Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking my first long trip on my '19 V650, about 7 hours. Chicago, IL to Rochester, MN. Taking backroads/scenic route, should be beautiful. Never really ridden more than 1-2 hours. Any tips from the pros? My Terry Adcox seat won't be ready in time so I'm thinking at least an Airhawk pad or something? Also, should I add highway pegs?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I use an Airhawk (for my last 3 bikes, probably close to 75k miles on an airhawk. I have not needed an aftermarket seat. They need to be nearly flat to work and be comfortable. Highway pegs do help a lot if you have knee pain to be able to switch it up some. You may get some neck pain with wearing the helmet that long or discover pressure spots that don't happen with an hour ride. All the minor things tend to amplify the longer you're on the bike. With backroads and if not in any rush just take lots of short breaks for 5-10 minutes and stretch the legs, that helps a lot.

I've been to Alaska and back from NY on my Versys (and across the USA a bunch of times on other bikes) and it wasn't uncomfortable for average 450 miles a day.

Wearing earplugs also cuts fatigue significantly. I use soft foam howard leat laser lite's that I buy boxes of 200 pair and they last for years, I always have a bunch in my tank bag. Wind noise is mentally tiring over the course of the day and it'll damage your hearing over time.

And if rain is anywhere in this equation make sure your gear works, that will make for a miserable experience fast if you soak through. When in doubt buy some inexpensive frog toggs that will fit over your current gear and wear those over it, they will keep you dry.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use an Airhawk (for my last 3 bikes, probably close to 75k miles on an airhawk. I have not needed an aftermarket seat. They need to be nearly flat to work and be comfortable. Highway pegs do help a lot if you have knee pain to be able to switch it up some. You may get some neck pain with wearing the helmet that long or discover pressure spots that don't happen with an hour ride. All the minor things tend to amplify the longer you're on the bike. With backroads and if not in any rush just take lots of short breaks for 5-10 minutes and stretch the legs, that helps a lot.

I've been to Alaska and back from NY on my Versys (and across the USA a bunch of times on other bikes) and it wasn't uncomfortable for average 450 miles a day.

Wearing earplugs also cuts fatigue significantly. I use soft foam howard leat laser lite's that I buy boxes of 200 pair and they last for years, I always have a bunch in my tank bag. Wind noise is mentally tiring over the course of the day and it'll damage your hearing over time.

And if rain is anywhere in this equation make sure your gear works, that will make for a miserable experience fast if you soak through. When in doubt buy some inexpensive frog toggs that will fit over your current gear and wear those over it, they will keep you dry.
Great tips, thank you. I've never ridden a motorcycle without my earplugs so I've got that one down. Got a good set of rain gear too. The trip is about 320 miles one way. Which Airhawk should I buy for the Versys?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Great tips, thank you. I've never ridden a motorcycle without my earplugs so I've got that one down. Got a good set of rain gear too. The trip is about 320 miles one way. Which Airhawk should I buy for the Versys?

I've been using that one since about 2013. Still going, I've replaced the cover on it once. Remember they need to be nearly flat or it's pretty uncomfortable. Just enough air to barely keep you off the seat.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Take stretch breaks... you can do it while riding or actually stop... and I agree with using earplugs. Even just standing up every now and then will help a ton. Also water.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Taking my first long trip on my '19 V650, about 7 hours. Chicago, IL to Rochester, MN. Taking backroads/scenic route, should be beautiful. Never really ridden more than 1-2 hours. Any tips from the pros? My Terry Adcox seat won't be ready in time so I'm thinking at least an Airhawk pad or something? Also, should I add highway pegs?
Just some of the things I do/bring (full disclosure – I am just a weekend warrior). Bring chain lube, a few shop rags, a few rags you can dampen with water to clean squished bugs off the windscreen and headlights, small set of basic hand tools, tire repair kit and an air source, cash and motorcycle cover. Not sure if the cover helps but the thought is out of sight, out of mind. I only use the cover when the bike is parked overnight. Worked for me so far but who knows if the cover helped or not.

I also use a Garmin GPS. Kind of fun using Basecamp, along with Google maps/street view, to find the most desolate curvy country routes possible. With the route planned ahead of time I can kick back and enjoy the ride!

Southwest and western Wisconsin is intensely beautiful, especially as you get closer to the Mississippi river and Lacrosse area. There are back roads there where if you use a LOT of imagination it feels like riding through the foothills of the Appalachians. Just keep an eye out for gravel and other debris on the curvy roads. PM sent on the Airhawk seat cushion. Sounds like a great trip, enjoy!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just some of the things I do/bring (full disclosure – I am just a weekend warrior). Bring chain lube, a few shop rags, a few rags you can dampen with water to clean squished bugs off the windscreen and headlights, small set of basic hand tools, tire repair kit and an air source, cash and motorcycle cover. Not sure if the cover helps but the thought is out of sight, out of mind. I only use the cover when the bike is parked overnight. Worked for me so far but who knows if the cover helped or not.

I also use a Garmin GPS. Kind of fun using Basecamp, along with Google maps/street view, to find the most desolate curvy country routes possible. With the route planned ahead of time I can kick back and enjoy the ride!

Southwest and western Wisconsin is intensely beautiful, especially as you get closer to the Mississippi river and Lacrosse area. There are back roads there where if you use a LOT of imagination it feels like riding through the foothills of the Appalachians. Just keep an eye out for gravel and other debris on the curvy roads. PM sent on the Airhawk seat cushion. Sounds like a great trip, enjoy!
We had a flat on the way out to alaska a few years back and I had been carrying the mushroom plugs (the more expensive ones). First time using them, anyway, did not even come close to sealing the hole. So we ended up using the cheap rope plugs which held air with a slow leak until we replaced the tire. FYI for whatevery types of plugs you guys use. I now have both.

I agree with dedicated GPS. I used to use the phone but good luck with that touch screen doing anything other than being stopped or with gloves. I use a TomTom Rider 550 now as I prefer the mydrive website for planning vs Garmin's software, but either would work well. I actually use rever to plan with the butler maps suggestions then export that as a static line into mydrive as a gpx, hit edit once and it calculates it properly for the TomTom, from there click save and it will be on the device waiting via Wifi sync in the garage.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I also use an AirHawk cushion for long travel.
Another critical tool is the cramp buster, it makes it so much easier on your wrist.
I usually plan my route and try to go as much as possible without looking at GPS.
I do have an old GPS that works in the rain with a cover, and I usually have my phone, and then a tablet as a backup ;)
I made some highway pegs a few years back and it helps stretch the legs.

Nice V you have there!! Enjoy your ride and be safe!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I bought a beaded car seat at the auto parts zone about 8 years ago and cut it down to fit the V650 seat. It works really well for me on long long trips and provides plenty of ventilation. The price was under $20, if I remember correctly. I liked it so much I put it on the V1K when I bought it in 2019.

·
Premium Member
16,283 Posts
Tire repair kit and compressor...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
A small air compressor, it can save your ..... trip ;)
I used the rubber worms, I had to change the tire. Not satisfied.
I bought the Dyna plugs and I saved 2 tires, one mine and one of another biker I rescued on the highway ;)

·
Registered
2013 v650
269 Posts
Stop, get off and walk around a bit, drink. You will not believe how much you dehydrate while riding. Don't wait until you are thirsty. Short breaks go a long way to extend your riding day. Give someone your ride plan.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys
13 Posts
Keep yourself hydrated during the road trip. Make sure that you check your bike before heading on an adventure. Have fun, make sure you keep us posted with the great landmarks that you will come across.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Atlas Obscura is a great site to check for interesting things to see along the way as well.
But it's the worst thing in the world when you want to get somewhere on a schedule, and one of your riding buddies keeps pulling off-the-beaten path, re-route just a little bit, won't take long side trips out of his Iphone... :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
motowerk highway peg mount Highway Peg Mounts 27 mm
rivco pegs rivco pegs - Google Search
bluetooth speakers in your helmet so you can listen to some music, low volume of course
take a duffel bag and put it in front of your top box, pack it out to the front of your bike so you have a back rest, it really helps allow with your stretch breaks
3 leg folding chair with a back (if you don't get a chair with a back you will regret it at the end of the day) The GCI Outdoor Quik-E-Seat | Camping Seats from GCI Outdoor
stebel nautiluas compact horn, it wakes stupid people/drivers up
backoff xp brake signal light signaldynamics.com
radiator guard for those pebbles that want to put a hole in your radiator r&g radiator guard
powerlet.com sells wiring and outlets to charge your stuff while you ride

This stuff is on my wife's 2014 v650, I ride 2017 v1k same stuff on mine. We also used all of this stuff on 2 klr's traveling to central america and back twice for 3 months each time

1 - 20 of 45 Posts