Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to the Versys site but not to motorcycling. I love my BMW GS, have a Honda XR650L also to ride on pure dirt. Not sure why I'm seriously tempted by a Green Versys, but I am.

I'm not sure if I want talked into it or out of getting one, but would appreciate your thoughts!

Certainly don't need the Versys (snow is starting) but sure lust after one.

Dave:teetertooter:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Not sure why you would need talking into or out of a Versys? Most of the riders on this forum have many bikes in the stable now, or have a long list of past bikes. The Versys is just one of those rare motorcycles that hit the fun factor nail on the head. You could not do yourself wrong to own one, but you might regret never owning one.
Right now, you are behind all the other riders that have discovered it's potential.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very well said. Motorcycles really are not rational machines. The fun factor is really about everything.

Not sure why you would need talking into or out of a Versys? Most of the riders on this forum have many bikes in the stable now, or have a long list of past bikes. The Versys is just one of those rare motorcycles that hit the fun factor nail on the head. You could not do yourself wrong to own one, but you might regret never owning one.
Right now, you are behind all the other riders that have discovered it's potential.
Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
The versys is just a fun bike which makes you smile, my previous bike was a GS 650 but the v will blow that out of the water on the road but going off road on rough stuff would prefer my old bmw as the suspension was just so much better in my opinion.

test ride a versys and see what you think
Phil

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hell I'm not sure why I'm attracted to it myself. I recently bought a Bandit thinking it'd be everything I ever wanted but I find myself bored from having to restrain my right wrist. I also hate the exhaust note the header configuration and pipe generate. I decided wanted a do it all street bike with about 60-75 horse in the 400lbs class and the V immediately caught my eye. I'm normally partial to older style naked bikes but this thing is just so ugly it's almost pretty. I like how it feels sitting on one, not reaching for the bars like the Bandit, feels more like my Nighthawk except this thing actually has some leg room. I've yet to read a review of one that dislikes the motor and how the bike handles. I thought the controls felt kinda cheap but I don't hear about them breaking so they obviously work. We'll see if I've changed my mind come spring when it's time to thin the heard and buy one.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I rode several diff. styles of bikes from cruisers to crotch rockets and none of them felt as natural as the Versys did. If you can def. get hooked up with a test drive, the bike will sell it's self! Just don't forget to take your check book with you.
The green ones are the fastest :)

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
The green ones are the fastest :)
In all respect saying green ones are fastest is not proven and you may put the original poster wrong, a very long winded test has proven that red/orange is the fastest in the fleet with orange being 0.00000243 faster than the red but to close for the human eye to tell. This is a fact :D

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
In all respect saying green ones are fastest is not proven and you may put the original poster wrong, a very long winded test has proven that red/orange is the fastest in the fleet with orange being 0.00000243 faster than the red but to close for the human eye to tell. This is a fact :D
I believe a read in an obscure academic study that it's only true below the equator. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
I believe a read in an obscure academic study that it's only true below the equator. :thumb:
Very true and good spotting, north of the equator red/orange are a bit faster again. A kiwi who split the atom had proved it but his report was stolen by a bunch of little green men

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
My cousin Jim and I used to ride the deer trails here in Michigan when we were teens...Me on his Honda trail50, and him on his Honda 'elsinore'.
That was then...We are both 51 years old now.
Last year I bought my first bike... The Versys!
Last year Jim bought a top of the line KTM trail bike. (His first bike in over 30 years).
Jim asked me why I didn't by a dirt bike?
Hmmmm... I ride everyday. (walk out to the garage and start it up).
Jim needs to load up his bike and drive 3 hours, arrange for a place to sleep then hit the trails.
To each his own I guess but, I'll go with
INSTANT GRATIFICATION

·
Registered
288 Posts
Agreed the Versys is different looking, to kind of cool looking. We all lust after other bikes that are cooler looking, bigger, more HP, etc, and as I fall into this from time to time I just can't and do not want to give up the ride of the Versys. Ride one in the twisties and you'll see what we all in this forum know and love about the Versys. It ROCKS!

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
Love my V - best handling bike I've had, and that WILL go into "license-losing-territory" pretty easily, though I'm not tempted to go there like I was on my 1200S Bandit. Try it, you'll like it! :goodidea: :goodluck:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well i for one bought mine so i could go with all my Beemer friends we ride 50% on the road and 30% really bad road then the rest are cow trails.. So far i have been able to comfortably go everywhere they have wanted to... Huge advantage not to have all the weight to manhandle like the GS1200 guys do.....Wouldnt trade it for anything else...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Bought mine 2-1/2 years ago, put 33k miles on it with just normal maintenance. Love the bike, the way it handles, its power/acceleration. Ride it on dirt roads and occasional single track. The bike does it all, and it's very fun to ride. My advice: buy one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Think I'm going to do it; just my kind of bike. Thank you for the all the imput! I'll post pics when she arrives.:thumb:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had a GS 650. I can change the oil on my V in less then 15 min. I can check my valves in 1 hour. I have the shop manual and it cost less then 100 bucks. I can load it down with 150 pounds of gear and the ride performance does not change at all. It cost half of what you spent on the BMW. The only downside I have found between the two is the GS is a little more planted on dirt roads but not enough to be a deal breaker

1 - 20 of 20 Posts