Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Test Ride Owner Protection

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  revrandy 
#1 · (Edited)
With regard to liability and financially speaking, how would/could a bike owner protect themselves.
And thus allow a prospective buyer the opportunity to test ride their bike.

On side note it is assumed that a perspective buyer already knows the characteristics of a Versys and therefore is only apprising condition of said bike.

#2 · (Edited)
Thats a tough one. When i bought my Versys from the dealer they didn't let me test drive it. You could make a copy of thier license and insurance and have them sign a waiver if they get hurt and also taking responsibility if they do damage./ If that won't work for them make them ride b.i.t.c.h. and ride them around.

#3 ·
A few years ago, my insurance company stated that anyone riding my bike would be riding on my insurance policy. Any problems (ie accidents) would end up on my policy and my record.

Had a family member have a couple of accidents, I,, yes me personally, received a dear John letter from my insurance company. Getting insurance from another company involved a lot of highly inflated insurance premiums for a few years.

I will be following this thread with interest as this topic has been discussed in our biking group.

Do we have any people from the insurance industry following this forum??

#4 ·
I agree, it's a tough question to answer. It might be wise to contact your insurance company and ask what they would require to protect you and prevent your premiums from increasing should anything happen. I suspect they won't offer any guarantees though.

Assuming the prospective buyer has "cash in hand", another approach would be to invoke the china shop rule that states should you break it, you buy it. That is to say, pay for repairs and liability claims. A written agreement might also be beneficial.

There are also occasions when a prospective buyer appears knowledgeable and responsible and honestly interested in buying. Then it becomes a trust your judgment case and allowing a test ride may be all that's needed to clinch the deal and make you both happy. The bottom line is that there doesn't seem to be a pat answer.

Dealers are rightfully concerned about inventory and liability and, in my experience, will allow test rides to those who impress them as being mature, skilled, and responsible. Not that I fill those criteria, but I've been allowed - even offered - test rides when testosterone-filled younger men, drooling over the latest high power sport bikes, have been told "absolutely not." Hmmm, I wonder if that qualifies as profiling? ;)

#5 ·
I don't allow test rides on a bike I'm selling. Period. The only exception might be if they handed me the cash with the understanding if they so much as dropped it, they've bought it. Even then, that's risky. The way things are nowadays, I won't even let someone come to the house to look at a bike; I'd meet them in a parking lot someplace, one that has a lot of people around. Just the way it is now, unfortunately.

#7 ·
I have sold tons of dirtbikes and never worried about it. No idea what I would do with a street bike.

Personally, I don't even go look at a bike that doesn't allow test rides. I definitely see where they are coming from though. If some moron dumps your bike you could end up getting sued by them and whoever they hit.

#10 ·
I always test drive a bike and allow test drives on my bikes. When I sold my last one I called the insurance company and they said the rider was covered, as was the bike. Potential purchaser gave me a deposit equal to the deductible and off they went.

Personally I would never consider purchasing a bike unless I could ride it. Never had a dealer refuse me yet, nor have I had a private seller refuse me. I'm on bike 7 or 8 now, all tested prior to purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.