Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am adding a new GPS unit to my V1k and I am unsure as to the preferred way to tap into 12v power on my bike. When I added my lighter port, two wires were hanging in the fairing. After bloody knuckles and several new albeit dubious words contributed to the English language, I finally connected them. However, I am not sure the best way to tap into the power for my GPS unit on the V1k.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Kevin

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was thinking to tap my rear brake circuit for the + tap.

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts
Below is the wire colors for the V-1000's. You can tapped into the Tail & License Plate wire and the Ground wire under the seat in the red circle.... I found 2 brown with yellow tracer wires i just used the first one i came to.

Ground***Black with yellow tracer
Right Signal***grey} color going into connector before light
Left Signal***green } " " "
Tail & license plate***brown with yellow tracer "" "
Brake ***blue with red tracer “ “..

Electrical by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bellow is the wire colors for the V-1000's. You can tapped into the Tail & License Plate wire and the Ground wire under the seat in the red circle.... I found 2 brown with yellow tracer wires i just used the first one i came to.

Ground***Black with yellow tracer
Right Signal***grey} color going into connector before light
Left Signal***green } " " "
Tail & license plate***brown with yellow tracer "" "
Brake ***blue with red tracer “ “..

Electrical by weljo2001, on Flickr
Thank you so much! These are keyed, right?

Kevin

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry! Dumb question!

Thanks again!

Reactions: weljo2001

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is what I ended up doing.

I wasn’t sure how much power was beng sent to my license plate light then realized the most isolated and protected circuit was my 12-volt recepticle, so I tapped the 12-volt receptacle instead. My GPS uses only a transformed 5.5v, so I figured it would be a minimal draw on the system.

I don’t know what you can see in tne pics below, but I simply stubbed off my 12-volt socket wires. I also extended them a bit so I had more room to work. What you cannot see is that I made a loop in the power wire from the GPS unit where it enters the body work to allow water a drip escape route when things get wet. All connections were waterproofed as well.

Thank you Weljo for your input. I appreciate your response.

Hope this helps others too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts
Here is what I ended up doing.

I wasn’t sure how much power was beng sent to my license plate light then realized the most isolated and protected circuit was my 12-volt recepticle, so I tapped the 12-volt receptacle instead. My GPS uses only a transformed 5.5v, so I figured it would be a minimal draw on the system.

I don’t know what you can see in tne pics below, but I simply stubbed off my 12-volt socket wires. I also extended them a bit so I had more room to work. What you cannot see is that I made a loop in the power wire from the GPS unit where it enters the body work to allow water a drip escape route when things get wet. All connections were waterproofed as well.

Thank you Weljo for your input. I appreciate your response.

Hope this helps others too.

I have my GPS,Voltmeter,Heated Grips,Admore Light Bar and Admore Top Case Lights all getting power from the Ground***Black with yellow tracer and the Tail & license plate***brown with yellow tracer "" " No issues in over 2 years...

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is great to know. I will be adding heated grips and lights next. I will put them on that circuit.

I wish there was a guide for circuit specs and capacities. As a sailor, I am used to using them extensively. Cant seem to find them for this bike.

Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
19,458 Posts
That is great to know. I will be adding heated grips and lights next. I will put them on that circuit.

I wish there was a guide for circuit specs and capacities. As a sailor, I am used to using them extensively. Cant seem to find them for this bike.

Thanks so much.
The OWNERS MANUAL for the 650LT has a page dedicated to WHICH wires become "hot" when you add the Kawi relay (behind the right-side headlight), about 4 or 5 items.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts