Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To use the ad phrase, "That was easy." Just installed the Evotech radiator guard on my '09 V. I guess there have been changes made to the V's. The directions called for much more removal and re-installation of parts on the bike. And most of the supplied fasteners weren't used. I only used three of the supplied hex cap screws to fasten it to the bike.
I did run into a small inconvenience. I had to partly remove my crash bar brace that runs across the top of the radiator. After getting that out of the way, all I had to do is flip the captive nut clip, and install the guard and longer cap screw. I removed the bottom brace, and installed two more cap screws. I then reinstalled the crash bar brace, and I was done in ten minutes.
Just too darn easy!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Rad Screen...

Nice grill screen...with the high cost of radiators...It is strange that bike manufactures don't put them on from the factory...Looking at most sport bikes with huge expensive radiators down low..right behind the front tire...where rocks and whatever could take out your $500 radiator :thumbdown: cheap protective screen really is easy and smart...Question on the horn in your photo? did you have to use a relay switch or just bolt on as is ? Fiamm Blaster Horn ? Cheers

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guard defiantly gives me peace of mind. The horn is a bolt on Fiamm Blaster found at Meijers.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Nice grill screen...with the high cost of radiators...It is strange that bike manufactures don't put them on from the factory...
Because in really hot weather it will cause the bike to overheat. Also in 100s of thousands of miles riding on a liquid cooled bike I have never had something fly up and damage a radiator. The only damaged radiators I have ever seen were in very bad crashes where the radiator was the least of the problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... Also in 100s of thousands of miles riding on a liquid cooled bike I have never had something fly up and damage a radiator.
I have had something fly up, not from the bike, but from the car in front of me. I saw an automotive trim piece exit the cars tire, then bounce twice to land on the core of the radiator. It also grazed my right leg.
Thank goodness the event happened on the freeway, close to home. I picked up the bike and put it on my trailer. At home, I removed the radiator and took it to a radiator shop for repair. Fortunately, it only breached one core tube, but dented three total. The repair set me back $20 and change. It should have been spent on a guard.
I finally did buy a guard for my trusty old KLR 650, then I saw the Versys in the showroom. So the next owner benefited from my experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts