Registered
3,427 Posts
Ford ran a deficit of -3.5%
Carter ran a deficit of -2.4%
Regan ran a deficit of -4.3%
Bush senior ran a deficit of -4.3%
Clinton ran a deficit of-0.1%
Bush junior ran a deficit of -3.2%

Carter ran a tighter ship financially than Reagan if you look at deficit spending. If you recall, Regan increased government spending with military spending and was the first president to introduce, the then highly controversial, and very expensive tax breaks for high income earners. When you consider he did not have any expensive wars to pay for unlike the Bushes or Obama, he did not do very well with Financial management. Clinton did better than anyone in managing the budget. Borrowing more money than you take in year after year after year is a recipe for a future financial collapse. Example Greece or New Zealand

·
Registered
481 Posts
Any reason why you left out the current administration? There is no doubt that Reagan spent crap tons more than Carter..it is a fact. The question I pose is: What did we receive in return? I dont normally participate in political horse-manure on a forum meant for promoting the enjoyment of motorcycling so I will not comment or respond further and I am happy to give someone else the last word here. There are points of view that other's hold that I cannot justify or agree with but that is their own business and it is their right to hold such views. Do not get caught up in the "message of the day" from any of the media parrots telling you what you should think. I can recommend Thinking the Twentieth Century by Tony Judt if you want to get a general understanding of how we got here. :D

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Borrowing more money than you take in year after year after year is a recipe for a future financial collapse. Example Greece or New Zealand
Not really sure what you base your facts on NZ as never been bailed out like Greece but they are making the next avatar films here so that should reduce our debt :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts