Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon as I get the chance I'm installing a newly acquired shock for my "08" V. I have about 55,000 miles on it so far. I'm also going to remove the swingarm and clean and re-grease the bearings. It looks pretty straight forward, but i'll take any advice from anyone who has done this job.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just did it last week-end. It is pretty straightforward. I found
this(click) discussion on the UK site helpful, with good pictures and discussion about the weird hard packing grease in the needle bearings. I think if I was at your mileage I'd bite the bullet and replace the bearings, though.

·
Registered
687 Posts
It is a simple job. I used a piece of 2 x 4 through the rear trellis, resting on jack stands, to get the weight off the swingarm. There are needle bearings in the swingarm pivot, as well as a sealed bearing on the right hand side at the shock mounting point. The sealed bearing on my bike was seized up, I had to replace it. Might want to check that. IIRC there's some interference with the lower shock mounting bolts and the trellis, so I had to remove the upper bolt first to drop the wheel a bit to get at the lower bolt. I guess you'll be doing that anyway since you're changing shocks. Are you doing the R1 conversion?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installing an Elka purchaced from another inmate. I prolly using a weight benchpress rack and barbell through the trellis. I have my fingers crossed on the condition of the bearings, but I'm prepared to replace what is nessessary to make it right. Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, the weight bench plan fell through. Instead I found the barbell through the trellis, supported by two portable/collapsible sawhorses works great. The long supporting surfaces of the sawhorses allow for the shift/rotation action of my Pittbull stand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts