Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, quick question here. I just bought my 2012 V last week, and a couple of times( especially after sitting a day or two)..... It will take me two or three times to get her to start.
It will turn over, then sound like she's gonna catch, but then not.
Anyone have this issue?
Perhaps I need to turn the idle up?
Thanks
BiGo

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
Mine does that. I just crack the throttle open alitte then hit the start button.Works everytime.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...Hmmm..... Is that a parrallel twin thing? My 08 GSXF never did that.
I figured with fuel injection, those days were gone!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Idle should be set at 1300 rpm. This resolves so many problems, it's mind-boggling. (You shouldn't have to touch the throttle.) If you miss on the first try I've found it's best to turn the key off and on again, to repressurize the injectors. There isn't much flywheel effect in this engine, which is one reason why correct idle speed is so important.

·
Registered
623 Posts
hmmmm, my 11' doesn't do that, starts every time, right off the bat, even after sitting a few days...

at the risk of a really stupid question... are you letting the fuel pump run until it stops before pressing the start button?

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
Idle should be set at 1300 rpm. This resolves so many problems, it's mind-boggling. (You shouldn't have to touch the throttle.) If you miss on the first try I've found it's best to turn the key off and on again, to repressurize the injectors. There isn't much flywheel effect in this engine, which is one reason why correct idle speed is so important.

Mine idles at 1100 need to take care of that...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes....I always let the fuel pump run before starting. And I hold the starter long enough to start. My bike is idling around 1000 rpm.... That must be it.
Thanks guys. Hopefully this takes care of it.
BiGo

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well Chalupa, that's awesome. Please chime back in this thread if boosting the idle helps. That way others can benefit as well!

enjoy!

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Well Chalupa, that's awesome. Please chime back in this thread if boosting the idle helps. That way others can benefit as well!

enjoy!
You're not boosting the idle... 1300 rpm (+/-50) is in fact proper idle speed as it should be set at once engine is warmed up, and not on fast idle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was having the very same issue.I started holding the starter button 1 second longer after the first firing and my problem was solved.It appears I was releasing the starter button to soon.

·
Premium Member
7,782 Posts
Mine is 09 and now its 2012. Starts at a touch of the switch. No problem at all and battery is still the original one since 09. Always keep battery charged up when not riding.

Kawa is know for its solid build and am surprise at your problem. Check your engine settings.

:goodluck:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts