Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Tank Bags

30K views 77 replies 31 participants last post by  Alvinator 
#1 ·
I've got a couple of long trips planned for this spring and summer..and find myself in need of a good tank bag...Whatcha all got..why do you like it? I was leaning towards the Givi tank-lock bags..but have heard of some problems..ooohh nooo...

:wink2:

#6 ·
I personally prefer magnetic tank bags. Used several (have 3 now) and have never had a problem nor a scratched tank....
Me too. Here's a pic of the tank-bags (one each in AZ and BC...) I use:

They are "T-BAGS" brand, magnetic w/ a strap to attach around the handle-bar mounts, and they hold a pretty good amount of stuff.

I ONLY use them for long rides....

:thumb: - v

#4 ·
I looked at some tank bags on the weekend.
On Monday when I was picking up a replacement Visor, the shop dude allowed me to take some Givi's to my bike to see it that can fit.

I also like the Givi tank lock system (never had a tank bag) also like the SW-Motec system.

Anyway I have Rox 2" riser bars pointing in the same direction as the steering rake.
I also have rotated my bars back towards me for better wrist angle which really reduced my wrist pain.

I really like the Givi 3D604 and the XS307.
Problem is I cannot mount them as I loose a lot of steering lock - which is handy as I commute.
not great.

Points about the bags I noticed.
3D604 is good and slimmer than the XS307.
604 you can probably flip the top map pocket over so as the clear plastic does not glare you out - oh and the fact that it is fully removable not like the 307.
I cannot remember which bag has more ring mounting adjustment under the bag... think it was the 604.
307 side and back pockets are useless will only fit a small candy/protein bar at most.
Zippers are easier to use on the 604 as the firm shell holds the zipper in place, on the 307 the sides flop around a bit.

might have to look at a magnetic tank bag. Saw a nice motodry one at another shop last weekend. But did not test it for fit as I was more interested at looking at the Givi's.

#8 · (Edited)
Magnetic tank bags are great - if you have a steel tank and no plastic panels attached to it, which will interfere with most magnetic tank bags. Unfortunately for this reason most magnetic tank bags do not work well on the Versys. I had to sell my Cortech tank bag as it would not stay attached to the Versys due to the plastic panels on the sides of the tank interfering.

The SW Motech "City" tank bag is often recommended. I have a generic $15 Cycle Gear tank strap mounted bag. It performs as well and looks as good as a $30 tank bag - which is to say it sorta works and does not fall off the bike frequently, and is not a bad value at $15 because of this, but don't expect to be anything like a $200 SW-Motech tank bag.

#11 · (Edited)
#12 ·
I picked up the Rapid Recon Transit 19 after having it recommended by a friend with a Versys. It's a magnetic bag, I just tuck the wings sorta under the bag a little bit and it's never been anything but perfectly secure, even very full.

It DID scratch my tank, however that was my own dumb fault. I set the bag down on my boat where I had done some metal work, and it picked up some bb sized bits of metal, and then pulling the bag off the tank scratched it---although I suspect it's repairable without some buffing.

I prefer magnetic because yanking it off for fillups or just leaving the bike is super easy. The Recon also comes with shoulder straps should you elect to use them.

I got the bag new and unused from ebay for $50 shipped, if you're not using ebay for these things, you're missing out.

#17 ·
what you talking about, its a pillow for you to lay your head on>:)
and you really think your fat head is catching more wind then the sail givi sells us to put on the front?

Reactions: Alvinator
#29 · (Edited)
Twisted Throttle

This summer I decided to try a tank bag on my 07 Versys----heard some rave reviews on threads like this----well I am happy to report that I use it every day I ride, and wish I had purchased it sooner.

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection Non-Electric QUICK-LOCK EVO GS Tankbag

:grin2:

This thread started out as tank bags, generally people ask questions to try and make informed decisions on what to buy and where as well as the best price. Something like the Versys, the reason this forum exists, which generally is the purpose of this forum, to help others and share knowledge / experience.

Recently we have had a select few make some negative comments, attempting to derail the thread--fortunately we have free speech----what I do is give some thought before I post--and many times I read my post as if I was another member just coming upon the post, immediately after,I hit edit and change it or delete it.

Just a suggestion---try and treat others the way you expect others to treat you

:teetertooter::feedback:

#30 ·
Just a suggestion---try and treat others the way you expect others to treat you

:teetertooter::feedback:
EAT A BAG OF DICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[*edit*] ya lets all be friends[/*edit*]

>:)>:)>:)>:):grin2:

Reactions: onewizard
#32 ·
I've had a Givi Voyager Bag (magnetic) for many moons now. My V is the third bike I've had it on and it is perfect for my use. It is a two piece bag, the bottom part being the smallest and is great for day trips. It zips to the top part and both the top and bottom have a large map cover. The top expands even higher if needed, perfect for long trips. When expanded it gives a lot of wind protection from below shoulders to waist.

It has a rain cover that keeps everything absolutely dry. I rode through a rain storm of monsoon proportions, water a foot deep on the road, but the bag was not even damp.

No model number on the bag but a google search shows the 410N to be the closest match. 22 to 33 litre capacity. No longer in Givi catalogue but there are new similar models. I highly recommend Givi bags.

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have tried a couple of types of tank bags. For me, they worked great for touring, but the magnet ones scratched the tank (a lot more waxing is required than I like to do), I could not lean on my tank (which I like to do over 55 mph if possible, but some tanks it would prop you up nicely - not on the Vs. 650 for me), and the laced up tank bags were a hassle removing when it rained or for security downtown. That's just my opinion and my experience. I always like my bike as striped down as possible to enjoy the enhanced handling by moving around as much as possible when required (for safety and enjoyment.)

This post has been deleted
#52 ·
I have a Givi Tank Lock XS308. I'd buy it again.
Got rid of the dumbass, useless map holder on top, as well as the forward shoulder strap (cut it off). Now it's perfect. Holds *lots* of gear, that you want to access quickly, is not intuitively easy to pull off the bike by someone not familiar with it (but takes 2 nanoseconds to unlock it, and even less time to pop it back on securely).
I rode 3-1/2 hours back from the Dragon last year, in a whipping downpour the entire way, and the rain cover didn't budge, and the tank bag remained bone dry.
The bag (at first) appears large, if you're not used to it... however, I've been riding with it a *long* time, and it couldn't imagine not having it... Just too convenient.

#53 ·
I have a Givi Tank Lock XS308. Got rid of the dumbass, useless map holder on top, as well as the forward shoulder strap (cut it off).
The map holder(s) are fine on mine, clear and waterproof. They could be wider but that would mean an even wider tank bag. I can't complain as most provincial/state maps show at least 2 hours of riding before I need to re-fold the map. Depending on scale, one panel will outlast my bladder, my need to stretch, sore arse, or pausing to view the actual landscape I am riding through.

I still love maps. I like to look at maps each night on a trip and plan where to go tomorrow. That route is flexible, as it should be, but I have the big picture on the map whereas bike-sized GPS screens are to restrictive in area. I know the benefits of GPS but I'd still carry a map on my tank bag even if I owned GPS. I have a cell phone too.

I'll try to take photos over next day or two of bag w/map on tank.

#62 ·
I use the Givi 4L tankless bag on my 2012 Versys. I have recovered from a long history of 13L+ expandable bags used over the years for long tours and have learned to put in there what needs to be immediately accessible and pack the rest in the trunk. And pack less in general. The rain cover that comes with this bag works great, but the phone window is maxed out with an iPhone 6. My Versys has the satin/flat black paint which will be marked with a magnetic bag.

#65 ·
Wolfman Blackhawk Tank Bag... Love It!

When I brought my 2014 Versys home a couple weeks ago I had one of the shop owners help me install a Wolfman Blackhawk and I was instantly a fan of having a tank bag. I'll be adding a tail bag for longer rides soon but this is the perfect size for glasses, gloves, water bottle, med kit, or a sammich when I blast out at work on my lunch break.

Living in the same town as Wolfman kinda made it a no-brainer on which bag I'd try first. So far, so good. Coming off a decade of cruiser riding I'm not trying to tuck under the windscreen (and will likely be adding a taller screen at some point in the future anyway). I'll be adding Mosko Moto rear end luggage so maybe I'll give their tank bag a shot at some point but for pure utility I can't fault the Wolfman for anything. It ain't the cheapest for the size, but it's stout and hasn't moved around on me at all.

Attachments

#66 ·
I just got a Givi XS320 from FortNine w/ BF26 tank ring for my 2018 Versys. Bag is great, although I'd prefer it if the base was rigid all the way through, instead of soft for the curved section. When loaded up, it touches the tank more than I'd like it to. But that's not too big of a deal for me. Bag is easy to attach and remove, and helps me take my lunch/bike cover/assorted items to work without needing the panniers. Two thumbs up.

Side note: the strap for attaching the bag to the handlebar seems pointless to me. The ring is supposed to keep the bag secure, and the strap voids the easy on/off feature of the entire system to begin with. Thinking about cutting it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.