Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take exception to "beginner" & "budget" in Versys description.

Every road test article I have read emphasize beginner and budget bike. These descriptions are serious disservice to potential buyers as well as dealers. Kawasaki is actually slightly ahead of the curve on real world ergonomics that appeal to all levels of riders. And the sweet power delivery and effortless handling meets needs of all experience levels.

If we knew the facts, I would guess that most Versys owners are actually more rather than less experienced.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bike press is always off.... I've ridden since 1975 and LOVE my Versys! I don't give a crap what the press says. The ONLY good thing about having tons of Versys on the street is the fact cool accessories and performance parts get developed!

I like being unique and when I see another Versys, I seek out that rider! I think it is cool to be outside the lines...

Shaun

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've by no means read them all, but I've read a few tests and I don't recall any of them emphasizing the V is a "beginner" bike. "Budget" yes, but not beginner.

Heck it is IMO perhaps the best value in all of the street bikes available when it comes to what you get for the money (but I am biased:thumb:). Bike Magazine (June 2010, I believe) wrote that on the stopwatch the V was as quick as a GSXR 600 around a tight racecourse, beats a R6 from 60 mph to 90 mph in roll on tests, has more of a "hooligan" spirit than the Tiger, and because of it's roomy ergonomics, large gas tank, and good mpg, it is a better touring platform than many purpose built touring bikes. :topsecret: They mention you get all that for a low buy in cost making it a tremendous value, but never say anything about it making a good beginner bike.

I, personally, would never recommend that a beginning rider start out on a big/tall bike like the V...I think "beginner" bikes are more like a 250/500 Ninja, Suzuki C40 or GS 500, Virago 250, Rebel 250...even the HD 883 (or 650 Star, etc) might make a better bike to learn on because of it's lower seat height and smaller stature (even though it is heavier).

Reactions: Beezerboy

·
Registered
3 Posts
I find it interesting to read this thread. I recently bought an '09 Versys for my son (20 yr old) just because I thought it was a great beginner bike. The reason it is a good beginner bike is because of all the reasons that you guys mention.

* Great gas mileage
* Good suspension; easy to handle
* Good power but not overwhelming
* Nice and even power band
* Good looks in nice colors
* Forgiving enough for a beginner but will grow with you as you gain experience

I think that last line says it all; my son loves his Versys and I don't see him upgrading anytime soon, not like with a Ninja 250 or an EX500 which you can grow out of in 6 months.

=Laserjock=

·
Registered
754 Posts
I totally agree...this is not a bike I would recommend for beginners...its tall and quick, not an ideal combo for beginners. Maybe a 500 or Ninja 250 would be better to start on IMHO...

·
Registered
842 Posts
I, personally, would never recommend that a beginning rider start out on a big/tall bike like the V...I think "beginner" bikes are more like a 250/500 Ninja, Suzuki C40 or GS 500, Virago 250, Rebel 250...even the HD 883 (or 650 Star, etc) might make a better bike to learn on because of it's lower seat height and smaller stature (even though it is heavier).
I got it as a beginner bike because (a) I am a big guy and (b) several people said I would get too bored with a 250.

After using them in my first course i am glad I waited and bought the V.

I am about to do an advanced riders course this weekend on the V with RoadCraft Motorcycle Academy

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I can afford almost any bike made. I bought the Versys because I liked the way it fit and it was lightweight. I don't race and dont want any tickets so even a 250 would have fit my needs speed wise.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I cared what the press wrote as I was deciding on my Versys, for information's sake (not opinions like whether it is a beginner bike or is the wrong color).

Now that I have my Versys, I don't care what they write about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I see your point. I'm looking to buy a bike, and whenever I hear that a bike is looked at as beginner bike, it takes some points away. I don't want to ride something that is tuned down, easy to ride slow and hard to ride fast. That is why these forums are so useful. With your help, I convinced I'm getting a Versys. Now I just need to find the right one. I'm not choosing the bike for the price, it just helps a lot. If price wasn't an object I would probably be looking into a Multistrada or new Tiger 800. Gas mileage has a lot to do with it too. I can't own a bike that gets worse mileage than my little toyota (as did my last bike, '01 bandit 1200 with pod filters and slip-on).

·
Registered
352 Posts
We live in a world where everything needs to fit in a category to be explainable. I LOVE MY CHEAP/BEGINNER BIKE known to the world as the VERSYS. It's as capable as any expensive/experienced rider motorcycle. Even though I wish I was a little younger, taller and better looking, my Versys doesn't make me feel cheap or inexperienced...just smart and satisfied and that makes me happy:D.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
How exactly is the Versys a beginner bike? The only #'s I could find for it for 1/4 mile times is 12.9 seconds. For a comparison a Corvette does the 1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds. Would you ever consider the Vette to be a good beginner car?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
We live in a world where everything needs to fit in a category to be explainable. I LOVE MY CHEAP/BEGINNER BIKE known to the world as the VERSYS. It's as capable as any expensive/experienced rider motorcycle. Even though I wish I was a little younger, taller and better looking, my Versys doesn't make me feel cheap or inexperienced...just smart and satisfied and that makes me happy:D.
+1
IMHO, based on a general observation of rider types that have joined here as owners, I would say the majority are experienced riders, having owned several bikes in their riding career. They chose the bike for what it is and what it does based on their riding experience and for the type of riding they intend to do. And generally they are satisfied with what they got. This has been my experience.

I think the bigginer bike thing comes from the fact that it is pretty lightweight, is easy to manuever, and it's not a super power-house like a liter sportbike. It is capable enough though to really get a noob into trouble if they don't pay attention. It's not a slow bike, but it doesn't jerk your arms out of their sockets either.

I think Kawasaki hit a homerun the first time around on this one.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts