Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
motowerk highway peg mount Highway Peg Mounts 27 mm
rivco pegs rivco pegs - Google Search
bluetooth speakers in your helmet so you can listen to some music, low volume of course
take a duffel bag and put it in front of your top box, pack it out to the front of your bike so you have a back rest, it really helps allow with your stretch breaks
3 leg folding chair with a back (if you don't get a chair with a back you will regret it at the end of the day) The GCI Outdoor Quik-E-Seat | Camping Seats from GCI Outdoor
stebel nautiluas compact horn, it wakes stupid people/drivers up
backoff xp brake signal light signaldynamics.com
radiator guard for those pebbles that want to put a hole in your radiator r&g radiator guard
powerlet.com sells wiring and outlets to charge your stuff while you ride

This stuff is on my wife's 2014 v650, I ride 2017 v1k same stuff on mine. We also used all of this stuff on 2 klr's traveling to central america and back twice for 3 months each time
Thank you - great tips! I have most of those things already but working on highway pegs right now - I have the SW Motech sliders so not sure how I'm going to mount them...
The duffel bag tip is clutch - thanks!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Read thread title and destinations like Alaska or cross country came to mind and my thought was get a lighter bike. ;)

Lots of good advice. Make sure your comfortable with seat and such, stay hydrated and take regular breaks off the bike. Assume you will average no more than 40 mph with stops.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Taking my first long trip on my '19 V650, about 7 hours. Chicago, IL to Rochester, MN. Taking backroads/scenic route, should be beautiful. Never really ridden more than 1-2 hours. Any tips from the pros? My Terry Adcox seat won't be ready in time so I'm thinking at least an Airhawk pad or something? Also, should I add highway pegs?

View attachment 182368
Make sure to bring warm clothes it can still get cold this time of year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Some good tips here. Here are mine:
Hydrate. A Camelback (or similar) allows you to hydrate while on the move.
Check the weather before you leave. Dress appropriately. There is no bad weather if you are prepared.
Aleve, or whatever pain reliever you choose. Take a couple before you hit the road.
Most of all, don't over think. Enjoy the adventure. Stop when you feel like it. Don't hurry, don't worry.

·
Premium Member
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
49 Posts
>>>> Enjoy :D
It is expected to be overexcited - nervous - over plan & overpack.
Kudos to you, to start with day trips, maybe a weekender is next,.. its all fun!

What I'm trying to say is, that some of my riding buddies found out that they prefer day trips, some others like myself we are able Ito ride for months (well almost ;))
Find what you like, and not what others tell you you should or shouldn't like or do.... because all rides are personal and mean different thinks for everybody -ENJOY!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I don't have a GPS and I don't want to mount my phone since it's not waterproof. Any suggestions for a low cost waterproof GPS?

·
Registered
201 Posts
So I don't have a GPS and I don't want to mount my phone since it's not waterproof. Any suggestions for a low cost waterproof GPS?
Andriod waterproof unlocked phone. @ 100 dollars or used for less. Load it up with OSMmaps, Google Maps, Rever,TomTom app, or whatever you want to use. Just make sure to offline the area you'll be using it. I've left phones plugged in with usb on the bottom behind the windscreen through rain for a long time and never had one short.

Ulefone Armor X7, Blu Xtreme etc are inexpensive. Go to gsmarena.com and use the filters for IPX rating and price plus year and that'll filter it down fast to the latest offerings, then google those to find a deal.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Andriod waterproof unlocked phone. @ 100 dollars or used for less. Load it up with OSMmaps, Google Maps, Rever,TomTom app, or whatever you want to use. Just make sure to offline the area you'll be using it. I've left phones plugged in with usb on the bottom behind the windscreen through rain for a long time and never had one short.

Ulefone Armor X7, Blu Xtreme etc are inexpensive. Go to gsmarena.com and use the filters for IPX rating and price plus year and that'll filter it down fast to the latest offerings, then google those to find a deal.
Great ideas, thank you. I'm just gonna get a waterproof case for my Pixel 3a and use that I think.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You may try one of these throttle locks:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You may try one of these throttle locks:

Nice, yeah I just actually installed something similar.

