Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just ordered this set of guards. I'm excited to get them on. How was the install?
Install of the engine guards is really straightforward and easy.

I've installed a set of T-Rex engine guards on both of my Versys 650s. I watched a YouTube video of the install and read the supplied instructions for the first install.

I didn't bother the 2nd time to read the instructions or watch the YT video again, some 5 months latter when I was over seas with my other Versys, as the installation is so simple and intuitive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just ordered this set of guards. I'm excited to get them on. How was the install?
Install of the engine guards is really straightforward and easy.

I've installed a set of T-Rex engine guards on both of my Versys 650s. I watched a YouTube video of the install and read the supplied instructions for the first install.

I didn't bother the 2nd time to read the instructions or watch the YT video again, some 5 months latter when I was over seas with my other Versys, as the installation is so simple and intuitive.
Awesome. I’m pretty excited to get these. I asked if they had a military discount (they don’t) but since I spent more than $200, they threw in a free t shirt!

Seems like a good responsive company. Hopefully their quality is up to snuff!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Awesome. I’m pretty excited to get these. I asked if they had a military discount (they don’t) but since I spent more than $200, they threw in a free t shirt!

Seems like a good responsive company. Hopefully their quality is up to snuff!
I have their engine guards and skid plate on my Van Van 200. Awesome product and the replaceable pavement contact point is a nice feature so you don't end up with scuffed up bars in a tip over.

I've had Givi, SW-Motech, and other brands on various bikes. I really like the quality of the T-Rex Racing product.

I will say though that I also consider the look when it comes to tip over bars because I am mostly mounting them to accommodate extra lighting, highway pegs, etc., and tip over protection is secondary with hopes of never needing it.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
I have their engine guards and skid plate on my Van Van 200. Awesome product and the replaceable pavement contact point is a nice feature so you don't end up with scuffed up bars in a tip over....
When I've "scuffed" mine, I use some electricians tape to camouflage the damage.

P6272420 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC05404 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got them installed last night. They seem pretty well made. There are a couple welds on the luggage guard that seem a little funky. I’m no awesome welder, so I’m hoping some of you guys can evaluate these. I sure don’t think they are bad, but I think I would have hit these again if I were welding something.
Otherwise, their customer service is pretty good, though they forgot my shirt. The bars were easy to install and fit very well. Like others have said, the instructions aren’t great, I didn’t have any for the luggage guard but they are simple enough and they do have videos if you need them. The trick is to keep everything loose like they say to until it’s all attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate for this to be my first post but... Stay far away from T-Rex Racing! I ordered the engine and luggage guards from them off of Amazon. I only received the engine guards so I called them up to inquire if there was a delay of some sort on the luggage bars. They said the order was for only engine guards so I went back to the Amazon page and the description clearly stated luggage and engine and I sent them the screen shot. The next day I get an e-mail back saying that it was a "typo" and that they would not be sending the luggage guards. The price that I was charged on Amazon was higher than their website for just the engine guards and they wouldn't even credit that difference. If I hadn't already had the engine guards installed on the bike I would be sending the bars back and telling them to get stuffed. I've been back and forth with them for four days now. They are very rude on the phone and only slightly less so in their e-mails. The bars that I did get did have to be adjusted so that the connecting ends aligned properly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just dealt with them on the condition of the welds on my luggage bars I commented above on. I talked to Duke and they sent me new bars. Long story short the welds looked similar to my other ones already installed. I sent the replacement ones back. Duke seemed very professional and customer oriented throughout the whole process. They are a day or two out when responding to emails but for the lengthy ordeal I had with them, they did right.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can say from personal experience that the T-Rex engine guards on my 2009 Versys did their job very well when I went down at 70-75 Mph. The bike slid on the plastic puck on the side and I lost a 6 dollar blinker in the wreck. That was it other than some road rash on my tusk panniers. The pannier on the right side of the bike is all scratched up, but still attached to the bike and still functional.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts