Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You bet. Live bout 30 miles away. Rode it couple days ago after work. A real hoot when the crazies aren't on it. Everyone needs to ride it a couple of times when it's not crowded.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts

The Mae Hong Son 1000 corners ride. Total distance 600km and 1186 turns through mountains. Purposely build by the Thai army to combat the war on Drugs during the 70's and now its open as public road.

·
Registered
807 Posts
You bet. Live bout 30 miles away. Rode it couple days ago after work. A real hoot when the crazies aren't on it. Everyone needs to ride it a couple of times when it's not crowded.
I happened to catch a way above normal heat wave in that area a couple of years ago. Highs in the 60-75* range for almost a week. This was in late February. The road was deserted. The Dragon store(and others) were not even open yet. I tent camped at an USFS site that had power and showers. I did bring along the space heater and an extension cord as the mornings were a bit brisk for this FLA wimp.

I rode the Dragon and the Cherohala twice, along with a bunch of the other fun stuff up there.

I'll be up there again in April for almost a week, staying either at Kickstands or Suches.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
The first time I rode the dragon I didn’t know I was on the dragon. It was just another narrow mountain road to me. Then I stopped at deals gap and realized what I had just ridden. On the way back west I had to keep telling myself to not look at all the skid marks heading off the road. Didn’t even notice them when I didn’t know it was the infamous ‘tail of the dragon ‘. lol.

I will ride it when it is the best way to get where I want to go, but not during tourist times.

I have found the best time is after the commuters, but before the sport bike wannabe racers wake up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it can really be unpleasant sometimes during peak crazy season. I am able to pick and choose when I want to ride it. Best time during busy season is weekdays later in the evening. I ride it mostly after getting off from work

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rode it twice after work today once east then back west.Home bout 7pm. Virtually deserted. Crazy season for right now is still only weekends but soon to change. It was great. Rode my own pace without worrying about any traffic. Was able to enjoy the road and the scenery

1 - 8 of 8 Posts