 miles on them, wearing pretty well i'd say.

you can see in the photo that there's a hood over the Zumo. those Garmins are notoriously hard to see in bright sunlight, so i thought i'd try a snap on hood. the hood is an improvement, i'd give it a 7/10.

[IMG]

i didn't stop for ice cream, and the place i didn't stop at is one i won't recommend, it was supposed to be good, just a rumor.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
lots of road grime picked up over the last 1000 miles, foam cannon time...

[IMG]

a wide variety of different soaps to use in the cannon, i'm using Mcguiars foam soap. the foam soap leaves a shiny film, so the bike stays looking good for awhile, and it's also easier to clean the next time. follow the directions, you don't want the soap to dry before you rinse it off. nope, i'm not afraid to pressure wash the bike.

had the pressure washer out, so i used the same soap on the Bobcat and one of the old fleet trucks.

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
I'm w/ "jdrocks" on using a pressure washer to clean the bike. You just gotta be careful of WHERE you point it.

ONLY thing I've used on all THREE V650s.

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
a wide variety of different soaps to use in the cannon, i'm using Mcguiars foam soap. the foam soap leaves a shiny film, so the bike stays looking good for awhile, and it's also easier to clean the next time. follow the directions, you don't want the soap to dry before you rinse it off. nope, i'm not afraid to pressure wash the bike.

had the pressure washer out, so i used the same soap on the Bobcat and one of the old fleet trucks.
Excessive water pressure can damage the bike. This is not a tank, there are also open parts on the bike, the engine is not in tank armor, and the soft seat can be damaged.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
Excessive water pressure can damage the bike. This is not a tank, there are also open parts on the bike, the engine is not in tank armor, and the soft seat can be damaged.
that's a very studied and serious reply, but i have to ask, where are the open parts on your Versys? i don't stick the tip of the pressure washer wand in the airbox, what's left?

consider this, maybe my Versys is a tank compared to your Versys. my Versys bikes are assembled from scratch with copious waterproof grease at the steering head and swingarm bearings/pivot shaft, sealed wheel bearings and greased axles, dielectric grease at every single electrical connection, and three layer heavily oiled air filtration to resist casual water.

i have taken these Versys bikes through too many water crossings to count, including one with the motor running completely under water. are you saying that my Versys bikes shouldn't be pressure washed when they are designed and prepared for 140kph in driving rain, and this too...

i pressure wash everything, bike, panniers, and riding gear/boots, sometimes with me still in it. if that's the German tri-color, you can probably get a foam cannon over there, cheap even in euros. alternately, you can use the garden hose, but don't stick it in the airbox.

241 - 260 of 262 Posts