Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I want to buy a tank bag with a quick release mechanism.

I figure a tank bag with magnets won't work because of the plastic fairings/cowlings on each side of the tank.

I don't see anything made specifically for the Versys-x 300. However, there are many options for the 650.

So now my question: Are the gas caps of the Versys-x 300 and the Versys 650 identical?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been looking for a quick release tank bag for my bike too, but I just don't like anything out there. The 300x has an odd shaped tank that falls away right behind the gas cap. This make all of the tank bags that attach with a gas cap rings stick out over the rear of the tank. That doesn't work for me. Giant loop has a solution that I think I'm going to go with. It has a harness that stays attached to the bike, but the bag can be unzipped from the harness and carried with you. It's a little expensive for what it is, but aren't they all?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Cargo pants.

Reactions: ulito23

·
Registered
27 Posts
Givi list a locking tank bag ring. They list a BF29 as the correct fitment for X-300. I have not fitted this item
I have this fitted. BF29 is the correct ring. The system works flawlessly. SW-Motech's equally so. I think both are very sturdy, with the Givi being slightly cheaper. You can't go wrong with either of them. People that already own a bag continue with the same system in their next bike.

·
Super Moderator
19,595 Posts
I can't say they'll work for a 300, but for my V650s I use "T-BAGS" magnetic tank bags. They have a 'strap' that goes around the steering-head, as well as the magnets, and I've never had one of them threaten to fall off (MOSTLY the strap is just 'insurance', as the magnets hold them VERY well).

Visible here in this pic taken in Aug '17 at the end of 25 days-on-the-road.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i have 2 tank bags i use on the versys, both are magnetic, one is the kawasaki brand one meant for the versys and the other if a generic flee bay special, both have done over 100mph and wheelies without an issue

·
Super Moderator
19,595 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm currently using the Givi Tanklock ring with the ST602 bag. It works fine for what I use it for. I'd be uncertain about clearance issues with any larger Tanklock bag though.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
The best way to go is with a tank ring system. They are just superior to magnets or straps although slightly more expensive. Consult Twisted Throttle for fitment info. Don't waste money though on an electrified bag when you can install a 12V outlet or 3A USB charging port for next to nothing with very cheap EBay or AliExpress parts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I finally got the BF29 ring installed. Very easy to do. The tank lock system works well. However, you guys were right. There is not a lot of space between the gas cap and the handlebars. It's very tight.

Having 30mm handlebar risers, the bolts hit the bag ever so slightly. It's not a big deal with the ST602, but I don't think anything bigger will fit the X-300.

Edit: I took a picture. You can see the dimples. This is where the bolts of the handlebar hit the bag. Nothing major.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I highly recommend Give tank lock and tank bag from those guys. they have tank lock specifically for our Versys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts