Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you blast me on this post I have had three different after market windshields that I bought for my KLR before giving up and going back to stock, NOT a cheap way to learn they didn't work.

Anyway on my trip yesterday I found I was having to stop all the time to clean bug splats off my face shield I decided that may I should get a taller shield for the bike. I like the look of the stock shield but the bugs are worse this year than I can ever remember.

I saw the Givi at TT and thought I'd try it. I kind of like the look of it the best of the ones I've seen so far. Any input of it such as buffeting or wind slap? I'm right at 6' and the air off the stock shield hits at the base on my helmet now BUT is fairly "Clean" air very little buffet. I tried the shield in the most upright setting and the bike really got slapped around by the wind from trucks and vans.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be looking forward to a "Test Report" from you!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've had the Givi on my 08, and have one ordered for my 11. On my 08, the shield works adequately for my 6'2" height when in the topmost position. The problem is that when in the topmost position, the vibrations from rough roads, or cobblestones, (both in abundant supply here in Mexico), stresses the aluminum windshield mounts, and apparently stresses the left mount on the early model more than the right. I've replaced the left mount twice, and welded it 3 times, before lowering the windscreen to the lowest position. Not sure the 2011 will be any different, but thought I'd give you the heads-up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will be fitting the Givi to my 2012 V tomorrow, will advise on my findings in the next week.

I have also ordered a Madstad adjustable bracket with an 18" screen. I am waiting for Mark from Madstad to confirm that the V kits is now fully tested and ready for sale. He expects sometime in the next week.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too bad there's no way to "Test Ride" a windshield. Like I said I bought 3 different ones for my KLR and ended up with the factory one on until it gets REAL cold. Either didn't like the looks, fit or buffeting.

Waiting to hear your report PC.

Time

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had the givi on my 2012 V for about 2months + now. I'm about 5'9" and for the most part its good, offers good protection from bugs. But at higher speeds it seems like it could have been a couple of inches higher. The top of my helmet catches some of the bad air, and I find that I need to slouch a little. Interestingly , I find that if I ride with my visor open, it smooth out the bad air that my helmets catches when the visor is down. It's in the top most position now, and haven't really experimented with other positions.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've got a Givi on the 012....I'm 5'10" and it is perfect. I can ride with the shield up if I want, and it works great. It's perfect at highway speeds also, I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a Givi on the 012....I'm 5'10" and it is perfect. I can ride with the shield up if I want, and it works great. It's perfect at highway speeds also, I'm very happy with it.
Good news. I may go ahead and order on next week and hope for the best as it looked OK on your bike. Some of the after market windshields seem to "Take Over" the bike.

BTW I looked at you bike trying to figure out what type hand guards you had before it hit me...DOH it's a tank bag!

Sean, I'll take a little bad air at speed. I looking for protection from the bugs in spring/summer and cold in fall/winter. BUT I want something I can swap back to the factory shield with just a few screws if I want. I don't mind CLEAN air and when it's real hot I'd rather have that than a "wall" in front of me...until I can figure out how to install A/C anyway!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the same yellow hornet / pittsburgh steelers Versys!
JNOR - Can I ask what model Givi and what's the best price on that windscreen???

-Peace-:usa:

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is lots of screen advice on this forum...and rightfully so because everyone is different regarding both size and posture as well as riding conditions. I rode for a long time with a Givi on a Madstad bracket and was quite comfortable with the exception of some buffeting during some interstate riding. I tried adding a home-made lip to it and that helped but I decided to try a tall Parabellum. This has been the best setup for me. I am 6-2". It is a big screen but I like the way it functions.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks JNOR; Thanks Squirrelly - But I don't think those Parabellum will fit our 2012?? Looks like the old 2008-09 Mounting bars..?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have a givi copy. I'm 5'6" and at the straightened setting, it blocks out most of the wind and i can ride 100mph without having to hunch or getting blasted compared to using the stock shield. Blocks most of the bugs but there are still the occasional few that manages to hit the top of visor.

The only drawback, i'm sweating profusely in the hot tropical weather despite wearing a mesh jacket. Plus there's some downward wind pressure at the top of my helmet that pushes the rain water down into the visor when it rains.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Man that's a sweet looking bike. It makes my 2008 look dated. I love the yellow, my last car was a Screaming Yellow Mustang GT. I may need to stop by the Kawi dealer soon. No, must resist urge...
That yellow/black/silver colour combo is just deluxe. Esily the best looking V ever, IMHO.

I have a 2012 all black, everything is just black including the swingarm. In Oz weonly have black.

I think I might take it down to my fav spray painter and paint in that yellow onto my fairing and guards, love it. Might go for a more classic yellow though?

·
Registered
82 Posts
There is lots of screen advice on this forum...and rightfully so because everyone is different regarding both size and posture as well as riding conditions. I rode for a long time with a Givi on a Madstad bracket and was quite comfortable with the exception of some buffeting during some interstate riding. I tried adding a home-made lip to it and that helped but I decided to try a tall Parabellum. This has been the best setup for me. I am 6-2". It is a big screen but I like the way it functions.
I fitted the Givi D410ST to my 12 V today. Tried the two highest positions. I think I might have been expecting too much as it did not meet my expectations in either position.

I still experienced a lot of wind to the head around nose level and up. The position (Position 2 in the owner manual) where the top of the screen is the most forward felt the best.

You can crouch forward and get total protection but not in the upright position. You also et a lot ofwind on your upper arms.

I am 6' 1" with long body, short legs.

I have ordered a Madstad with one of their 18" screens which I beleive is both taller and wider than the Givi so it may work well or maybe the Givi on the Madstad brackets, will have to wait and see.

Overall, the Givi offers a big improvement over the OEM screen and for riders who are say up to about 5' 9" I beleive that they would get very good protection.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That yellow and black is frikkin' sharp looking! :thumb:

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Givi on my 09 still had to much wind/buffering.
I added a Laminar lip to the Givi and its much better. The best setup I've tryed so far.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts