Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I sincerely thank all of you that have replied to my previous posts over the past several days. The input you have provided solidified my desire to own a Versys and I learned some lessons along the way. THANKS!

Well, I finally worked a deal and the dealer delivered the bike to my place of employment.

BIG MISTAKE! Not really... everyone getting off work saw me with the dealer's rep going over the bike. My ass was busted like you can't believe! Everything fom "nice bike" to I like your new VESPA! It was all in good nature though.

I had an audiance when it was time to ride it home. I was delaying in an attempt to get everyone to leave, but they wouldn't have any part of it. They all knew I had a lot of experience on MX bikes, but had never ridden a true strret bike. I begged them to leave so I could aclimate myself to the bike, but they wouldn't go!

I heard comments like, "double the ditch on your way out", show us a big wheelie". I was so nervous on my first ride out of the lot! It turned out good and I tip toed my way out... ha ha...

Anyway, it was getting late so I was only able to log about 28 miles before it got dark and I had to get home and let the poor dog out!

I must say, this is a sweet bike! It is much more comfortable and smooth compare to my KTM 525 EXC Racing. Now, I must say the power falls far short of the KTM, but the bike is a blast to ride. I'm still getting my feet under me riding on the street, so I'll be able to put it through the paces a little more soon.

In a nutshell, I am thrilled with the bike. It is so different from what I'm use to riding.

In closing, I again thank each of you that have submitted replies and helped me reach this decision.

Now I need to go out and find a street helmet. My MX helmet is way too loud with the wind noise.

What is the first recommendation you guys have to get the bike dialed in?

I'd like to ride with someone this weekend! Anyone in the Edgewater area that wants to go out? The weather is going to be great!

Shaun

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I think its great that things worked out for you and congradulations on your purchase. But you failed to let us know what color and year your versys is. I hope you enjoy your versys as much as I enjoy mine, have fun ride safe.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its great that things worked out for you and congradulations on your purchase. But you failed to let us know what color and year your versys is. I hope you enjoy your versys as much as I enjoy mine, have fun ride safe.
Glow, I went with a 2009 Blue... I was waffling between the green and the blue.... Thanks for your support and well wishes. I had a blast the short time I was able to ride today. I'm looking forward to getting some miles in this weekend!

Anyone in my area, I'd like some company!

Shaun

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
:clap::clap::clap:

The motor is tight when new and you're supposed to keep it under five or six grand 'till you get for or five hundred miles on it, then still keep it down 'till you reach a grand. The power is there when you let 'er wind up. Running the canyons between six and nine grand you won't have any problem with the power. :D Second gear wheelies coming out of an up-hill hair pin are common.

Go easy, get used to it and the extra weight. Pretty soon the katoom will be the one that feels odd.

·
Premium Member
7,912 Posts
Congrats and take it easy and you will know what a good bike you have got. Take your time on farkles and once you start you will have an addition of it.

Ride safe and be safe.:goodluck:
:cheers:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sounds like you knew what you wanted and finally pulled the trigger on it. Congratulations!
My wife and I were just in your area from Tampa last weekend. However, the traffic was not the best for breaking in a new bike.
If you get over this way, give me a shout and we would be glad show you some Westcoast backroads and haunts.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Cool news, congratulations. What's the rest of the story with the dealer? Is it the same dealership? Did they find you another bike somewhere else? Delivered to you sounds good, like a dealership trying hard. Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Awesome! Glad everything workd out, I know you got a lot of replies and opinions and good on you to take each and every one in and ponder on. I'm glad you posted as it helped me make my deal, which should be closed today when I get to my Credit Union and do the paperwork, I'm clear across the country or would love to break in the bikes together. Take care and congratulations!

Rob

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats and take it easy and you will know what a good bike you have got. Take your time on farkles and once you start you will have an addition of it.

Ride safe and be safe.:goodluck:
:cheers:
No kidding.

For farkles, don't buy them just to buy them. Buy them to solve problems.

Of course the downside is when you've got a really specific setup in mind like I've got, your wallet gets really light really fast. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like you knew what you wanted and finally pulled the trigger on it. Congratulations!
My wife and I were just in your area from Tampa last weekend. However, the traffic was not the best for breaking in a new bike.
If you get over this way, give me a shout and we would be glad show you some Westcoast backroads and haunts.
Thumper,

Next time you are over this way, give me a heads up. It would be nice to meet someone on here. Thus far, this has been the best community I've been a part of. Many other forums are a hazing fest...

Thanks,

Shaun

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool news, congratulations. What's the rest of the story with the dealer? Is it the same dealership? Did they find you another bike somewhere else? Delivered to you sounds good, like a dealership trying hard. Glad it worked out.
ATYC,

I ended up dealing with a higer up within the Champions organization. I have to admit, I give him credit for stepping in to make this happen. I emailed him and actually received a reply which eventually ended up with me getting a bike.

It is a shame that it had to escalate to that level though... Everything works out for the best!

Shaun

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome! Glad everything workd out, I know you got a lot of replies and opinions and good on you to take each and every one in and ponder on. I'm glad you posted as it helped me make my deal, which should be closed today when I get to my Credit Union and do the paperwork, I'm clear across the country or would love to break in the bikes together. Take care and congratulations!

Rob
Rob,

I'm glad my posts could help someone else. It is great to learn from someone else's experience. What bike did you end up with?

Shaun

1 - 20 of 22 Posts