Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have about 3500 miles on my '09 and want to switch to synthetic oil now...Is it as simple as a regular oil change and just using synthetic instead? Of course I will also replace the filter too.....Not trying to open a can of worms, but anyone have a good synthetic to recommend for the Versys? Thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It's a can of worms for sure! You'll find as many opinions as there are oils.

I'm planning on using Rotella 15W40 when I switch to synthetic next spring.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I finally have about 3500 miles on my '09 and want to switch to synthetic oil now...Is it as simple as a regular oil change and just using synthetic instead? Of course I will also replace the filter too.....Not trying to open a can of worms, but anyone have a good synthetic to recommend for the Versys? Thanks.
Exactly the same. The only difference is the bottle says synthetic & your pocket book is a little thinner...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Looks like I'll be stopping off at the stealership for oil and filter on the way home.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone know of a one stop shop for oil and a filter besides the dealership? I think I remember someone saying WalMart might have this stuff? I know my local AutoZone doesn't.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For me , a benifit of synthetic was much smoother shifting. I have been using the Kawasaki 10w 40 for @ 18000 miles now and would not go back to dino , just for that benifit alone. Much less clunky in the lower gears..

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
for my last oil change I went to advance auto and got mobile 1 synth. for 4 stroke motorcycles and the purolator pure 1 filter #pl14610

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Anyone know of a one stop shop for oil and a filter besides the dealership? I think I remember someone saying WalMart might have this stuff? I know my local AutoZone doesn't.
Walmart. I buy Mobil1 (car) 15w-50 (Red top) oil and their filters for MY V.

Ed :cheers:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Purolator oil filter

I did an oil change today. I picked up a Purolator oil filter from Advanced Auto for about $7.00 And some Mobil 10w40 Syn for about $10.00 Qt. The filter is a little bit longer but no problem with fit. Have not had a chance to see how the Syn. does on the shifting. It's got to be better. Purolator part # PL14610

·
Registered
43 Posts
A lot of information warns against using automotive oil in your motorcycle since most contain certain friction modifiers that could cause wet clutch slippage over time. The diesel oils like Rotella don't contain these modifiers, so they should be fine. I use Mobil 1 Motorcycle 10w40 synthetic, but have considered switching to the Rotella 5w30. I have also considered using an automotive oil filter, but haven't because none of the manufacturers advertise flow rates. They are probably fine, and the Pure One will probably filter finer particles, but the Kawasaki OEM filter has a depth-type media instead of paper that appears will have better flow properties (but again, no data). For now, I'm sticking with OEM, but otherwise haven't heard any bad news out of using the automotive filters. One good website on the topic is http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html but again, they don't test flow rates on filters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts