Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened about six miles up the road from me. A Canadian couple was riding two-up on a Harley with another Harley couple on their dream retirement tour of the USA when a four-sheets-to-the-wind driver crossed the yellow line in his Pathfinder, missed the first bike and took out the second. The couple that was hit has each lost a leg and the woman may have lost her arm. The fkwad who did it told the judge he had to take care of his wheelchair-bound Mom. (Oh please.) What's worse, the guy pleaded out of reckless driving in 2009, so he's been given a chance already. Now he wants another one. Time for some eye-for-an-eye justice!

Latest news:
http://www.noozhawk.com/article/judge_says_no_to_reduced_bail_for_alleged_dui_driver/

As reported by someone else (not me) on ADVRider thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21560695

:censored:

·
Super Moderator
16,054 Posts
I have no tolerance for drunk drivers. Hope he gets locked up for a long long time.

·
Super Moderator
16,054 Posts
If you've got your problems and need to get drunk/high...fine go for it...stay of the road you ****ing piece of ****!
:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Don't mean to too dramatic, but there are times that summary roadside execution doesn't seem like a bad idea. At least it would prevent the slimeball from doing it again.

And he should have thought about his wheelchair-bound mother before boozing it up. Irresponsible just doesn't describe him adequately.

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
The driver of the ‘94 Toyota 4Runner — Martin Maguire, 51, of Montecito — was arrested on felony DUI charges, Hunter said, and appeared to be under the influence of several substances.
“It’s a horrible thing,” Hunter said. “Just two couples out having fun, and the day ended in a horrific manner.”

Immediately following the collision, several bystanders rendered aid to the couple, who had shipped their Harley Davidson bikes down from Canada with the intent of taking an extended tour of the United States, McCaffrey said.

One of those bystanders, a U.S. Army soldier recently deployed in Afghanistan, “applied a tourniquet to one of the injured riders that possibly saved their lives due to massive bleeding,” he said. :usa: :clap:

·
Super Moderator
18,816 Posts
If you've got your problems and need to get drunk/high...fine go for it...stay of the road you ****ing piece of ****!
My wife figures I drink too much, however, I drink at HOME, and DON'T go out after a few 'pops'. I'll happily be the designated-driver when someone else wants a few 'pops'.

Really sad that THAT idiot did what he did!!!
:sorry:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Don't mean to too dramatic, but there are times that summary roadside execution doesn't seem like a bad idea. At least it would prevent the slimeball from doing it again.

And he should have thought about his wheelchair-bound mother before boozing it up. Irresponsible just doesn't describe him adequately.
I would be all in favor of a trial and then public execution.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm an Aries, which one source says "Their immense energy makes them aggressive and restless, argumentative occasionally, headstrong, quick tempered, easily offended and capable of holding grudges if they feel themselves affronted." I guess that could apply sometimes. I am affronted by a guy who would get ****faced, get behind the wheel, and cause this carnage.

"On Tuesday, Maguire appeared in court in a blue jumpsuit as his attorney, Christine Voss, entered a not-guilty plea.

She also asked Judge Thomas Adams to release Maguire and reduce his bail so he could care for his elderly mother.

Maguire’s mother, who uses a wheelchair, sat through almost an entire day of court proceedings, as did Maguire’s sister and brother, before Adams could get to the case on a packed calendar.

“As you can see, Mr. Maguire has a very insignificant record,” Voss told Adams. “He is otherwise a lawful-abiding citizen.”

Letters had been submitted from various people “from all walks of life” supporting Maguire’s character, she said.

The vehicle Maguire was driving was so badly damaged in the accident, he’d be unable to drive even if he was released, she said.

But Senior Deputy District Attorney Jeff Gittler took a much different view.

Because of the severity of the couple’s injuries, “[Maguire] is very fortunate this is not a murder charge,” he told the court, and asked that Adams raise Maguire’s bail amount to $160,000.

Maguire faced a misdemeanor charge of reckless driving in 2009, “and I guess he didn’t learn. … Many of these letters ask for a second chance for Mr. Maguire, but he’s had a second chance,” Gittler said.

After looking over the letters, Adams said he could not reduce the bail because of the seriousness of the collision.

If the allegations are true, Adams said, “this was a repeat situation, and the last matter was resolved in July 2009, which was recently.” "
So he wrecked his vehicle by nearly killing 4 people (a pair of 2-up motorcyclists), and his attorney spins it as...see, he can't harm anyone any more because his truck is so smashed he won't be able to drive it, so let him out on bail.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
18,816 Posts
...So he wrecked his vehicle by nearly killing 4 people (a pair of 2-up motorcyclists), and his attorney spins it as...see, he can't harm anyone any more because his truck is so smashed he won't be able to drive it, so let him out on bail.:eek:
Either Mark Twain or Wm Shakespeare said:
"First we kill ALL the lawyers...!"

:nono:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sad story.

Hopefully they heal physically and mentally enough to still enjoy their retirement. They've got a very long road ahead but it could have been worse. Also, I sincerely hope that the justice system works and doesn't give this guy a 3rd chance to go hurt or kill someone else.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
What I find amazing is that during my daily travels I have noticed that people will generally leave a safe distance behind me when I am riding, but will drive right up my but when I am in a rental car on a work trip.

So, they don't want to rear end a bike, but have no problem rear ending a car? What kind of logic is that?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looking for logic while driving is an exercise in futility, its like when you go to wal mart and people will stop in the middle of an isle to talk to a friend and forget that there are other people trying to shop< pet peeve

1 - 20 of 37 Posts