Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a tail bag (NOT a top box please).

Would like to hear from you if you have one> likes, dislikes, waterproof, does it stay securely fastened and does it carry as much as you hoped for? etc

Photos would be nice too. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have and use the same bag. It is easy to attach to the bike, difficult to swing your leg over, especially when dismounting. It came with a water resistant cover. Doing the "step through" technique will keep your boot from hitting the bag (put left foot on peg first, then step through).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use the same bag on my rear rack. It will last you a long, long time. I've had mine for 5 years and I bought it used, it's atleast 7 years old. I never take it off the bike, so it sees 15-24k a year. It even went sliding down the highway and while it now has a few holes in it and one of the expansion zippers is fried, I still use it. It comes with a waterproof cover that works well enough.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

Bags Connection 40L Dry Bag. About $100. Roll top design, completely waterproof, and very large. Has 4 tie down straps that clip to the bag, very secure for riding.

Waterproof:

Secure to the bike:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've been using a Slipstream tail bag that I picked up for Twisted Throttle back in December. Their new model is a bit different... but serves the same purpose.
It has a couple of external "pockets" that are handy for small things like my stash of foam earplugs in a ziplock... a pen and pad, etc..
It isn't waterPROOF... although it take a good bit of downpour before you have to really worry. It comes with a waterproof liner that I haven't used.
I don't use it on my trips... just my around town stuff. For my trips I have a large Overboard Roll Top Waterproof Duffel that I strap to my pillion... and leave the Slipstream at home.
I'm happy with my Slipstream. I use it for my day-to-day stuff. You can't do a weeks worth of grocery shopping but it certainly meets my daily needs and I've gotten more in there at times than I though I could... but most days it's just a place to store my hat when I'm on the bike and my gloves when I'm off it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
What a timely topic! I just bought a Saddleman tunnel bag a couple weeks ago and I love it. There is a thread in here somewhere with pics from another member. Just search Saddleman tail bag and it should come up... I bought the Saddleman bag to replace my 5 year old Cortech bag like the guys above have. The Cortech bag was nice. I could expand it and I was always amazed at how many groceries I could actually stuff into it. However, it sun fades badly and goes from black to some shade of gray after one year. Then the main compartment zipper broke from both sides after 4 years. I suppose if you maintain it a little more than I did (like lube the zipper or put some armor all on it) it could last longer. However, I really like the look of my new saddleman bag. The price is about the same too. Volume wise the Cortech may fit a little more, but the Saddleman bag looks much cooler.

Edit: I got mine at Revzilla "http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/saddlemen-sport-tunnel-bag" it's the sport version not like the big mama on Weljo's bike.

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies, I will take some time to read them, short on time now.

One thing I should have clarified: I have 2 dry bags to chose from for long hauls, I'm looking for a day trip/weekend/commute type bag. Thanks again! Keep 'em coming.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts