Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed coolant temp gauge? There are many out there, but I am wondering where I can install the sending unit on the motor. The water temp sensor on the bike puts out variable resistance. Anyone had any success mating a gauge with this sensor? Thanks -- Hank.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is one of the things I am glad Kawasaki decided not to include. I would only fret and obsess about the temperature if I knew what it was.

·
Registered
440 Posts
+1 on that. I find temp gauges distracting because I start to worry about the engine. I realize they are built to run under all conditions.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
There are temperature sender adaptors that are installed on the rad hose after cutting it in half, but coolant only flows there when the thermostat is open. There is also the possibility of having a threaded Y adapter with the ECU's coolant temperature sensor, but that would cause the sensor and sender to be backed out from the coolant flow.
It would be easier to read oil temperature. A common 1/8" pipe thread temperature sender could be installed in the oil pressure access plug (3/8" pipe thread) by tapping a 1/8" pipe thread hole in it, or with a 3/8" NPTF male (1) to 1/8" NPTF (2) female adaptor. http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/product_p/5406.htm
Oil pressure gauges as used by the dealer has various interchangeable fittings for different applications, including 1/8" and 3/8" pipe thread...
http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/index_us.html

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Temperature Gauge

I had my warning light come on and off once for my coolant level going up a slight hill. I took the side cover off and the coolant was a little low. I put in some Prestone antifreeze that I have for my car and no problem everey since then. That was about 4,000 miles ago. If I had a temperature guage I'd be constantly looking at it to see if it was ok.

·
Registered
285 Posts
temperature gauge

When you turn your key on and before you start the bike a red light will come on at the left below your rpm gauge. If your antifreeze gets low in your radiator that light will come on while your driving the motorcycle. That's what happened with me going up a hill. It went out when I was on a flat surface again. I checked it and the antifreeze was a little low. Every since then I've never had a problem. I just had to throw in a small splash of antifreeze.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Coolant temperature warning light is set to go on if coolant temperature reaches 239F (115C), but not if level gets too low. Cooling fan comes on at a coolant temperature of 91C (196 F). Thermostat valve opens at 80.5-83.5°C (177-182°F). Full opening lift: 8 mm (0.31 in.) or more at 95°C (203°F).
Permanent type of antifreeze (soft water and ethylene glycol plus corrosion and rust inhibitor chemicals for aluminum engines and radiators) Mixed Ratio: Soft water 50%, coolant 50%.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I don't remember my fan ever coming on...this may explain why my bike always smells hot. But the temp light has never come on, so I don't know.....how can I test the fan? I'll check the fuse first I guess.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
The only cooling fan test mentioned in the service manual is:
"•Disconnect the connector. •Using an auxiliary leads, supply battery power to the fan motor. If the fan does not rotate, the fan motor is defective and must be replaced."

Coolant has to be drained to test the temperature sensor-
•Remove the water temperature sensor •Suspend the sensor in a container of coolant so that the threaded portion is submerged. •Suspend an accurate thermometer with temperature sensing portions located in almost the same depth.
NOTE
○The sensor and thermometer must not touch the container side or bottom. •Place the container over a source of heat and gradually raise the temperature of the coolant while stirring the coolant gently. •Using the hand tester, measure the internal resistance of the sensor. If the hand tester does not show the specified values, replace the sensor.

Water Temperature Sensor Resistance:
Temperature / Resistance (kΩ)
–20°C (–4°F) *18.80 ±2.37
0°C (32°F) *(About 6.544)
40°C (104°F) 1.136 ±0.095
100°C (212°F) 0.1553 ±0.0070

·
Registered
217 Posts
Graham,
My fan comes on all the time in traffic and at lights. In this weather yours should be coming on as well!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does the temp light come on when the key is turned on without starting ?

I have a light at the bottom below the oil light which never comes on .

·
Registered
469 Posts
Regarding a temp gauge, there is something I use that is even better. I had a temp gauge on my previous bike that screwed into the oil inlet hole. I wanted to see how accurate it was so I bought one of those laser pointer surface temp readers (it does not really have to have the laser though). Harbor Freight has them cheap and I also have the more expensive ones but they read the same but do more.

Anyway, I carry the small one in my bike and hold the guage at various parts of the left and right side of the engine about 4 inches away to see what the temps are.

The bottom of the engine on the sides run the hottest. The right side is cooler than the left. Right is around 210 and left about 217. Never had it read over 220 even on very hot days with city riding. My Bonneville often got over 250 on hot days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
:eek:
I had my warning light come on and off once for my coolant level going up a slight hill. I took the side cover off and the coolant was a little low. I put in some Prestone antifreeze that I have for my car and no problem everey since then. That was about 4,000 miles ago. If I had a temperature guage I'd be constantly looking at it to see if it was ok.
It is not recommended to use automotive coolant with a motorcycle as it has antioxidants in it that can cause damage to the aluminum water pump used in most motorcycles, including the Versys.

I don't know what a small amount would do to damage the water pump, but if it was me I might want to consider a flush and refill with motorcycle specific coolant.

Zeniac

·
Registered
25 Posts
My fan comes on if I have to stop and idle for an extended period, if I'm riding in heavy stop and go traffic or something.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Concerning the choice of anti-freeze fluid. Most car engines these days are made of aluminum. I'm not sure what difference there is between the aluminum used in car engines and motorcycle water pumps. I'd do a close reading of the contents to see if there are any ingredients listed that might be harmful to aluminum.

From personal experience, most motorcycle anti-freeze is extremely over-priced.

Red

·
Registered
59 Posts
OOPs I forgot to comment on digital gauges. I find that digital gauges are fine for shop work and diagnostics but aren't as good for use on the bike itself. Analog gauges are superior for mounting on the bike because they are easier to scan. Its not really necessary to know what the exact temperature is while riding, you only need to know the "range" of the temperature. The needle position sitting in the good zone is easier to quickly scan than to read, for example, 196 deg and then recognize that that is a good temperature. If your scan policy has you looking at all the gauges, you can see that the needles are in the expected places faster than analyzing the exact digital reading.

Red

1 - 20 of 43 Posts