Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

T-Rex Engine and Luggage Guards, 2017 650LT

10K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  notyou83 
#1 ·
This week I installed T-Rex engine and luggage guards. I wasn't too sure if they would protect the front indicators or the side cases. So.....to test it I "gently" laid my bike down to check. See the results below. I am pretty impressed by the design and the quality of these. Can't wait till the make a center stand!

See less See more
#5 ·
Agreed, I don't plan on taking them off unless i am stopping while on a trip for the night.

#6 ·
Luggage bars Work!`

Well, I found out that the luggage bars work. I am not used to how wide these cases are yet. I was leaving my house and clipped my car. :frown2: Almost took the rear bumper off the car but no damage to the Versys, HA

Reactions: Fastoman and kardan
#8 ·
Well, I emailed T-Rex to inquire about the crash bar redesign and this is the reply I got :

"The reason for the redesign was because we were receiving requests to add the top cross bar so that customers can mount additional lights to it. Although the additional crossbar does add extra strength to it, it was not the reason behind the redesign. The older design is still strong enough to protect your bike and there is not any issue that you should be concerned about."

#12 ·
Oh man. I ordered the DM lights and thinking about returning them. I can not figure out how to install them. Versys 650 is my 1st bike (a month of ownership now) and I know nothing about wiring.

Would you be able to take few pictures on how you have the wiring all connected and setup? I just came to realize that Kawasaki have wiring configured at the front of the bike but denali DMs still need to be routed back to under the seat to hook directly to the battery, right?

My bike is 2017 and came with DC power adapter, so I think the front connections are used up? I'm so confused and frustrated to say the least. Would appreciate any help I can get.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I'm looking into buying this set of engine/luggage guards as well. Anyone know if they work with the motowerks highway peg mounts?

I'll also be installing LED aux lights at some point so if they're compatible with those that would be great. I'm good at wiring so if the factory setup doesn't work I can create something on my own.

#18 ·
Which style of peg mounts?

His new 27mm version

The engine mount version?

#21 ·
Install of the engine guards is really straightforward and easy.

I've installed a set of T-Rex engine guards on both of my Versys 650s. I watched a YouTube video of the install and read the supplied instructions for the first install.

I didn't bother the 2nd time to read the instructions or watch the YT video again, some 5 months latter when I was over seas with my other Versys, as the installation is so simple and intuitive.

#25 ·
Got them installed last night. They seem pretty well made. There are a couple welds on the luggage guard that seem a little funky. I’m no awesome welder, so I’m hoping some of you guys can evaluate these. I sure don’t think they are bad, but I think I would have hit these again if I were welding something.
Otherwise, their customer service is pretty good, though they forgot my shirt. The bars were easy to install and fit very well. Like others have said, the instructions aren’t great, I didn’t have any for the luggage guard but they are simple enough and they do have videos if you need them. The trick is to keep everything loose like they say to until it’s all attached.

Attachments

#29 ·
I hate for this to be my first post but... Stay far away from T-Rex Racing! I ordered the engine and luggage guards from them off of Amazon. I only received the engine guards so I called them up to inquire if there was a delay of some sort on the luggage bars. They said the order was for only engine guards so I went back to the Amazon page and the description clearly stated luggage and engine and I sent them the screen shot. The next day I get an e-mail back saying that it was a "typo" and that they would not be sending the luggage guards. The price that I was charged on Amazon was higher than their website for just the engine guards and they wouldn't even credit that difference. If I hadn't already had the engine guards installed on the bike I would be sending the bars back and telling them to get stuffed. I've been back and forth with them for four days now. They are very rude on the phone and only slightly less so in their e-mails. The bars that I did get did have to be adjusted so that the connecting ends aligned properly.

#31 ·
I just dealt with them on the condition of the welds on my luggage bars I commented above on. I talked to Duke and they sent me new bars. Long story short the welds looked similar to my other ones already installed. I sent the replacement ones back. Duke seemed very professional and customer oriented throughout the whole process. They are a day or two out when responding to emails but for the lengthy ordeal I had with them, they did right.

#32 ·
I can say from personal experience that the T-Rex engine guards on my 2009 Versys did their job very well when I went down at 70-75 Mph. The bike slid on the plastic puck on the side and I lost a 6 dollar blinker in the wreck. That was it other than some road rash on my tusk panniers. The pannier on the right side of the bike is all scratched up, but still attached to the bike and still functional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.