Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

this is my third post - ive had my Versys for about two months now and i already have a problem...

My tacho is acting weird and is showing random RPMs. Sometimes it shows the right data, but most of the time it oscillates and is doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2zck0O9Vj-w

I tried to disassemble the bike to check for any loose wires etc. but couldn't find any source of problem (visible). I took the tacho apart and saw no problem.

Any idea what might be the problem?

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
The engine doesn't sound too good, almost like it's running on just one cylinder... How many kilometers are on it, and has any maintenance been done? Have you checked your spark plugs and ignition coils, valve clearances and throttle body vacuum synch? Check also if you pinched any crankshaft sensor wire down on the right when you installed your crash bars. Your subthrottle servo motor is also acting strangely when you turn ignition on.

·
Super Moderator
1,485 Posts
poor versys.
you should just buy a 2015 model :)

something is definitely wrong with your cluster.

have you looked for kinks and bad bends in the wiring around the steering as the wiring gets clamped to the side of the steering head buy wire guides.

did you check for rubbing and exposed cables that is the protextive black wrap is chaffed.
You have a Mk1, and should be the same, the wiring comes down the LHS of steering and LHS top rail under tank, then makes a 90 deg turn under the rear tank support then another 90 deg turn down the RHS mid section and then back to the ECU.

Potential chaff points are steering neck, and both 90 bends under the rear tank support - the support has sharp edges.
another point is where the wiring goes under the mid section frame cross bar at back of battery and into the rear under seat area.

I would be also pulling the ECU and re-seating the harness a few times... i don't know if it is easier on a Mk1, but on a Mk2 you have to rip the whole back end apart and remove the rear under tray to get that damn ECU out! No way you can just get in there and unclip the harness... it must be freed!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The engine doesn't sound too good, almost like it's running on just one cylinder... How many kilometers are on it, and has any maintenance been done? Have you checked your spark plugs and ignition coils, valve clearances and throttle body vacuum synch? Check also if you pinched any crankshaft sensor wire down on the right when you installed your crash bars. Your subthrottle servo motor is also acting strangely when you turn ignition on.
I didn't notice anything wrong with the engine - but this is my first bike and i have no comparison. It has 40.000 km and i didn't do any maintenance after buying it (other than installing the crash bars).

I've been riding it like this for about a week...

I guess i will get the bike checked by professionals...

you should just buy a 2015 model
I would if i had the money for it :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Your subthrottle servo motor is also acting strangely when you turn ignition on.
Agree with invader on this I think you have other problems which may be more important than just the tach acting up. Not quite sure where to start perhaps start with the battery condition and then move on to fuses, damaged wiring.
Also like invader said it sounds like the motor isn't right perhaps the valves need checking. I'm thinking sell it and get something else?

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Start by checking everything yourself, since you can't tell if any maintenance was ever done.... Did you install the crashbars you said you were ordering? Check your crankshaft sensor wires down on the right, and make sure they're not pinched or damaged. Inspect main wire harness from the ignition switch and at the instrument cluster, and your chassis grounds. Remove your spark plugs to inspect them and your coils, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts