Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I thought I would start this thread just to satisfy my own curiosity. I am seriously considering getting a tattoo. My problem is that I am not sure of the implications that will arise when I graduate college and have to get a real job. I personally plan on getting one on the inside of my arm (bt bicep and tricep) so it will be somewhat inconspicuous.
So my question is, do any of you have tattoos? If so were are they located and what is your experience in the work place with your job if they are visible? Since I have noticed a pretty high saturation of professional individuals on this forum I was just wondering how many of them have tattoos and what their experience has been. If you wouldn't mind, give a brief description of what you do for a living, age, location of and experience with said tattoo(s).
Thanks for any reply in advance.

Cheers!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a few tattoos on myself and Im getting more, but my works fine with it (the boss has both forearms covered) , you need to be perpared that where you work may want it covered (even in an office setting). The thing that I find is as long as you do your job well and with professional attitude it will be "What tattoos?",

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with Xprov. I am an ER nurse and the facility I work with has a policy of no visible tatoos. I have tatoos on both my forearms, quite visible and as a result I wear a long sleeve T-shirt under my scrubs. Unfortunately long sleeves do not work well in the ER setting, so I typically push up the sleeves above the tatoos. No one has ever mentioned it as an issue, as long as I do a good job with my work, no one even notices it.

Many patients ask me if I was in the military though!

Cheers,

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think that society has excepted tattoos now, mainly cause the people in charge are coming from younger generations. A tattoo should have no impact on a career, it would be discrimination. I have few, not nearly as many as I want, you should be cautioned though, tattoos are addictive!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nothing wrong with tat's.

As to whether it should affect a career or not. If a man is writing you a paycheck he has the right to decide how he wants his business represented. No visible tat's or piercings is the same as no t-shirts and flip flops, it's his image you are representing while being paid not yours. Nothing discriminatory about it. The person who signs the front of the check gets to make the rules.

Discreet tat's that can be covered are nobody's business but your own. If you have FTW tattooed across your forehead I expect career opportunities will be limited.

Dan

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Nothing wrong with tat's.

As to whether it should affect a career or not. If a man is writing you a paycheck he has the right to decide how he wants his business represented. No visible tat's or piercings is the same as no t-shirts and flip flops, it's his image you are representing while being paid not yours. Nothing discriminatory about it. The person who signs the front of the check gets to make the rules.

Discreet tat's that can be covered are nobody's business but your own. If you have FTW tattooed across your forehead I expect career opportunities will be limited.

Dan
I agree! Nothing wrong with tat's as long as the person getting the tat is willing to live with the strings that come along, just like Dan said. Don't be surprised if you find it harder to get work because of the tattoo.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Think hard about getting a tattoo, like all fashion statements you can become bored with your choice, not so easy to get rid of when you do!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I too agree, Tats are fine, its a form of art and self expression. Yes some employers have restrictions for tats and Piercing. I see both sides of it. Its all about rights, you have the right to adorn you body any way you see fit and your employer has the right to choose how it wants to represented.

I have several tats myself and piercing,only one of the tats is visible and all my piercings are on my head. I work for Intel Corporation one of the largest corporations in the world. My tats and piercings have never been an issue.

Just remember to choose your art wisely because it will be with you for the rest of your life. You also must realize there is pain involve with getting a tat, some parts of the body hurt more than others.Also Get a good Tatoo artist, check the person out, look at all their work and art. I have seen some terrible work, that looked like a 5 year old drew on them, so do your homework.

Good luck,

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you want a tattoo, get a tattoo. You live once, life is short and if it makes you happy you should do it. Tattoos are becoming more and more acceptable and like ddouble says - as long as you don't have something really out of line on your neck/face/forehead, it's fine.

They also have ink now that can be erased without the old nasty procedures.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There is nothing wrong with tats. I have two, both on the upper arms. Like someone said, people don't have to hire you because of tattoos and tattoo location. You can cover them up, but I would recommend staying away from anything above a collar. As far as your arms go, you can cover those. And yes, be very careful on the tat you get. Don't walk in and pick out some flash on the wall that everyone and their brothers have. Find something that says this is me. You will have to live with for a long time. I hate seeing people with the same type of tat, the trendy tat. Design your own, or come up with something original and let someone else put it on paper.

My best advice, think of all the tats you remember seeing on people. Where they were, what you thought, did you think someone was gangbanging, convict, etc...what you thought about tats on someone, is what someone will think about tats on you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you everyone for all of your replies. I agree with all of these post and appreciate the advice. I think I will be getting something like this: (Its the one with the cherry blossom tree on the forearm, 18th down on the left) http://www.electriceyetulsa.com/tonygalleryf.html
My wife is going to get a similar but more feminine version done of a cherry blossom tree as well. In chinese culture, a cherry blossom stands for love and I think that will be our own way of showing our own love for each other in a more symbolic way while looking cool at the same time (Awww so sweet huh)!
Anyway, as mentioned, I did some research and have found a great tattoo artist. He actually started out as a painter and then progressed to a paid graffiti artist doing jobs for local business's and has also been applying skin ink for about 2 years.
If you want you should check out some if his work and let me know what you think:
www.eratikone.com
I'm always open for opinions seeing that this will be on me forever.

Cheers to all!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey all, I thought I would start this thread just to satisfy my own curiosity. I am seriously considering getting a tattoo. My problem is that I am not sure of the implications that will arise when I graduate college and have to get a real job. I personally plan on getting one on the inside of my arm (bt bicep and tricep) so it will be somewhat inconspicuous.
So my question is, do any of you have tattoos? If so were are they located and what is your experience in the work place with your job if they are visible? Since I have noticed a pretty high saturation of professional individuals on this forum I was just wondering how many of them have tattoos and what their experience has been. If you wouldn't mind, give a brief description of what you do for a living, age, location of and experience with said tattoo(s).
Thanks for any reply in advance.

Cheers!
I have a tat on my left forearm and one on my right upper arm,I have had them since the early 80's.My experiance is sometimes potential employers frown upon them,so be perpared if you are getting one in an area that is visable all the time.Also realize that unless you have money for lazer removeall or coverup ,its forever. i have no regrets about mine,its part of who i am,but make sure its what you really want,not someting to fit in with the current in crowd

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have for the most part worked in "corporate" environments and it is usually frowned upon. if I worked in a auto body shop I doubt anyone would give a crap.

I just wouldn’t get a any tats that would show if I was wearing my usual work cloths, nothing on the forearms and hands and nothing on the neck, face or head.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Heehaw. I'm glad to see that someone favors it. I plan on putting it on the inside of my bicep though instead of the forearm. A little more inconspicuous I guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts