Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Versys forum ! I need some help from you guys! I am flirting with an outstanding deal with a Versys 2008 great condition - seems like brand new - with 6500km at a killer price! My concern is that i was mostly looking for a V-strom 650 2008 - 2011 due to my height because it's a bigger bike and i have ridden it and felt pretty good. With the Versys i have no friends that own one so i can't ride one, the owner of the bike of course can't trust me to ride it for a fair distance so i can make my mind, and Kawasaki here in Greece doesn't even have a brand new for a test ride to have a comparison. Any tall riders wanna share their experiences ? Will it fit me ? I don't want to buy a bike even at a really fair price for the bike and thinking of selling it after 1 year or so.. Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
20,438 Posts
WELCOME aboard!

I'm willing to bet that you WILL fit that V650, but you'll need to lower the footpegs, and probably add handle-bar risers, and IF the '08 still has OEM mirrors - replace them, and add wideners.

IMG_0392 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

You can notice the mirrors (Aprilia Tuono) and the right-side widener on my '08 (just over 95,000 miles on it!).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a beast !!!! Any recommedations on the bar risers and footpegs would be awesome ! The one i am flirting with has literally everything stock, but ! I am going to sit on - and maybe have a chance for a small ride - on a one that has a kinda tall owner and has stock footpegs and no risers but a higher seat. Thank you for your answer !!

·
Registered
88 Posts
6'5" here on versys gen 2. It's an okay fit. Lowered footpegs and a tall screen will help.

Your knees will be at pretty much at the right angle. For very long rides you will feel the issue. I know I do and I'm a relatively healthy individual
The windscreen can only be that tall so expect some buffeting at higher speeds. I only tried puig with spoiler and it gets very flimsy the faster you go
Cushioning or thicker seat may help your bum and your knees, however, you will get more buffeting in exchange
Maybe irrelevant but I had (and still have) an endless list of technical issues with gen 2 bike (I've replaced/fixed way too many things than I would like to) - it's 11 year old

My bet is gen 3 versys
It has even lower footpegs by default.
Reduced engine vibrations should also mean an easier life for the knees.
Better screen mounting points look promising - maybe it accommodates sturdier and taller screens

I've never had bar raisers and didn't really have an issue with the upper body - your bum, your knees, your wrist, your palms will be main things you notice

You don't have many options anyways for mid-weight bike. Taller seats only come with big bikes like GS1200, XT1200, Africa Twin, maybe gs850 - but they are not budget bikes lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will definitely find a gen. 3 to sit in, thanks for the advice ! The gen. 3 is the same that is now brand new ? Yeah I know it’s a pain in the ass to find a relatively cheap bike that can fit big guys. The best fit I’ve tried so far is a KTM 1090 adventure but it’s very pricey, I just need a bike for commuting and some weekend road trips!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I will definitely find a gen. 3 to sit in, thanks for the advice ! The gen. 3 is the same that is now brand new ? Yeah I know it’s a pain in the ass to find a relatively cheap bike that can fit big guys. The best fit I’ve tried so far is a KTM 1090 adventure but it’s very pricey, I just need a bike for commuting and some weekend road trips!
Gen 3 yeah same as the new one - maybe a few parts will be different from 2015 and 2021 but nothing noticeable i.e. 2021 has slightly improved emissions compared to 2020 and down

The insurers just say no to me on big bikes unless it's a third party only

Yes, my advice would be just getting 2015/2016 model if you are on a tight budget. It will costs slightly more but its worth it. If not for the comfort part then at least for money saving - fewer parts will break and there is a lot more parts available (used/new) for gen 3 on ebay than gen 1 or gen 2

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am 6'5" (maybe a fraction more) - ride a Gen II Versys 650 with MotoWerk Bar Risers and FootPeg Lowerers. Was a bit cramped before the modifications but is quite nice with the bar and Footpeg mods. At 52 years old - I have issues with right hip & Knee so VERY occasionally get a bit of cramping - just stretching it out fixes that without a problem.... Not height related - just general injury related.

Haven't ridden a Gen III - so cant sat if they have any more room - but would be confident that a Gen II would fit you fine!

I

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I was 6' 3" before I started to shrink years ago. I've had my 07 Versys for 10 years now. The peg lowers are a must but I found that the handlebars fit nicely by simply tilting them back a bit.
Another fix, besides the need for wider mirrors, is the seat. It sucks, as do most motorcycle seats. The fix for mine was a Seat Concepts. I had it for some time and then customised it by cutting out some foam at the point where thighs contact the seat.

Once you fit the V to your body shape you will likely love it, as do most inmates here. Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m 6’4” 210 pounds. Needed to lower the footpegs, bar risers, tall windscreen, and a custom bucket seat on the original seat pan that moved the seating position as far back as it would go. Now it’s ok to ride, before not so much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts