Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

181 - 187 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't know why more manufacturers don't go with a "common bolt size" approach... probably production costs. I'd love to only need one size socket. Of course that's probably too simplistic but the thought is a good one!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
I don't know why more manufacturers don't go with a "common bolt size" approach... probably production costs. I'd love to only need one size socket. Of course that's probably too simplistic but the thought is a good one!
just engineering decisions based on tensile and shear, so they can't standard size down, and don't want to standard size up. bike in the shop, you have all the tools for anything encountered, but traveling, you don't have that selection available. once the decision is made to produce a largely bolt-together front end instead of welded, then you might as well standardize fasteners, weld nuts being a bonus. as i've said, you're not likely to make a field fix on an all welded front, it's even tough to get one straightened out in a shop setting. with the bolt-together, i can pull it apart, beat the individual pieces straight on just about any flat surface, then bolt it back together and advance.

now i'm getting visions of pounding a pile of junk in shape on top of an abandoned railroad track out in BFE. either that or a flat rock, lordy, knock on wood.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
...either that or a flat rock, lordy, knock on wood.
I don't think you'll be able to straighten ANYTHING if you put it on a plank, to "...lordy, knock on wood...".

;)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I don't think you'll be able to straighten ANYTHING if you put it on a plank, to "...lordy, knock on wood...".

;)
aha, now the picture becomes clear. as a child, you were the only one in the room who never understood a knock knock joke.

i could have said "any flat surface", but it doesn't translate well in spanglish for you.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
got a bunch of little pieces, time to fit and weld. this is the ignition switch mount, but a few other things bolt up also.

11 pieces, plus weld nuts. gets smoothed before paint, but i like to jump ahead with a few more parts before prep just to make sure there aren't additional changes. the OEM switch mount on the early generation of the ER6 bikes was part of the top clamp, and often partially buried under cables and harness. this mount raises the switch a couple inches so you can stab it with the key first try even with gloves on.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Enjoying this thread and the details you add... like the raised ignition switch.
raised switch in mount. the switch is positioned so that i can still access everything around the bars, like steering stem nut, bar riser fasteners, and so on.

181 - 187 of 187 Posts