·
Premium Member
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
49 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Great ideas, thank you. I'm just gonna get a waterproof case for my Pixel 3a and use that I think.
That'll work well too. Cell phones all work great, esp. with a headset to hear the voice directions. The only downside is good luck with the touchscreen and gloves! Some of the screens get pretty washed out and hard to see in the sun, which then requires max brightness +mapping app=super short battery life or overheating on hot days with that combined with charging heat.

I ran them for years before finally just getting a dedicated unit in the TomTom Rider 550 on a sale. I prefer it to the Garmins for the mydrive web based planning that imports gpx tracks and routes them easily. The Garmin planning software is ancient and terrible imo. So far 3 of the guys I ride with have it and it's so easy to just have all 3 log into my account and it will auto update all the routes via wifi to all the devices so they each have the exact same voice guidance on the ride. That makes the mapping easy. We usually bring a paper map to talk over and then i'll route it on mydrive via a hotspot at the same time if we want to adhoc a route or change something.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That'll work well too. Cell phones all work great, esp. with a headset to hear the voice directions. The only downside is good luck with the touchscreen and gloves! Some of the screens get pretty washed out and hard to see in the sun, which then requires max brightness +mapping app=super short battery life or overheating on hot days with that combined with charging heat.
Yeah, this is definitely why GPS units have matte screens. I'll try and mount it so it isn't pointing at the sky.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah, this is definitely why GPS units have matte screens. I'll try and mount it so it isn't pointing at the sky.
The ram mounts work great for being able to tilt them and get the sun glare out quickly. I don't run my iphone 12 on a ram though after stories of vibration and camera damage. That thing goes in the tank bag now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Taking my first long trip on my '19 V650, about 7 hours. Chicago, IL to Rochester, MN. Taking backroads/scenic route, should be beautiful. Never really ridden more than 1-2 hours. Any tips from the pros? My Terry Adcox seat won't be ready in time so I'm thinking at least an Airhawk pad or something? Also, should I add highway pegs?

View attachment 182368
I rode down to Terry’s last August on my stock seat from St. Louis and rode back from Manchester, Tn on a double bucket. What a difference in rides! Highway pegs were a Godsend as was cruise control. I took the back roads also. Have a safe trip! Hope you are not going to Mayo...:cautious: ugh!

·
Registered
2017 Versys-X 300
55 Posts
Cell phones can lose their signal more than you think. Think mountains, back roads, or large open stretches. Back it up with a GPS. I learned to allow twice as much time as you think and then add some. You'll always run into places that you didn't know about. Also allow for bad weather, repairs, making friends, etc. You will never have too much time. It's all about the trip, not the destination!

Reactions: SS7

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Cell phones can lose their signal more than you think. Think mountains, back roads, or large open stretches. Back it up with a GPS. I learned to allow twice as much time as you think and then add some. You'll always run into places that you didn't know about. Also allow for bad weather, repairs, making friends, etc. You will never have too much time. It's all about the trip, not the destination!
Thanks! As long as I download the maps ahead of time I'm good, since cell phones have GPS built in.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I rode down to Terry’s last August on my stock seat from St. Louis and rode back from Manchester, Tn on a double bucket. What a difference in rides! Highway pegs were a Godsend as was cruise control. I took the back roads also. Have a safe trip! Hope you are not going to Mayo...:cautious: ugh!
Unfortunately yes, going to Mayo. I ordered a Terry seat about 6 months ago but unfortunately he's battling cancer right now, poor guy.

I can't figure out how to add highway pegs even though I really want to. I have SW Motech frame sliders, not crash bars. Any tips?

·
Registered
2017 Versys-X 300
55 Posts
They also sell sun shades to fit on phones and GPS's. They really help.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks! As long as I download the maps ahead of time I'm good, since cell phones have GPS built in.
Yup. I've been using a cell phone for my dedicated m/c "GPS" unit for 4-5 years. Bought a used large ("phablet" sized) waterproof/shockproof, glove-friendly cell phone for $50 on eBay. Deleted all un-needed apps, turned off all antennas except GPS, removed the SIM card, and downloaded an off-line mapping/nav app. Works great for what I need it for, and it can still be used for 911 calls and on WiFi for anything any normal phone can do on WiFi. No data needed, no carrier needed, no cell towers, no cost.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts