Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! New to the forum, new owner and first post all wrapped in one. This is a question for those of you that are riding in hotter climates:

I live in Phoenix and we're finally breaking into the 110 degree plus range. I'm using my x300 to commute to work and have notice now that the tank can get pretty hot when it's sitting out in the sun. The amount of sun protection my bike gets at work is a tiny shrub of a tree, our lot doesn't have the luxury of covered spots. I've noticed now on my rides back home during (of course) the hottest part of the day that my knees that are resting on the tank have started to feel hotter and hotter, to the point where it will soon become unbearable to ride. Other than covering the whole bike with a towel, does anyone have any advice as to what I can put on the tank to not have my knees lightly seared? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
7,782 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Other than covering the whole bike with a towel, does anyone have any advice as to what I can put on the tank to not have my knees lightly seared? Thank you!
In a word...move;)

I live in shake and bake California. Central valley a hundred miles from the cool Pacific. We rarely get to a buck 10, but do see lots of temps in the triple digits. I am retired so I get to cherry pick the days when I ride and today happens to be one of those. Forecast high is 87.

To make you feel better I would love to ride in Zona in the winter months. You guys have the best winter weather anywhere in the US. Fast Eddie has a place there for the winter months and British Columbia for the summers. That's the way to do it if you can afford 2 places.

Of course you could try the old snow skiers trick..."Think Snow, think snow, think snow"

Cheers mate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I live in shake and bake California. Central valley a hundred miles from the cool Pacific. We rarely get to a buck 10, but do see lots of temps in the triple digits.
Rarely get to 110? I must time it wrong, I have never been through there when it wasn't 110-113.

·
Registered
557 Posts
A few years ago I rode back to Vancouver through the N. Cascades in the fall after the sun went down and I damn near froze. That cold and you are hugging the bike with your knees and the cold transmits right into your bones. So I fashioned these rubber pads. A bonus, they work the same for extreme heat when my black tank gets smoking..

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Kevlar lined jeans with knee armor will help a lot.

Personally, I never let my bikes sit out in the UV during the day unless I am riding. UV radiation eats motorcycles. Worse than rain. I always covered my bikes when I rode them to work. A 5x7 nylon tarp and some bungee ball straps for under $10. Can fit in a jacket pocket.

·
Registered
557 Posts
After looking online for thick rubber sheeting and getting skunked I found a local industrial gasket manufacturer and he gave me a square foot of my intended thickness. I cut and fine sanded the cuts I made with a hacksaw . I glued them on with super glue and unbelievably they are still stuck on after 50,000K! My bikes a 650, not sure how it will work on a 300...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Rarely get to 110? I must time it wrong, I have never been through there when it wasn't 110-113.
You must be looking at the outside temp gauge in your car. In the sun on asphalt you will have higher temps. The weather service records official temps. In the shade and away from buildings, asphalt, concrete, and a predetermined distance above the ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll be getting a slightly bigger cover for the bike and I'll give those rubber pads a shot!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I live in Queensland. Purchase a bike cover and use it. That will keep the direct sun off your whole bike and allow air to flow around it.
You should be using a cover anyway. Bikes age quickly when left in the sun all day. Cables, switchblocks, dash surround, all unpainted plastic - all fade in the unrelenting sun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some sort of very light, white, screws up small (nylon sheet?) cover to go over the bike (upper half at least) would probably do the trick. I used to drape a white towel over my seat to save my a$$ from getting fried. I bought some of this on Amazon to redo my seat with after shaving it, but should work for your knee pads also: Dualplex Neoprene Sponge Foam Rubber Roll Adhesive backed.

·
Registered
545 Posts
When the Versys first came out there were similar complaints about hot knees, more from the trapped engine heat than hot tank, but similar anyway. The best advice at the time was ride with your knees splayed out a bit to catch some cooling air at speed. Might work for you as well.

Hi everyone! New to the forum, new owner and first post all wrapped in one. This is a question for those of you that are riding in hotter climates:

I live in Phoenix and we're finally breaking into the 110 degree plus range. I'm using my x300 to commute to work and have notice now that the tank can get pretty hot when it's sitting out in the sun. The amount of sun protection my bike gets at work is a tiny shrub of a tree, our lot doesn't have the luxury of covered spots. I've noticed now on my rides back home during (of course) the hottest part of the day that my knees that are resting on the tank have started to feel hotter and hotter, to the point where it will soon become unbearable to ride. Other than covering the whole bike with a towel, does anyone have any advice as to what I can put on the tank to not have my knees lightly seared? Thank you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I live in Queensland. Purchase a bike cover and use it. That will keep the direct sun off your whole bike and allow air to flow around it.
You should be using a cover anyway. Bikes age quickly when left in the sun all day. Cables, switchblocks, dash surround, all unpainted plastic - all fade in the unrelenting sun.
What Brockie says Reverend. The sun will soon degrade your ride.

Having said that, I'm down in Victoria, not up in "beautiful one day, perfect the next" Queensland.
I hope you feel suitably sorry for me Brockie... this week we had frost down here two days running... freeze the balls off a billiard table. :-(

·
Registered
438 Posts
Having said that, I'm down in Victoria, not up in "beautiful one day, perfect the next" Queensland.
I hope you feel suitably sorry for me Brockie... this week we had frost down here two days running... freeze the balls off a billiard table. :-(
Last night I had to put a thick jumper on! I am almost considering setting the air conditioning to heating and turning it on. The days are beautiful though, and I am surrounded by hundreds of acres of lettuce,
cabbages, spring onions, carrots etc coming up nicely.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I live part-time in Thailand where my Versys 300 is. I have not noticed any heat in the tank. The heat comes from the opening in the faring to cool the bike. It is true that there is surprisingly much heat produced by the bike. But since I fitted the Booster Plug, much less heat is emanating.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts