Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dying in all this beautiful sunshine that the great state of Texas has blessed us with. I soak my T-shirt and the wife beater underneath within an hour. I wear a textile vented jacket, Power Trip Mojave Jacket and Draggin' jeans most of the time. I feel great when I'm mashing it at 65, but cruising at 30 to 40 it's meltdown city time.

Any ideas to keep a little cooler. It does suck to bring a second set of clothes to go to work.:devil:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Many threads but the one I liked was the dude with the ice vest that made great sence and lasted 1 1/2 hours or something like that. Google it there is a ton of them. Good luck fellow rider! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Get a mesh jacket and ditch the dragging jeans and get a pair of mesh pants. I ride with a Tourmaster Intake II. Full mesh with two removable liners. Decent three season jacket that does not break the bank.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I'm dying in all this beautiful sunshine that the great state of Texas has blessed us with. I soak my T-shirt and the wife beater underneath within an hour. I wear a textile vented jacket, Power Trip Mojave Jacket and Draggin' jeans most of the time. I feel great when I'm mashing it at 65, but cruising at 30 to 40 it's meltdown city time.

Any ideas to keep a little cooler. It does suck to bring a second set of clothes to go to work.:devil:
Have you tried a cooling vest under your jacket? They are typically only about $50 at most motorcycle stores.

·
Registered
434 Posts
In the heat of a Phoenix summer do what I do.....take the car! :D

There is no cure for hot temperatures. You can mitigate it some but ultimately it wins.

Mesh, cool vest, water backpack. Good luck.

·
Registered
291 Posts

Try a set of these "Ventz". They will force air up your arms :thumb:
Ventz ® is a patented and European design protected venting system designed to reduce the build up of heat under the protective clothing worn by most motorcyclists. In warmer conditions this heat can build up to very uncomfortable levels and ultimately lead to severe loss of concentration to the rider.

How It Works

When riding in warm weather the air locked inside your jacket creates an invisible blanket of trapped air that raises your body temperature to uncomfortable levels. Ventz ® creates a regular flow of soothing air that strips away this heated layer making your journey more comfortable and your arrival a lot cooler.

Made in UK - More details HERE - http://www.ventz-range.com/
Not sure about avalibility on other side of the pond :confused:

Richard :D

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Here's my two cents:
Lose the cotton T-Shirts and Wifebeaters... I use Underarmour and Champion (Target stores) synthetic stuff - underwear and socks too - when I'm on a long ride. On my long tour this summer I had three pair of Columbia zip-off "Blood and Guts" pants under my Olympia Stealth mesh suit and they more than paid for themselves. They wick sweat off your body and help it to evaporate... and even though I rode through more than a couple of showers on my summer trip - the non-cotton underpinnings helped me dry out in no time.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
Gets pretty hot here in the BC Okanagan - I wear a Tee-shirt under my ATGATT stuff, and when I get hot pour water down the front between my jacket and the tee, maybe a cup or so per time.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Mesh or perforated leather will do better than vented textile. They let you breathe a bit more at slower speeds.

I wear perf leather until it hits 100, then I swap to mesh. I also wear golf shirts in the summer--they're basically sweat-wicking polo shirts that don't show the sweat dampness. They work just fine for the little sweating I do on the way to work in the cooler morning, and I don't care what I look like when I get home.

If you've got some silly touring screen on your V ditch that as well and use the stock screen on the lowest setting.

Definitely stay away from evaporative cooling vests, you'll need that change of clothes. I personally won't wear a phase change vest either because I don't want to crash with the equivalent of rocks strapped to my ribcage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Water Bottle

In the summer, I use a Firstgear Meshtex jacket and I always carry a tall insulated bicycle water bottle that I stick in a neoprene Bottle Sox (brand). I attach it to the tankbag on which ever bike I'm riding. It stays icy cold for the better part of an hour. There is nothing like a sip of really cold water to cool you off.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
We have the same problem in South Africa. I got a really nice jacket that can convert from a normal jacket to a mesh jacket. Called a Flex Series 2 Jacket. I see that Tourmaster have a new version called the Flex Series 3 Jacket. It's the only jacket I will ever buy again. Just a few zips and viola I have a fully mesh jacket with all the armour still present.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Several brands like Alpine Stars, Fox etc make under garments designed to wick up body moisture and use it to cool with a air flow effect. A ballistic nylon style jacket and even pants when worn in conjunction allows wind flow to cool the moisture already in the fabric under garment from sweating.

They are used in all safari's and desert races almost by every rider world wide who are required to wear a full jacket to race. They are very effective.

I use the Alpine stars full length john's and shirt under a driRider Ralley Cross Pro jacket, but you can get just the vest type ones that are also well worth the 50 few bucks they cost.. Saves wasting valuable water that you need to drink if your losing that much fluid.. the outer garment plays just as critical role for overall effectiveness.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
If you've got some silly touring screen on your V ditch that as well and use the stock screen on the lowest setting.
I have a "silly" touring screen because the stock screen on the lowest setting causes far too much turbulence and wind noise around my helmet. Better off to remove the screen and cop the clean air.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts