Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this would be easy to find, but not having much luck. All I seem to find is the SW Moto tail rack that looks like it fits, but a little pricey at $145 - - and you would still need to come up with some type of larger top plate to attach to it for a larger support area.. Are there any GOOD alternative racks? I intend to use it almost exclusively to carry a Moto Fizz medium soft bag which is a pretty good size bag, and IMO would need more lateral support if you mount it sideways as I prefer. I'm not a "fabricator" nor a mechanical guru so I'm pretty much limited to what you can buy off the shelf. Quality is important to me so any recommendations and sources would be greatly appreciated. TIA. :thanx:

·
Registered
13 Posts
revs performance out of alanta i think ihave one looks great but it has a tube like butt rest on it that takes away capacity

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I thought this would be easy to find, but not having much luck. All I seem to find is the SW Moto tail rack that looks like it fits, but a little pricey at $145 - - and you would still need to come up with some type of larger top plate to attach to it for a larger support area..
I like the look of the SW Moteck Alu-rack. For soft luggage, you could use this plate:

It clicks onto the top of the Alu-rack in seconds (just three quarter turn clicks). When you dont have luggage, remove and your bike will still look good without the plate!

I like the Givi setup as well but I personally think the Givi looks a little weird with no trunk mounted.. Just my $.02.

If you have been around motorcycles very long, everything that is well built and looks good cost some $. Let us know what you do!

:goodluck:

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
www.sporttour.com fantastic prices service and fast delivery. And the givi rack looks great and holds a load. i've had my E-55 stuffed like a turkey before.

[

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
with a tailbag

[

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Captain as noted I found the rack previously and I think it looks awesome, but was unaware they made the quick release plate to fit it. Guess I could save a few bucks and have someone fab a reasonable facsimile, but no way it would ever look as good as the MoTech plate and be as easy to take off and on. By the time I paid someone to design and fab one I would likely have more $$$ sunk into it than the $55 MoTech plate. Guess I'll just have to swallow my pride and fork over the $200 . Quality does cost. BTW how did the intallation go? Just a simple bolt on ? I'm not exactly the Einstein mechanical type. Thanks

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Thanks Captain as noted I found the rack previously and I think it looks awesome, but was unaware they made the quick release plate to fit it. Guess I could save a few bucks and have someone fab a reasonable facsimile, but no way it would ever look as good as the MoTech plate and be as easy to take off and on. By the time I paid someone to design and fab one I would likely have more $$$ sunk into it than the $55 MoTech plate. Guess I'll just have to swallow my pride and fork over the $200 . Quality does cost. BTW how did the intallation go? Just a simple bolt on ? I'm not exactly the Einstein mechanical type. Thanks
Your welcome!

I have not installed mine yet. Because I have the 2010, I had to wait a few months to get it from Twisted Throttle. They received the container from Germany late this week and said it should be shipping any day (I ordered on may 23rd). I ordered the 2010 SW-Motech Alu Rack and Givi Monokey adapter so I can use the Givi46NT I purchased from sporttour.com.

I am thinking about also purchasing the the rack for soft luggage I posted above in case I want to haul other things besides the trunk. Looks like it would be handy if I knew I would be needing a place to strap down a box, cooler, or other luggage.

Should be a very easy install. You basically take off the seat, take off the grab rails (4 bolts) and replace with the new grab rails & rack. Click seat back in place. Here are the instructions for the 2010, cant imagine the 2008 being much different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts