Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
You can barely duck behind a tall windshield on a Vs. 650 with NO tank bag: forget wind-drafting advantages of leaning over with any tank bag. Tank bags are not for motorcycling. ymmv
It's ok for hard-core, do nothing but tour riders, full-time commuters, or Shriners, like you. I just ride all bikes the same way, the way motorcycles were meant to ride on the streets.
you say some of the strangest things.

:dgi: you must be shorter than me because at 6'3" I can tuck and have my chest resting on the tank bag and my helmet almost hitting the handle bar. it is never in the way. I ride almost every single day on narrow curvy roads and use a tank bag more often than any other cargo option (I've got top bags, saddle bags, backpacks) and the tank bag is the most convenient and least intrusive to the motorcycling experience. the only time I ride differently than how I ride on road is when I ride off road.

or is this more about your slip streaming aerodynamics for top speed runs in half chaps? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
It's ok for hard-core, do nothing but tour riders, full-time commuters, or Shriners, like you. I just ride all bikes the same way, the way motorcycles were meant to ride on the streets. That's why I prefer the vertical twins or singles for the handling, if I can afford my preference. The Vs. 650 is a gift from Kawasaki, and I'd never ruin it with a tank bag. ymmv
thats why my bags magnetic, it comes off just as easy as i do so it isnt "ruin" anything, and I use my bikes on (and off) the street like they were meant to be, as a vehicle to haul my lazy cripple ass and what ever i need / want to haul to where ever i need to go quicker and easier then the people in the big fox killing boxes , as long as it does that everything else is just a bonus

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
you say some of the strangest things.
^^lol i know right?
:dgi: you must be shorter than me because at 6'3" I can tuck and have my chest resting on the tank bag and my helmet almost hitting the handle bar. it is never in the way. I ride almost every single day on narrow curvy roads and use a tank bag more often than any other cargo option (I've got top bags, saddle bags, backpacks) and the tank bag is the most convenient and least intrusive to the motorcycling experience. the only time I ride differently than how I ride on road is when I ride off road.

or is this more about your slip streaming aerodynamics for top speed runs in half chaps? :rolleyes:
same here, tho im down to 6'2 now , and if i wanna try to duck down i find sitting up on the passanger seat helps, i also almost always ride with a back pack and sylvester has the trunk box, and i dont seem to have any "drag issues"

Attachments

Reactions: onewizard

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It's ok for hard-core, do nothing but tour riders, full-time commuters, or Shriners, like you. I just ride all bikes the same way, the way motorcycles were meant to ride on the streets.
Just wtf are you trying to say? Are riders who tour not using their bikes properly? And off-road riders are also wrong?

"The Vs. 650 is a gift from Kawasaki" That is strange too, I had to pay for mine. >:)
Maybe it's time to get your meds adjusted, kdog.

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
Twisted Throttle

This summer I decided to try a tank bag on my 07 Versys----heard some rave reviews on threads like this----well I am happy to report that I use it every day I ride, and wish I had purchased it sooner.

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection Non-Electric QUICK-LOCK EVO GS Tankbag

:grin2:

This thread started out as tank bags, generally people ask questions to try and make informed decisions on what to buy and where as well as the best price. Something like the Versys, the reason this forum exists, which generally is the purpose of this forum, to help others and share knowledge / experience.

Recently we have had a select few make some negative comments, attempting to derail the thread--fortunately we have free speech----what I do is give some thought before I post--and many times I read my post as if I was another member just coming upon the post, immediately after,I hit edit and change it or delete it.

Just a suggestion---try and treat others the way you expect others to treat you

:teetertooter::feedback:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Just a suggestion---try and treat others the way you expect others to treat you

:teetertooter::feedback:
EAT A BAG OF DICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[*edit*] ya lets all be friends[/*edit*]

>:)>:)>:)>:):grin2:

Reactions: onewizard

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts
FWIW - I removed one of my pics (of me w/ jdrocks) from a post by kawdog because the pic had ABSOLUTELY NO connection to whatever he was posting, and I do NOT condone misuse of my images!

:frown2:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I've had a Givi Voyager Bag (magnetic) for many moons now. My V is the third bike I've had it on and it is perfect for my use. It is a two piece bag, the bottom part being the smallest and is great for day trips. It zips to the top part and both the top and bottom have a large map cover. The top expands even higher if needed, perfect for long trips. When expanded it gives a lot of wind protection from below shoulders to waist.

It has a rain cover that keeps everything absolutely dry. I rode through a rain storm of monsoon proportions, water a foot deep on the road, but the bag was not even damp.

No model number on the bag but a google search shows the 410N to be the closest match. 22 to 33 litre capacity. No longer in Givi catalogue but there are new similar models. I highly recommend Givi bags.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have the Motocentric magnetic tank bag. It works great and is reasonably priced:

MotoCentric Mototrek 7 Tank Bag - Motorcycle Superstore

Oh, and please don't confuse me with the other kawdog.
I have tried a couple of types of tank bags. For me, they worked great for touring, but the magnet ones scratched the tank (a lot more waxing is required than I like to do), I could not lean on my tank (which I like to do over 55 mph if possible, but some tanks it would prop you up nicely - not on the Vs. 650 for me), and the laced up tank bags were a hassle removing when it rained or for security downtown. That's just my opinion and my experience. I always like my bike as striped down as possible to enjoy the enhanced handling by moving around as much as possible when required (for safety and enjoyment.)

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
That bag would block my vision, plus I wouldn't know I was speeding, except by my GPS.
isnt that an excuse for once you get pulled over?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I really don't know what he thinks, we all get a little bantering, this was a friendly and informative site-- people poke fun at me and I return it--at the end of the day, no matter who it is, if I can help, I will, just don't threaten or call me names---I have 66 years of wisdom:eek:penarms:

Well to be honest, I thought it would be a PITA to gas up, the first time it wasn't latched right and came off just as I was pulling away from the gas pump. I keep my camera, my phone, a quick lunch and water bottle plus some cash all in the bag. It deflects some of the wind coming off the windshield that went over the tank. After having the bike since 08, adding the tank bag this summer made the riding that much more enjoyable.
Because it was what they call late in the season (July) I had a hard time finding anything in stock, went to Twisted Throttle and got my bag there====no regrets!
agree 110%

·
Registered
3,159 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
this isn't the exact route..but it a city to city of the route we're taking...the road master is from those areas and loves the back roads...2200 miles...I'm wondering where we're adjusting our chains at...

[/url]
I usually use my trip B setting for lubing the chain, every 300 miles / 500 kilometers. As to chain adjustment, I find about every 3000 miles / 5000 KM---one thing, I have a 16 tooth front so more surface area on the chain and less torque , about 6 % less. I don't pull the front end up all the time but frequently hit 8 to 10 K on the tack, I have both Givi 35 and Givi 45 top case, use to weigh in at 215.Plus carry at least a additional 10 Lbs in the cases.

Two things, don't make the chain slack too tight, also make sure your chain is straight I use Motion Pro 08-0048 Chain Alignment Tool-- which can be used for either the top of the chain ( chain guard side) or the bottom of the chain ( which is what I do). Lube your chain regularly, I use Dupont chainsaver or multi-use lub, spray it on then wipe the chain---then ride.

lots of opinions on lub--WD-40 --I was informed by Smiley that lubing right after a ride works better. I have a problem with that:exactly:-- I am usually late getting back to the ranch, I don't want to be left out of the meal plan and it is a good meal plan:smile2:

21 - 40 of 78 Posts