Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Bought for cost and MCN recomendations and of course looks all for a work hack.
Yes it is budget but not if you compair to new car costs as you can get a small car for the price of one so it should be a lot less.

Anyway yes great for beginers as long as they are not short arses and a brilliant ride at little cost

·
Registered
281 Posts
What? I can't hang out here if I don't have a V?

Don't I get an alumni consideration or something?
:D
Don't ask me, I just work here! :joke:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I totally agree...this is not a bike I would recommend for beginners...its tall and quick, not an ideal combo for beginners. Maybe a 500 or Ninja 250 would be better to start on IMHO...
"Quick"... you can't be serious?

The power is adequate... just, imho

And that does not mean I do not think it
is an excellent machine for the price.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I find it interesting to read this thread. I recently bought an '09 Versys for my son (20 yr old) just because I thought it was a great beginner bike. The reason it is a good beginner bike is because of all the reasons that you guys mention.

• Great gas mileage
  • Good suspension; easy to handle
  • Good power but not overwhelming
  • Nice and even power band
  • Good looks in nice colors
  • Forgiving enough for a beginner but will grow with you as you gain experience
I think that last line says it all; my son loves his Versys and I don't see him upgrading anytime soon, not like with a Ninja 250 or an EX500 which you can grow out of in 6 months.

=Laserjock=
(y)

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
The 650 Versys can run the quarter mile in 12.96 seconds, at 99.15 mph. Might not sound exciting, but I was among the "early" motorcycle drag racers, and I CAN remember how difficult it was to turn 112 in 12.75 seconds back in '65, testing my dragster engine in a stock Triumph frame, but running alcohol.

We tend to become 'bored' w/ the technology that we have, ALMOST FREE!

·
Registered
178 Posts
The 650 Versys can run the quarter mile in 12.96 seconds, at 99.15 mph. Might not sound exciting, but I was among the "early" motorcycle drag racers, and I CAN remember how difficult it was to turn 112 in 12.75 seconds back in '65, testing my dragster engine in a stock Triumph frame, but running alcohol.

We tend to become 'bored' w/ the technology that we have, ALMOST FREE!
That's what I mean Eddie!

Your Triumph was 13mph quicker than a
Versys... down the 1/4 mile.

And 13mph more down a quarter mile
is substantial to the tune of about 6 bike lengths.

And that was with a machine that was from more than
half a century ago... a 650 Bonnie I guess.

Gotta say, the first time I saw a Bonneville I was entranced.
Gorgeous in a gothic lookin' way.

Photo shamelessly lifted off the net:

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
Your Triumph was 13mph quicker than a Versys... down the 1/4 mile. And 13mph more down a quarter mile
is substantial to the tune of about 6 bike lengths. And that was with a machine that was from more than
half a century ago... a 650 Bonnie I guess....
Yes it was! The engine was WAY-Y-Y beyond a Bonneville, and 'running FUEL' [even IF ONLY alcohol]. It had 12 to 1 compression, VERY radical Harmon & Collins 'roller' cams, 1.5" Wal Philips 'Injectors', and based on the THUNDERBIRD 650.

Here's a pic of that engine in the T'bird running gear,

Quasimodo2 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and while being 'built'

Quasimodo4 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and I USUALLY ran at Shepherds Field Dragstrip in Calgary, AB, at about 3,500'ASL.

GOOD fun, 'specially when you're 'young-and-stupid'....

:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes it was! The engine was WAY-Y-Y beyond a Bonneville, and 'running FUEL' [even IF ONLY alcohol]. It had 12 to 1 compression, VERY radical Harmon & Collins 'roller' cams, 1.5" Wal Philips 'Injectors', and based on the THUNDERBIRD 650.

Here's a pic of that engine in the T'bird running gear,

Quasimodo2 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and while being 'built'

Quasimodo4 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and I USUALLY ran at Shepherds Field Dragstrip in Calgary, AB, at about 3,500'ASL.

