Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

221 - 240 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
hard to believe that this is now the 2021 V649HP...a little more paint work, then it's ready to roll. the previous bike had the nose of the blade fairing over the axle , this time the front of the screen is way behind the axle, much more compact. note the screen mount is parallel to the forks even with the compound curve, important when color is added. this is a modular bolt together front by design. it could have been all welded, but it would have been so strong that it couldn't be straightened if the bike does the flop-ola, believe it, been there. kinda important if you're in BFE and need to advance, just borrow a BFH, then pound the individual parts back into usable shape. GPS is sitting near the top of the screen, but gets adjusted a little along with everything else when i'm on the bike.

[IMG]

i have the auxiliary lights, but haven't fabbed the mounts yet, still tied in the pilot light and added light connection points to the harness. the screen is designed for easy removal when necessary, then all the electrical is right there.

[IMG]

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
thanks.

i'm curious to see how this suspension works out, 200mm rear, 290mm front, then there's the 25mm longer wheelbase with the extended swingarm. i guess i'll find out.

the alert Versys650 rider will recognize the Versys as the base for the build. bunch of mix and match parts in there.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
done with the electrical, had to rewire both ends of the bike, time consuming for a crimp and solder guy...kinda suspenders and belt type deal.

on to paint prep with the only fussy part of the work being the fuel tank, it gets the cowl mounts removed, then filled. if you're ever faced with the job, do yourself a favor, cut the mounts completely off, do not bend. bending opens up the likelihood that you're going to break the spot welds which creates a big problem, one you don't want. check the work with a straight edge, there are a pair of proud tabs on each side that need to be clearanced. paint gets removed for a solid body filler bond. take your time, you don't want to damage your tank.

[IMG]

i like to tape off areas where it's inconvenient to get excess filler, especially inside radii on the shape of the tank. don't get a bunch of filler outside the work area, it all needs to get removed, you don't want that job. the tape is just a quick down and dirty, doesn't have to look pretty.

[IMG]

add your filler, not too bad, the fill areas index on the tank itself. this work is not my thing, but i refuse to send this work out a budget bike due to cost. all future photos from at least 10 feet, no closeups.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
filling the sides of the tank is not a big deal, use the light weight easy sand body shop filler, it goes faster. the tank has a slightly irregular shape at the front of the recessed spot weld area, and there's not even an exact match left and right. these surfaces were supposed to be under the OEM plastic so it didn't matter. now they're exposed so they need to be feathered into the surrounding surface.

wipe everything down and paint all your junk parts. no spray booth, no heat, and the instructions on the can say don't spray below 70 degrees. damn, it's only 55, what to do? of course i went ahead and sprayed anyway. paint comes out of the gun like mud. it's not professional paint, but it is paint.

let confusion reign, KTM 690 Rally Raid screen in Honda red on a Kawasaki moto.

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Good looking "bicycle-a-gas" as they say up N in Quebec!
not just good looking, but sweet running. i'd be in Canada this season, but y'all got your vax program off to such a slow start, the border won't be open.this year.

another 150 miles today, might have it broken in soon...

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
lunch stop in western Virginia near the West Virginia line, 650 miles on the day, for a total of 1200 check miles for the week. 200 miles at 80 cruise. runs great, nothing to change so far, except to add the auxiliary lights. the LEDs on the front right now will light up the road signs well before the sun goes down. the amber and red Novas really improve daytime visibility, they're that bright.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
another run west, 100 small roads, then 80 cruise back, 500 miles. great day for a ride, sun, and only 70d.

that afternoon, my friend got a demo ride on the HD Pan America, reported that the bike is fantastic.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
i run clip type master links on a just-in-case basis, like if i have to split the chain for some reason in BFE, ya never know. i've never had a problem with clips, but i also secure the clip with red RTV so it's easy to inspect.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
fuel still very spotty out here in the Mid-Atlantic. 200 mile Sunday ride, only saw 3 stations that were pumping fuel, one Sunoco, two Citco, and they were all found in a very small population county of all places. i saw no tank trucks.

kinda reminds me of the old fuel adage when riding in BFE, never ride by fuel...so i added a little fuel at the Sunoco. while there, i helped an old guy buy his fuel, he was trying to stuff a $20 bill into the receipt slot on the pump like it was a vending machine.

not that i must look freakin' old and feeble myself, but i had two young ladies jump ahead and hold the door for me, one on the way in, and a different one on the way out. that fancy new motorbike was parked right there, but they must not have been too impressed.

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
221 - 240 of 262 Posts