Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I don't generally like the rain covers, tent to be lose and flap in he wind.
Mine is very heavy duty. It wraps around and under the bag with a strong elastic that keeps it tight. Never flaps around. I only use it in a heavy downpour as the bag repels light rain.

·
Registered
377 Posts

If I were to purchase another tank bag it would be along the lines of what eddie has here. I purchased a simple magnetic Bell Tank Bag from another forum member and it works great. It has a strap that goes around the handle bar and I've never worried about it coming off.

I have no idea why a tank bag wouldn't be designed for motorcycles. I'm young and agile and have no difficulty swinging my leg over a tail bag or if a top case rides forward a little. I just cartwheel flip on the bike every time because I'm so enthused to ride!! >:)

But seriously, tank bags save less agile people from imminent doom. I find it practical to have your phone, maps, battery pack, soda, coffee, whatever the hell you want really to be right there in front of you. You don't have to get off the bike or twist your back to reach in a tail bag to get your things. All in all, I find tank bags 100% useful and 200% motorcycle worthy.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I only use it if parked - but plan to make a new tank bag from the same drybag material as my other bike bags (dryspec) and use waterproof zippers and power pass-through bulkheads
when making it leave 1-2" flap on the top part of the zip as an overhang and you wont need "waterproof" zips" :) (if that makes sence i know i suck at describing things) and stitch a peace of wire inside the end were it doubles over to thicken it up so it cant get cought in the zip (worlds biggest pain in the arse)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
when making it leave 1-2" flap on the top part of the zip as an overhang and you wont need "waterproof" zips" :) (if that makes sence i know i suck at describing things) and stitch a peace of wire inside the end were it doubles over to thicken it up so it cant get cought in the zip (worlds biggest pain in the arse)
I ride in the rain enough that storm flaps over plain zippers are enough to stop water from wicking in. but a storm flap over the cheaper "rainproof" zippers works a treat. no need for the airtight dive suit zippers that are like 10$ per inch.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I ride in the rain enough that storm flaps over plain zippers are enough to stop water from wicking in. but a storm flap over the cheaper "rainproof" zippers works a treat. no need for the airtight dive suit zippers that are like 10$ per inch.
oh ok i thought you were talking about the over priced ones to start with

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
this thread is about Tank Bags..not some beef you have with WHOEVER...please remove..aka edit..this posting from my thread...thank you...

:wink2:
Looks like common sense has returned :topsecret::thanx::spam:

Your turn>:)

If you want to move the chain post to a new thread, I can copy, paste/ delete--your call

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Looks like common sense has returned :topsecret::thanx::spam:

Your turn>:)

If you want to move the chain post to a new thread, I can copy, paste/ delete--your call
everything seems to have settled down...well in this thread at least...
thanks to all of those involved...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a Givi Tank Lock XS308. I'd buy it again.
Got rid of the dumbass, useless map holder on top, as well as the forward shoulder strap (cut it off). Now it's perfect. Holds *lots* of gear, that you want to access quickly, is not intuitively easy to pull off the bike by someone not familiar with it (but takes 2 nanoseconds to unlock it, and even less time to pop it back on securely).
I rode 3-1/2 hours back from the Dragon last year, in a whipping downpour the entire way, and the rain cover didn't budge, and the tank bag remained bone dry.
The bag (at first) appears large, if you're not used to it... however, I've been riding with it a *long* time, and it couldn't imagine not having it... Just too convenient.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have a Givi Tank Lock XS308. Got rid of the dumbass, useless map holder on top, as well as the forward shoulder strap (cut it off).
The map holder(s) are fine on mine, clear and waterproof. They could be wider but that would mean an even wider tank bag. I can't complain as most provincial/state maps show at least 2 hours of riding before I need to re-fold the map. Depending on scale, one panel will outlast my bladder, my need to stretch, sore arse, or pausing to view the actual landscape I am riding through.

I still love maps. I like to look at maps each night on a trip and plan where to go tomorrow. That route is flexible, as it should be, but I have the big picture on the map whereas bike-sized GPS screens are to restrictive in area. I know the benefits of GPS but I'd still carry a map on my tank bag even if I owned GPS. I have a cell phone too.

I'll try to take photos over next day or two of bag w/map on tank.

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts
1stversys;1052505... I find it practical to have your phone said:
If you look at the pic w/ the silver tank-bag on BIG RED - the zippered right-side bit is where I carry my generic lemon pledge and a rag for cleaning my face-shield, and toffees in the left-side one...!

...I still love maps. I like to look at maps each night on a trip and plan where to go tomorrow. That route is flexible, as it should be, but I have the big picture on the map whereas bike-sized GPS screens are to restrictive in area. I know the benefits of GPS but I'd still carry a map on my tank bag even if I owned GPS....
Each night on my long rides I go over the maps then set the map-pocket up for the morning, before I get into my sleeping-bag. I trust my GPS, but that's BECAUSE I know where I'm going....

:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts
... I find it practical to have your phone, maps, battery pack, soda, coffee, whatever the hell you want really to be right there in front of you. You don't have to get off the bike or twist your back to reach in a tail bag to get your things. All in all, I find tank bags 100% useful and 200% motorcycle worthy.
If you look at the pic w/ the silver tank-bag on BIG RED - the zippered right-side bit is where I carry my generic lemon pledge and a rag for cleaning my face-shield, and toffees in the left-side one...!

...I still love maps. I like to look at maps each night on a trip and plan where to go tomorrow. That route is flexible, as it should be, but I have the big picture on the map whereas bike-sized GPS screens are to restrictive in area. I know the benefits of GPS but I'd still carry a map on my tank bag even if I owned GPS....
Each night on my long rides I go over the maps then set the map-pocket up for the morning, before I get into my sleeping-bag. I trust my GPS, but that's BECAUSE I know where I'm going....

:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts
T-BAGS tank bags (magnetic)

Here's a few pics of the bags I have for each of my Vs, and they HAVE been tested on long-range trips....

I can carry quite a lot, besides my 'lunch-for-the-day', in there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The map holder(s) are fine on mine, clear and waterproof. They could be wider but that would mean an even wider tank bag....
Not sure if you're talking about the same tank bag as I have. Mine, the XS308 (Givi), has *two* map pockets: one, a larger, wider, one sits on top of the bag itself. Underneath that, the top of the bag itself is a clear map pocket. I was referring to the larger, detachable one, in the pic below, which requires you to detach it, to access the bag (reduces the access speed/effectiveness on the road). The integrated map pocket is fine. The rain cover itself has a clear top, so the map within is still visible with the rain cover on.
I completely agree about having a map with you... Having the GPS go down in the middle of a road trip is not all that uncommon...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Givi Tank Lock XS308. I'd buy it again.
Got rid of the dumbass, useless map holder on top, as well as the forward shoulder strap (cut it off). Now it's perfect. Holds *lots* of gear, that you want to access quickly, is not intuitively easy to pull off the bike by someone not familiar with it (but takes 2 nanoseconds to unlock it, and even less time to pop it back on securely).
I rode 3-1/2 hours back from the Dragon last year, in a whipping downpour the entire way, and the rain cover didn't budge, and the tank bag remained bone dry.
The bag (at first) appears large, if you're not used to it... however, I've been riding with it a *long* time, and it couldn't imagine not having it... Just too convenient.
BKP,

What part or Atlanta, GA are you at?

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts
Are you using pledge for the face sheild ?

Does it streaks ?

LOP
Nope. I also use it on the instruments, GPS face, mirrors - in fact I use it as polish for the painted parts!

:thumb: - :thumb:

41 - 60 of 78 Posts