Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I run it in my V-Strom 1000 without any problems but have noticed a little clutch slipping on the Versys 300 once I switched. Not sure if it is related or just needs adjusting yet. I will give the service guy a call tomorrow. It slipped when I hit the throttle hard in higher gears.

Update: I just read it should just be the adjustment and should be unrelated to the oil. It said the Ninja's sometimes come poorly adjusted like that. I also had not been revving it much until I had over 1000 miles on it. I will adjust it first and see how she goes tomorrow.

Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
FWIW...I am running regular 15w40 Shell Rotella as of my 600 mile change. I plan to change it and the filter at 3750 miles and will be using Shell Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rotella synthetic seems to be about the most popular motorcycle oil used I keep reading on the forums.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It does the deed for me......been running the 15w40 for as long as I can remember and the 5w40 synthetic when I catch it on sale. I would guess that most oil related failures are from lack of oil----not the oil itself.

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
I've been using Mobil1 15w-50 since '08 on all three of my V 650s, w/ 5,000 mile oil-change intervals.

Works fine for ME!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you plan on going the full manufacturer recommended interval I would go straight to Synthetic. I use Mobile 1 4T (select viscosity based on your local climate). Works great. Some folks hasten the 2nd change after the break-in change and then go to the full interval. If you only plan on 2500 miles or less I would not waste the pricier synthetic. Synthetic effectively extends the change interval mainly. ;-)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would just go synthetic right away.

In the old days they said to wait in automotive engines until it had fully broken in before going to synthetic. The synthetic prevents wear better than dino oil, and breaking means wearing in. It used to take thousands of miles for a car engine to break in. But these days the manufacturing tolerances are much better than 40+ years ago, so there really isn't a need to wear in for many thousands of miles. And even all of that may have been hogwash back then, with no real need to wait to go synthetic.

Air cooled may be a different story possibly. But the Versys family is liquid cooled.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I run 10w-40 Amsoil Metric Motorcycle oil on all my bikes. Concours 1400, KLR685, the Versys and even my old air-cooled KZ1100R. No problems. :cool:

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Dealer put motul full syn, i notice i get slipping in the clutch while starting to move in first..
Are you sure you have the clutch cable adjusted properly, because if it is slipping in first, wait until you are in 6th gear, you won't have a clutch. I run mobil 1 15/50 , absolutely no problems in my Versys 650.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've ridden Kawasaki 650 motor cycles since they first came out.. just used normal motor oil 10 40 and have never had any issue with it.
I change oil when it looks dirty in the oil level glass..
I don't go by mileage..
When wet clutches were introduced there were no special oils.. the were actually built to be used with normal motor oils.
Oil has seemed to become a religion.. with only faith and no proof..
I agree new oils are an improvement.. but I flush out my oil as soon as it gets contaminated with engine hydrocarbons..
I wan't clean lube on all my bearing and ring surfaces.. the clutch works fine with all oils and I can adjust it for slippage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Run Mobil one in both our X300s, no issues, engine feels smoother, gear change feels better. 3000 miles so far.

·
Registered
842 Posts
A motor head friend of mine that lives near Ottawa did some oil analysis comparisons between 15w40 dino Rotella and their t6 5w40. There was more viscosity breakdown with the t6 than the dino oil, actually an alarming amount. He had sent me the documentation but I guess I've lost it with a computer switch.

The new 15w40 t6 may be better in that regard, at least that would be my thinking.

All that said I've used Rotella in one form or another for the last 12-13 years. I sold the Connie with 234k miles on it and the 650 VS now has 72 on it.

Aren't oil threads fun?

Reactions: whisperquiet
1 - 18 of 18 Posts