GOOD fun, 'specially when you're 'young-and-stupid'....

:)
Sensational! That looks like one of those super sexy Akront wheels.

Back (in the mists of time) when I was at secondary school one of
the boys had an Ossa Stiletto with Akront wheels.

It's funny the things that engrave themselves onto ones memory.

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
On the dragbike the front wheel was an alloy Yamaha TD1-B w/ twin-leading shoe brakes - state-of-the-art back in the mid-sixties.

·
Registered
341 Posts
first thing I noticed was high flange Akront wheels just like my Bultaco's used to have

·
Registered
23 Posts
Beginner bike 🤣 This rider has 50 yrs in the saddle. My last 2 bikes were 4 cylinder liter or better, V65 Sabre (1100) and K100RS (1000). Enjoyed them both very much. I wanted something lighter and easier to handle, enough performance to be fun to run around on town or out of town on, and didn’t want to break the bank doing it. I opted for the Vx300 and couldn’t be happier with my choice. Spinning up that motor puts a big smile on my face and I can get the thrill while staying within reasonable legal limits. My first Kawasaki, it has exceeded my expectations. It’s a solid bike when pushed to its limits. It’s a joy to ride and easy to handle. I’ve just half a season on it, freeway commuting, surface streets, and dirt roads mostly. Truly the most versatile bike I’ve ridden. I look forward to putting some new rubber on it over the off season and do some off road exploring with it too. I don’t miss my “expert rider” bikes one bit.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Beginner bike 🤣 This rider has 50 yrs in the saddle. My last 2 bikes were 4 cylinder liter or better, V65 Sabre (1100) and K100RS (1000). Enjoyed them both very much. I wanted something lighter and easier to handle, enough performance to be fun to run around on town or out of town on, and didn’t want to break the bank doing it. I opted for the Vx300 and couldn’t be happier with my choice. Spinning up that motor puts a big smile on my face and I can get the thrill while staying within reasonable legal limits. My first Kawasaki, it has exceeded my expectations. It’s a solid bike when pushed to its limits. It’s a joy to ride and easy to handle. I’ve just half a season on it, freeway commuting, surface streets, and dirt roads mostly. Truly the most versatile bike I’ve ridden. I look forward to putting some new rubber on it over the off season and do some off road exploring with it too. I don’t miss my “expert rider” bikes one bit.
(y)

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
first thing I noticed was high flange Akront wheels just like my Bultaco's used to have
Back then I know that the "dirt" guys didn't like those rims, as they would "mud-up" very quickly. However - on a street-bike (or dragster) they looked GREAT, and were LIGHT! Here's another "gratuitous" pic of the drag-bike....:cool:

*WildThing4 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

along w/ some "skinny" Dude, holding a 'poor-mans' version of something painted like Von Dutch MIGHT'VE done...!

;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have had all the above comments and more,thats why I call my bike the 50 stepthrough.that stops all comments.My mates all ride diferent bikes and we all agree we all ride the best bike in the world.

Happy riding

·
Registered
635 Posts
You have to love the bike you're riding. The whole package including the looks. When I got back into motorcycling I knew what I wanted after owning a couple of bikes over a few decades. A twin (my taste), dependable (very important, like Japanese), 750ish(enough power for me), Sporty-bike capable via small wheels and short wheelbase for nimbleness (twisties on obscure pavement), up-rightish riding triangle, (handlebars not clip-ons), hard cases for touring, nice looking design and an ability to ride gravel. Like someone else said, money wasn't a factor. No nonsense engineering, bombproof engine that punches above its weight. Not a sport bike style, not a cruiser style but somewhere in between. I came up with 2015 Versys 650, the all rounder. Have to say I loved the look as well, that's important as long as the bike delivers. So 72,000 K later, all pleasure driving and modded to my tastes, no repairs other than maintenance, a price less than the others...what's not to like? The only thing that's a chore is always being aware that its a tall bike at 5 foot 8 but you get used to it.

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
41 - 60 of 63 Posts